Arts & Crafts Quilters Club!!

dearmissie

I'm MARRIED!!
Aug 16, 2007
I really wanna learn to quilt some day. I think it's a great way to capture memories while staying snug and warm. (Haha!) Let's makes this a place where quilters can come together to share technique and tips for one another. And of course photos always encouraged!! :tup:

Yay for quilts!!!

A women I work with makes amazing quilts and has been asking me for years to make one with her! So I finally decided to make one!

It has been so much fun! I am almost done, I need to put the border on the back and then take it to be quilted and then sew the binding on. I should be done next month! I cant wait to post pictures once I am done!!!

We are trying to pick out the next pattern for once we are done this quilt!

Reactions: OogleAtLuxury
I don't quilt, but my grandmother does. She is kind of obsessed, lol. She buys super spendy fabric and by the time she is done w/ most quilts, she has put out close to $1k w/ the batting and paying someone to machine quilt the backing. I've got 2 she made and I don't have them on any of the beds in my house. I should put one in the spare room.

I have been making quilts for about 12 years! I used to live in San Diego so I took a class at "Quilt In A Day" to learn the basics and have been self-taught since then. Mostly I make "lap-sized" and baby quilts but I have made several bed-sized quilts too, including 2 queen-sized. I like really "piece-y" quilts and favor reproduction fabrics---Civil War, depression-era, etc.

I have made about 4 crib quilts, I'm not brave enough to attempt a full size one yet! Aloha, I promise the binding isn't as hard as it seems. I did take a class at my local fabric store and that's where I was taught how to do the binding, otherwise, I probably would have NEVER attempted it.

I don't have a picture of the first one I made but I do of the others.

This one was made for a girl who didn't want to know the sex of the baby:
ry%3D400

This for one of my friends that was having a girl and loves frogs:
ry%3D400

This one for my DH's cousin who was having a pooh themed nursery:
Here's a picture of just the top of the quilt before the middle and back were put on
ry%3D400

and here's a pic right after the binding was sewn on the front, before the pins were taken out
ry%3D400

As you guys can see, I stick to the SAME quilt pattern everytime lol. I'm not fancy enough to do anything but squares for the time being :smile:

Reactions: Arietta
I took some pictureof some of my quilts the other day--I apologize in advance if some of them are a bit blurry. I wish I had some of my baby quilts to show but they have all been given away to the new Mommies! My GF is having a baby in mar. and I'm gonna make her one so I will post pics of it if I can ever get started.

Anyway...this is a double Irish chain I made when I first stated quilting. For some reason I thought I had to double-up on the batting so it's extra-thick with two layers of cotton batting! The colors are hard to see but it's a figured dark green with a figured tan. The backing is the dark green fabric.

Attachments

• irish chain.JPG
    irish chain.JPG
    189.9 KB · Views: 364
Next is a lap quilt. I think the pattern is called "Goose In The Garden". As you can see I got very "piece-y" with the backing. It's a great way to use up extra fabric. I like to use flannels for backing, it makes the quilt more cozy IMO. Excuse the cats, they can never mind their own business.

Attachments

• gig frontal with cats.JPG
    gig frontal with cats.JPG
    186.5 KB · Views: 364
  • goose-in-garden back.JPG
    goose-in-garden back.JPG
    175.3 KB · Views: 360
I really want to learn how to quilt! Where do I start? I have a ton of fabric remnets (1 -3 yard) I just found this forum today and I think this is the push I need to get started! Anyone else starting from square one and wants to learn together?

I love quilting! I tend to give my Mum all my quilts that I've made. I usually finish them during christmas break which is why she's been getting them as christmas gifts for the last few years!

I procrastinated last year and sewed for three days straight...I even showed up to the christmas party late because I was sewing it!!!

I'll see if I can post pics!

Here are two of them. I sewed the zebra one with scraps in one afternoon...it was a quick quilting fix.

The second one I folded in half, so it's actually twice the size of what's pictured.

I used it when i was smaller to keep my stuffed animals warm...haha. yeah i've been sewing quite a while. I can't find the last one I made for my Mother or the first one I made for her...those are the biggest and most 'complex'... if I do I will definitely post here!

Attachments

• IMG_6038.JPG
    IMG_6038.JPG
    99.5 KB · Views: 356
  • IMG_6042.JPG
    IMG_6042.JPG
    98.5 KB · Views: 361
Oh wow these quilts are gorgeous! I have nooooo idea how to quilt but my grandmother used to all the time! We still have some of her quilts here at the house and I will take pictures of them later, she used all sorts of little scraps and there usually isn't a rhyme or reason to them but they are lovely and awh I miss my grandma! :heart:

Pics to come!