Quick, Easy, and Healthy Personal Recipes~!

1. I read a post by Megs about a black bean dip where she mentions some of the ingredients that go into the dip and was intrigued about knowing everything she puts in the dip...(kinda anal about recipes...love to follow ingredient by ingredient:amuse: ) and was inspired to post a quick and healthy breakfast I make sometimes. I know a lot of us ladies are always on the go... so something quick, easy and healthy is the way to go...sometimes its hard coming up with these type of recipes...so let's share.

Healthy Omelette:
    1/2 or 1 cup of Egg Beaters
    1/2 tomato, chopped
    1/2 small onion, chopped
    handful of low fat/fat free shredded cheddar cheese
    sprinkle of salt and pepper
    paprika (optional)

In a small non-stick frying pan, spray PAM and add tomatoes and onions and brown; set aside. Re-spray pan with PAM and add eggs to form one layer and let it set. Then add the tomatoes, onions, salt, pepper and paprika on one side of the layer, sprinkle cheese on top and flip to form a pocket...like the pita pockets. Flip the 'pocket' to brown other side and voila~!

any other quick and healthy recipes? Post please~! (Black bean dip recipe too, Megs....please....;) )

2. nada?

3. Ok time for me to share!!!! :love: :biggrin:

Spicy Black Bean and Corn Salad

- 1 can of Black Beans rinsed and well-drained
    - corn kernels from 2 ears of corn (or 2 cups of corn
    - 1/2 red onion minced
    - 1/2 red bell pepper diced
    - 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
    - chipotle chili pepper minced (as much as you'd like)
    - 2 tbps extra virgin olive oil
    - juice of 1 fresh lime
    - salt to taste

You can add or take out any of that... It is great with chips, on top of rice, with chicken... or just plain!

4. aha. great~! sounds yummy....

thanks for posting, Megs~!!

5. I'll share! :nuts: Most of these are single servings, since my boyfriend eats whatever he wants and doesn't gain an ounce :p

Shrimp, Spinach and Gorgonzola Cheese Quesadillas

- Two whole wheat low carb quesadillas
    - 1/2 cup frozen baby salad shrimp (frozen seafood section)
    - 1/2 cup spinach leaves
    - 1/4 cup gorgonzola cheese
    - 1/2 tsp. lemon juice

Spray pan with Pam. Heat on stovetop, medium heat. Defrost shrimp in microwave for 2:30 to 3 minutes. While shrimp are defrosting, lay tortillas flat on a paper towel. Put half of the gorgonzola cheese, spinach and 1/4 tsp. lemon juice on one half of the tortilla. Do the same for the other tortilla. When shrimp are finished defrosting, put half a serving on each tortilla, and fold the tortillas over to close them. Put the tortillas in the heated pan, cooking them on each side until they're golden brown. Remove from heat and serve. Works well with chicken, too! Other combinations: chicken or shrimp with black beans, mushrooms, onions and low fat shredded cheddar cheese.

Mediterranean Chicken or Fish

- Fillet of tilapia or salmon, or 4 oz. chicken breast
    - 1 tbsp. olive oil
    - 1/2 tsp. lemon juice
    - 1/2 tsp. oregano
    - 1/4 tsp. thyme
    - 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
    - Grape tomatoes, halved
    - Sliced black olives
    - Salt and pepper, to taste

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix olive oil, lemon juice, oregano, thyme, and garlic powder. Add tomatoes and black olives, mix. Spray cookie sheet with Pam. Spread mixture on top of chicken or fish, place on cookie sheet and place in the oven. Bake chicken for 20-25 minutes, fish for 10-12. Remove from heat and serve.

Egg White Omelet with Cheese, Mushrooms and Onions

- 1/3 cup egg whites (Egg Beaters work great)
    - 1/4 cup or less low fat shredded cheddar or Mexican blend cheese
    - Sliced mushrooms
    - Diced onion
    - Salt and pepper, to taste

Spray pan with Pam, heat on low to medium. Pour in egg whites, allow to cook on one side until edges are kind of crispy and golden. Sprinkle salt and pepper. On one half of the egg whites, add cheese, mushrooms and onion, then fold the empty half over to cover the ingredients. Continue cooking until cheese is melted and ingredients are heated. Remove from heat and serve. Best with a baked sweet potato with a small bit of butter, cinnamon and Splenda :nuts:

Honey Mustard & Light Mayo Salmon

- Salmon fillet
    - 1 tbsp. light mayonnaise
    - 1 tbsp. honey
    - 1 tbsp. dijon mustard
    Or you can mix all of these items to taste.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix mayo, honey and mustard together. Spray cookie sheet with Pam, place fish on sheet. Cover fish with mixture, bake in the oven for 10-12 minutes, or until fish flakes with a fork. Remove from heat and serve.

Protein Pancakes

- 1/3 cup old fashioned oatmeal
    - 1/4 cup egg whites
    - 1/2 jar flavored baby food (yes, I know it sounds crazy!) My favorites are vanilla, sweet potato, guava, apple strawberry, mango.
    - 1 scoop vanilla flavored soy or whey protein powder
    - 2 packets Splenda
    - cinnamon, to taste

Spray pan with Pam, heat on stove on low to medium. In a bowl, mix the ingredients together. Pour batter into pan, making mini-sized pancakes (this should make about three). Cook pancakes on each side until golden brown. Remove from heat and serve with reduced sugar maple syrup, or natural peanut butter and sliced strawberries :love:

6. Yum... is it bad that this thread makes me super hungry?!

7. texaschic thanks for this thread........i don't have a recipe as i'm not much of a cook but all of these sound really good......i'll hafta try them out some time after exams when i have time to cook......

megs for your recipe if you want it over rice do you just dump some of the stuff over sticky/non sticky rice and mix or don't mix? sounds really good tho....

cirstina your fish recipes sound divine.....and healthy :p

8. That dip sounds so yummy! I'm definitely make it here in the next couple of days!

Cristina - Keep those recipes coming! I definitely need more ideas! The Med Fish sounds absolutely yummy! Not to mention the omelette. I've been avoiding eggs because I feel so guilty for not consuming the yolks. I feel like I'm wasting food.

9. Egg whites in the carton are one of the best creations ever. Seriously, whoever thought of that idea deserves a big kiss :p I pick up a small carton of Egg Beaters egg whites in the egg section of the grocery store, and use them to make my omelets and scrambled eggs. Before making this grand discovery, I also felt guilty about not eating the yolks :shame: :p

10. The consistency of the dip is like a salsa- so I just put it on top of the rice and then get some with each bite! You can have it with so many things and it is really good and really healthy- has lots of protein and good veggies!!

11. I buy Eggology Egg Whites! Love that stuff and I love egg whites-- they are the best part for you anyhow!! :idea:

12. Cristina: great recipes~! thanks for posting...I will try some tomorrow...maybe the Mediterranean Fish...yummy.

13. Cristina, you are such a chef! I have so much to learn...

I can not cook at all:sad2:

14. Sure you can... !!! :idea:

15. :nuts::nuts:I can but it is quite dangerous! I live in an apartment and there have been 2 times that I set off the smoke detectors and my bf said, " this is not a place for babies!":p