Questions of a first time Birkin owner...

1. Dearest all,
    I am still on a high due to the arrival of my first ever B. I need your help with a few itsy bitsy questions I have though. Thank you so very much for your help in advance.

> I am scared of removing the cover on the feet in case they get damaged super fast. Any feedback? I can't imagine putting her on the floor at the moment, but - travel a fair bit for work, so it is bound to happen.

> Speaking of travelling, as I live in the UK, we still have extraordinary security measures at the airports and are allowed one bag only on board. As I cannot and will not pack my beloved Birkin, what do you do? Put her in a larger bag? Sorry if the q sounds silly, but I carry around a fair bit when I travel.

> I actually carry around a lot on a daily basis as well. I comfortably fit makeup bag, umbrella, some notes, wallet, keys, two phones, a blackberry and t-shirt for the gym in my bag yesterday. Am I running the risk of deforming her? (Black clemence)

> I am off to Madrid and then Paris in 10 days. I wouldn't dare take her to Madrid (sorry to my Spaniard friends here, but I was mugged there, still slightly traumatised). I am torn between taking her to Paris to her birthplace (well, birth country) and having a practical bag to carry around whilst shopping.

> A wallet related q: excluding H wallets, which wallet do you think would look classy enough for black w/gold hw. My beloved light colour Bottega is looking a bit too casual. I was thinking of perhaps the same wallet in patent leather.

Sorry about all these little, seemingly unimportant questions, but I am ultimately so happy that I have the bag to make me worry about these silly points. Hugs to all x

2. congrats on your beautiful birkin. (post pics when you get the chance) as for the travelling question---> some of the ladies use a large/XL longchamp tote which they put their bags in during the flight so as to not scratch or injure their beloved birkin. For going to france-----> you would be sooo happy to bring your B there. A lot of ladies carry theirs around walking on the street or shopping, even on the subway. Again congrats and enjoy your beautiful bag

3. Ebruo - I'll attempt to answer some of your question these are JMHO;

Remove all plastic this bag is meant to be used and loved the feet are there to protect the bottom of the bag. Don't sweat it.

Many travel with their birkin inside a Longchamp pliages I have not bothered with this I have laid it down and let it go through the xray but I believe I will buy a pliages for protection before I go to Europe.

I wouldn't be concerned about deforming her just tighten the straps of an evening and lay the bag on its back.

My concern if you take the bag to Europe and not use it - is that it will be unattended in your room. If you are not confident about using the bag in Spain can you secure it in the hotel safe while you stay there (unlikely as it takes up so much room). Skip it if you need a practical shopping type bag.

Can't tell you much about wallets/purses as I don't know the one you have. But I use an LV Epi leather purse and separate card holder and find both sturdy and appropriate for my H bags.

Have a great trip :flowers:

4. Congrats on your new bag! I am not sure I would take my birkin to Europe if I planned to do a lot of shopping. The Longchamp would be a good option.

I have taken all the plastic off my bags and just use them. I like the slightly "used", i.e., well loved look.

I think the LV epi wallets are very chic, yet sturdy. Even though I have an H wallet and Chanel wallet, I find myself using my LV damier koala wallet and change purse with my rouge H and gold birkins. The colors seem to coordinate well. I am sure bottega would look lovely as well.

5. > I am scared of removing the cover on the feet in case they get damaged super fast. Any feedback? I can't imagine putting her on the floor at the moment, but - travel a fair bit for work, so it is bound to happen.

I'd just leave the film on the feet. They will bound to fall off by themselves anyway.

And I have no qualms about putting my Birkin on the floor if I have to. I will find ways to avoid it, but if I have to, I will.

> Speaking of travelling, as I live in the UK, we still have extraordinary security measures at the airports and are allowed one bag only on board. As I cannot and will not pack my beloved Birkin, what do you do? Put her in a larger bag? Sorry if the q sounds silly, but I carry around a fair bit when I travel.
    I am probably the odd one out here. I really can't be bothered to bring a Birkin on vacation. Too much fuss.

> I actually carry around a lot on a daily basis as well. I comfortably fit makeup bag, umbrella, some notes, wallet, keys, two phones, a blackberry and t-shirt for the gym in my bag yesterday. Am I running the risk of deforming her? (Black clemence)
    Clemence is a souple leather, and it will soften over time, whether or not you load your Birkin. It doesn't appear like you are over-straining your Birkin. You are using your Birkin like you should.

> I am off to Madrid and then Paris in 10 days. I wouldn't dare take her to Madrid (sorry to my Spaniard friends here, but I was mugged there, still slightly traumatised). I am torn between taking her to Paris to her birthplace (well, birth country) and having a practical bag to carry around whilst shopping.
    I'd leave the Birkin at home, bring a practical shoulder bag. You may bring another orange box home, who knows!

