1. I remember my parents being disturbed by this movie. (And if you've seen the movie, you'll know why.)

It was on last summer on HBO and out of curiosity, I watched it.

It is fascinating. Michael Caine has such range as an actor. I remember him as the pageant coach from Miss Congenialty. In this movie, he's the evil doctor.

Watching the movie, I kept saying over and over again, "They're only writings! What's the big deal?"

Then I read The Mystified Magistrate by The Marquis de Sade and I saw why: he disparaged the church, authority figures and described graphic sex scenes, all of which were unheard of at the time.

The infamous writer, The Marquis de Sade of 18th Century France, is imprisoned for unmentionable activities at Charanton Insane Asylumn. He manages to befriend the young Abbe de Coulmier, who run's the asylumn, along with a beautiful laundress named Madeline. Things go terribly wrong when the Abbe finds out that the Marquis' books are being secretly published. Emperor Napolean contemplates sending Dr. Royer-Collard to oversee the asylumn, a man famed for his torturous punishments. It could mean the end of Charanton and possibly the Marquis himself.
    (from imdb)
  2. Because he wrote what he did, he was called insane and locked up. Ironically, it was writing that kept him sane, at least in the movie, and the more they denied him writing implements, the crazier he got.

(I'm just now starting a topic on this because I found this movie when I was channel surfing.)
  3. Madeleine: Some things belong on paper, others in life. It's a blessed fool who can't tell the difference.

Marquis de Sade: Conversation, like certain portions of the anatomy, always runs more smoothly when lubricated.

Madeleine: He's a writer, not a madman.

Royer-Collard: You prefer a book to your husband's company? Well no wonder, I'm only flesh and blood - that's no match for the printed page!

4. My God, I'd go crazy if I was no longer allowed to express myself. If I were him, I'd probably make up and recite things in my cell all day. Even if nobody heard them. Just so my mind was still working.
  5. Great movie! I had to buy it on DVD after I watched it on TV.:nuts: Michael Caine, Kate Winslett and Geoffrey Rush are ALL brilliant in it!
  6. Excellent movie! I have read many works by the Marquis de Sade. I find him fascinating. He was way ahead of his time. I highly recommend Justine and Philosophy in the Bedroom.
  7. Fantastic movie! One of my all time faves. Everyone involved was incredible. It probably should have gotten more oscar nods than it did, but as we all know, the oscars rarely choose the best films!