Quit without a job? Need advise, please help

1. I am really upset right now. I'm in the project management cum consultancy line. This is different from a normal PM/ consultancy work because we operate more like the middle-person (as we do not have the expertise) and we deal with developing countries all over.

We have a project in one of these countries and a team was sent in (which includes my Deputy VP). I don't know what happened over there, she couldn't meet the person she wanted to meet for work. She sent a nasty e-mail to me, cc my CEO, complaining about the bad arrangement. She wanted me to take note of these things for internal control.

Honestly, I do not know how to improve. Seems like the best thing is to take things slow till every thing is settled and cast in stone before the team moves in. But if so, many things would be delayed and we won't meet the min time requirement stated in the contract! Anyone in the PM line would know the degree of uncertainty we face everyday and anything can happen.

I have been in this job for 3 months and really it is kind of hell for me. I couldn't sleep properly and got to learn almost everything myself for the job. I fell sick 4 times over 2 months, migraine for 2 times. I tried my best but it is not helpful as my team is severly shorthanded and everyone is new! My CEO is aware that we are shorthanded but nothing much is done. He is a very distant man at work.

I really want to quit but I have not found a job. I should be able to live on my savings for a month or two without problem. But I need advise on how you would handle. Would you persist and cling on to this job till you find a new one?

2. Oh for sure hang on to a job until you have another in line. IMHO I'd let your superior know of your plans! Sometimes putting the pressure UP the line will free things up before you can blink! I don't know anything about the field you work in but if it were me- I'd stick it out- be a trooper and do my job at my best. I hope things work out for you!

3. I'm sorry to hear you're having a hard time at your job. I think though that you should definitely find another job before you quit. I don't think you should deplete your savings.

Good luck and best wishes to you. *hug*

4. thanks alot, missisa07 and Alaska
    I feel so upset now. But your words mean so much to me.

My friend was telling me that there are tons of such people in the corporate world. He said it's inevitable that we meet them during the course of work. I feel so sad that humans are treating one another badly just because of work? Oh darn.... why am I still believing that people should treat one another fairly?!

sorry for the rant. need to get it off off off my chest!

5. oranGetRee, I'm sorry you're going through a hard time. If it's truly that miserable and you have enough to live on for a month or two, then I say just quit. I was in the same situation... I was at a job for a few months that I realized was completely not for me and I dreaded going to work everyday. I ended up just quitting against everyone's advice. To be honest, I have no idea why people claim that it's easier to be hired while you still have a job versus being unemployed. I've never had a problem with that. I just quit my job, then found a new one within three weeks.

I wish you the very best of luck.

6. You're going to have tons of jobs that you don't particularly like in your years to come, so get used to that idea. In the future, the best thing you can do is do you homework with potential employers and hope that you've found the best spot for you.
    In this case...never leave a job unless you have another lined up. Obviously there are exceptions, but again, in your case...tough it out and look for another employer on the down low. In the mean time, talk with your direct manager and explain your situation. Perhaps this is your time to shine by implementing new procedures to handle certain issues, but, if you're really doing all you can, take some time to relax. You can't initiate world peace on your own. You can only do so much. In other words, don't take it personally. You know you're doing what you should, and if other people don't see that, f*ck 'em. As long as your boss is aware, that's all that matters.

7. Don't quit before finding another job...you don't want to leave on bad terms...hope everything works out..either there or at another place.

8. As a recruiter, when I see/ meet someone who has left a job before they find a new one, its a red flag for me, especially if I know they were only at that job for a few months. It tells me you can't stick things out during hard times, that you easily will walk when things are tough, that you lack committment. Now these things may not be true about you, I'm just saying on paper, this is what it looks like. If you interview while you have a job, you are able to explain that you took a job that was not what you thought it would be, that leadership did not support the employees and you wont stay in that type of environment - I would not share any more specifics than that with a potential employer, as the more you tell about the situation, the more you will sound negative to an employer. Keep your interview positive!

What you do have going for you - it's an employees market right now, someone with PM skills are highly sought, so you won't have a problem finding something you will enjoy more than your current position.

Best of luck!

9. I have to agree with needanotherhandbag on the resume front. I'm not a recruiter (I'm a project manager), but I do review resumes when my team is hiring. So many resumes come in and there is so much to weed through, it doesn't take much to get knocked out of the running. I find it's easier to explain why you're leaving a current job instead of why you quit without airing too much dirty laundry personally (but maybe that's just me).

Without the details of what happened, I really don't have any advice on how to handle the overall situation. I would recommend a discussion with your manager regarding your concerns though. It could be something that can be improved or it could be typical behavior for that particular person. Good luck and feel free to PM me. I've been doing this project management stuff for awhile (eek around 7 years!), so I'm happy to help if I can. Good luck! :flowers:

10. I think you should tough it out as best as you can, and find another job prior to just quitting or giving notice. You don't want to burn through your savings.

11. I would agree to stay while you look for another job. I hope you find one soon!!

12. I'm in the same position as you... I hate the job that I'm currently at, and I've been looking non-stop for some time now, but I just haven't found anything. Although I've been so close to quitting many times, I've decided I'm just going to stick it out until I find something else first before quitting. I wouldn't want it to ruin my chances at getting a position elsewhere in the future. I think you'd be best off staying there until you find something else. Best of luck!

13. I am very grateful to all the replies.

I cried buckets of tears last night. In my whole 8 years of work life, I have never been in such hopeless helpless situation before....

But I am really glad to say you all sweeties have given me mental support and force my brain to be logical in spite of all the angry emotions inside. I will still do my best for this job but I decided that I will leave once there is a good offer.

Thank goodness that weekend is coming!

14. ^ -Hugs-

15. I'm so sorry it's been so bad for you, hang in there!