> A wallet related q: excluding H wallets, which wallet do you think would look classy enough for black w/gold hw. My beloved light colour Bottega is looking a bit too casual. I was thinking of perhaps the same wallet in patent leather.
    A Chanel wallet.

6. Ebruo: congrats on your newly acquired black Birkin!! Yes, I can imagine the excitement and euphoria!!

I think Mrs.Sparkles gave you lots of great answers there! I agree with her, whenever I travel to places where I'd be walking outdoor a lot, or when I have to go through numerous security x-rays and checks, I prefer not to bring my Birkin. I'd worry too much about it... afraid that the x-ray belt is dirty and would leave marks on the bag, afraid that the guard would rough-handle it, or that it would be susceptible to rain or snow :sweatdrop:. Besides, I like to bring a shoulder bag when I travel because it leaves your two hands free to hold on to your carry-all or when you need to carry shopping bags!

As for the plastic covers on the feet, I would also just leave them on until they peel off by themselves. It's not that obvious so it doesn't really change the appearance of the Birkin, and at the same time they protect the precious feet!
    I've been using the H Dogon wallet for the last two years now, and personally I think it's great! One word of caution though, if you're the type to worry and fuss about your Birkin, you might want to consider using an all-leather wallet for your Birkin. My experience with the Dogon is that the hardware sometimes leaves indent marks on the inside bottom of my Birkin. So that's one thing for you to consider.

Enjoy and treasure your new Birkin!!

7. I am scared of removing the cover on the feet in case they get damaged super fast. Any feedback? I can't imagine putting her on the floor at the moment, but - travel a fair bit for work, so it is bound to happen.

Take it off! My Birkin has travelled from the US to the UK, Spain, etc.

Speaking of travelling, as I live in the UK, we still have extraordinary security measures at the airports and are allowed one bag only on board. As I cannot and will not pack my beloved Birkin, what do you do? Put her in a larger bag? Sorry if the q sounds silly, but I carry around a fair bit when I travel.

I carry my Birkin inside a Longchamp tote through the UK...the XL tote fits my Birkin + a few things... I have also carried Birkin only on the way home...no issues... I place under my legs on the plane...

I actually carry around a lot on a daily basis as well. I comfortably fit makeup bag, umbrella, some notes, wallet, keys, two phones, a blackberry and t-shirt for the gym in my bag yesterday. Am I running the risk of deforming her? (Black clemence)

LOL...I love clemence... She is likely to get slouchy just as she is... I say love the loose girl...use her well!

I am off to Madrid and then Paris in 10 days. I wouldn't dare take her to Madrid (sorry to my Spaniard friends here, but I was mugged there, still slightly traumatised). I am torn between taking her to Paris to her birthplace (well, birth country) and having a practical bag to carry around whilst shopping.

I saw several H bags being carried in Madrid...although they were primarily Kelly bags... Madrid H had a few gorgeous exotics (ostrich) in stock when I was there... I carried my Birkin while shopping in Madrid... I might suggest a Bearn wallet...it fits quite nicely in the interior zipper pocket and increases security... I think I used my Massai for site-seeing days...

A wallet related q: excluding H wallets, which wallet do you think would look classy enough for black w/gold hw. My beloved light colour Bottega is looking a bit too casual. I was thinking of perhaps the same wallet in patent leather.

In terms of H...I think the Bearn and AZAP wallets... The Bearn is a bit smaller, so it moves easily from larger to smaller bags...the AZAP is my favorite for everyday...

Sorry about all these little, seemingly unimportant questions, but I am ultimately so happy that I have the bag to make me worry about these silly points. Hugs to all...

Not a problem...I recall thinking through these things at one point... I think about what bag I will want to have w/ me in X location... Always a Birkin or Kelly...sometimes a Massai (so easy to pack) as well... LOL...I took a Birkin and two Kelly bags to NYC last fall...

8. 1) TAKE OFF THE PLASTIC!! That's the first thing I do with my bags, which travel all around the US and Europe with me. Their naked feet still look good as new. :smile: I also think I read somewhere that the plastic, if left on, can eventually glue bits of itself onto the metal. I don't know if that's true, but IMO it's best to hedge your bets and strip them off.

2) I always travel with my Birkin in a Longchamp tote - which can come in handy on its own. The tote protects the Birkin through the security checkpoint and in the overhead lockers and under-seat storage on the plane.

3) Clemence will slouch a bit no matter what you do, but you can minimize the squashed look by pulling on or doing up the front straps.

4) I wear both birkins and kellys in Paris and see French women doing the same, even on the Metro. If I know I'm going somewhere where a Birkin or Kelly might be inconvenient or if security is going to be a real issue, I'll take one of my other bags that is light and packs flat, usually a Balenciaga.

5) As to wallets, I think that's a very personal choice. I personally prefer the slimness and the lines of the Bearn, so simple and chic - great for any bag. But who says your wallet has to be Hermes? The black patent one you're considering sounds lovely.

Hope that helps.

Have a great trip!!

9. I take both a Birkin and a comfortable shoulder tote with me when I travelled-I carry the Birkin on the plane and pack the other bag. I have a small folding Chanel wallet that I can put in the zipper section of the Birkin to be safe cause I like to leave my bag open so I can get in and out of it easily.

10. Congratulations Ebruo on your birkin. Black clemance w/ gold h/w is a great first bag combo.
    As everyone has given you great answers I'll just say enjoy your bag!
    P.S. My SA did say that you need to take the plastic off as it will discolour the hardware eventually and if you go into a H store and they see it, they will rush over and remove it immediately (it happened to me!).

11. Ebruo,
    I also just received my first Birkin. I live in Canada but I bought it in the U.S. I went down to pick it up. I didn't take any of the plastic off and carried it back to Hermes like that just to have the Store Director tie a scarf on for me.
    She noticed the plastic and we had a laugh and I took it off.
    I had to fly home commercial and I was also selected for extra security!!!
    My Birkin was out of my sight while they waved a wand over me and checked the bottoms of my feet. I even had to undo my belt!!!
    I was very worried about losing my bag. They checked the contents of it and also wiped it down with some cotton 2x2 pad????? I was livid but what can you say? The security person was very nice and sympathetic and doing his job. After all this I was in serious need of a drink but my Birkin was none the worse for wear! I have put the few scratches on myself with my rings and fingernails. I try to rub the scratches out with my fingers and my leather is also Clemence. I don't think any ones new bag has suffered the indignities of mine and it is fine,so I say relax and insure it!(just kidding)
    Cheers.

12. I have aq couple H bags, but in the beginning, I was kinda hesistant to buy an H wallet too! I can be kind of hard on wallets, and I still rotate my wallet from bag to bag. Ms B has a Bagmate and my Fortune Cookie Kelly is usually quite bare, but I have some great (sometimes pretty slouchy!) Signature bags from other fashionhouses too...

I ended up with a Vision Zip so I could tote a checkbook around too. I just ended up treating it much nicer than the previous ones and keeping my bags cleaner. A bonus all around for my sometimes messy self!

13. Dearest all,
    I am still on a high due to the arrival of my first ever B. I need your help with a few itsy bitsy questions I have though. Thank you so very much for your help in advance.

> I am scared of removing the cover on the feet in case they get damaged super fast. Any feedback? I can't imagine putting her on the floor at the moment, but - travel a fair bit for work, so it is bound to happen.

Take it all off!! I got over the 'not putting it on the floor stage' fairly quickly. It's a bag...

I started off with using a Longchamp for travel, got over that too....

I don't know... I don't have a clemence

Prefer to take Kelly on vacation, easier with the shoulder strap

I use a black Chanel quilted lambskin with gold h/w

Sorry about all these little, seemingly unimportant questions, but I am ultimately so happy that I have the bag to make me worry about these silly points. Hugs to all

Congrats and enjoy your bag.:heart:

14. > I am scared of removing the cover on the feet in case they get damaged super fast. Any feedback? I can't imagine putting her on the floor at the moment, but - travel a fair bit for work, so it is bound to happen.
    Plastic on the feet won't matter much. You can leave it on and let it fall off eventually, or, take it off now with the rest of the plastic. The feet are there to protect the bag; they will get a little scratched but not anything too drastic with normal use.

I know the Longchamp Pliage is popular here. I just use the Birkin as my carry-on. It forces me to be selective about what I take, and that usually ends up being a good thing.

Not a problem. I have black clemence and have used it heavily for 6-7 years; I take good care of it and it is in great shape. No slouch. When you aren't using it regularly, store it on its back, straps pulled into position to restore the bag's shape (doesn't have to be in the metal guides though), and I like to put a carefully folded/rolled towel in the bag to help maintain the shape.

If you are worried, skip the Birkin. But it is fun to carry a Birkin in Paris!!

> A wallet related q: excluding H wallets, which wallet do you think would look classy enough for black w/gold hw. My beloved light colour Bottega is looking a bit too casual. I was thinking of perhaps the same wallet in patent leather
    I use a folded black LV epi leather wallet; it is indestructible.

Congratulations on your bag!