Question for those of us who work 60+ hours a week...

1. Just curious, do you stay up fairly late?

I go to bed around 9:00 or 9:30 (wow, I am so lame), but have A LOT of friends (mostly in finance it seems) that can work 16 straight hours, then go out and party or have dinner with friends, etc.

I basically come home, snarf whatever's edible and crash. I'm considering that perhaps I would feel like I had a more balanced life (i.e. not consumed by work) if I just stayed up late and did the things I don't have time to do but would like to, like read a book or talk to my boyfriend, whatever.

What about you gals? How late do you stay up?

2. If you stayed up later would you feel as rested? I guess staying up later just depends on how much sleep you need. Everyone is different. I'm a night owl! I cannot get in bed before 12 for anything!

3. I don't work that much, but I do work a full 8 hour day and then I school right after work until about 9pm. I usually just go home and sleep. But I 'think' I make up for it on the weekend. I tend to get up earlier on the weekend to get things done, go for breakfast with friends/boyfriend, shop, relax (assuming my hw is done).

I know for sure that after school, I have to go home and sleep. I can't do the next day if I didn't. Sometimes I have to stay up to study and that definitely puts a strain on me. I need sleep or I can't function.

4. I've turned into more and more of a nightowl since I've gotten older...I can't remember the last time I went to bed before midnight!

In my most recent consulting gig I did work more than 60 hours a week but it was a little different in that every so often I had to run overnight deployments. So, often I would come home early around 5pm or so, have a light dinner, take a snooze and then get back to work around 9:30 or 10 and work through the night. I could then go into work much later than usual the next day.

When I worked more 'normal' hours I used to get up as early as 5am to be at work around 6:30am. This is because I was managing a wide variety of shifts and needed to get in earlier to keep an eye on them. In other jobs I had clients on the east coast or in Europe, so as a west coaster I needed to be up and on early. And in yet other jobs the culture was to start late, work late. You literally could not schedule anything before 9am or no one would show up!

I guess it just varies and you just need to do what works for your health and lifestyle. I remember the days I could be out partying till 3am and then still make an 8am appointment with no problems but those days are LONG gone!!!

5. My husband owns his own business, so he doesn't really have regulated work hours. He wakes up at around 6:30am and after we have breakfast and have a little bit of "family time" with the baby, he starts working. He works throughout the day until around 9 or 10 pm...Sometimes later.

Would you feel well rested and would you still be able to do your job well if you did stay up later? Everybody needs a different amount of sleep per night to feel well rested the next day. Who knows how some of your colleagues do it...Maybe they drink coffee all day like it's water? Maybe they take naps whenever they can? Maybe they're functioning on E and struggle to get throughout the day? ...or maybe they're just used to it?

6. I have always lived on only a few hours sleep per night and almost never go to sleep before midnight or one. I have loads of energy and rarely feel tired.

7. i have an irregular schedule and i always had. there are times when I work 20 hours a day and then there are times where i work very little. but I do try to get as much sleep as I possibly can.

maybe this is your friends' way to relax? it could also be that they will burn out faster down the road. or they sleep lots during the weekend. i think it is also a question of age and lifestyle. single and young usually equals going out isn't it? ;)

8. Guess I'm lame too...I'm in bed by 9, sometimes earlier...

9. I'm usually in bed by 9:30p at the latest, mostly because I get up at 4:45a to hit the gym for an hour or more before work.

10. 10 or 12 hour days are not unusual for me in my new position...I usually don't stay out late after that long of a workday..but I do try to at least do a happy hour during the week right after work with the girls.

I am usually in bed around 10:00, and get up around 5:00......

11. I'm in law school and BF has kids that visit often. So I am in my PJs by 6:30 or 7:00pm and I get up in the middle of the night to study. I get up anywhere between 1am and 4am depending on how much reading I have to do.

12. I often stay up really late. I have trouble going to bed before 3 a.m. However, I don't always work early in the morning. If I do work early in the morning chances are I haven't had enough sleep and I'll probably take a nap when I get home. I often work a lot of hours but they aren't a typical 9 - 5. The hours that I go out to work vary and then I do about 2/3 of my work at home, so I often do that at night. However, I do hardly ever go out and do stuff other than maybe see a movie or something. I rarely go out to clubs are bars anymore. I just don't have the energy.

13. Oh George! I stay up til at least Midnight every night, and am up anytime between 5 and 6:30 to begin my day! I am not a party girl, by no means, but I stay up and spend time with my family, do some housework and hit tPF three or four times before bed time...I am sure this can't last forever!

14. Wow, I don't work that much but I do the whole work and school 12+hr thing. I stayed up til around midnight, but I'm reallly tired the next day. =\ But when I sleep early, I feel even more tired from sleeping too much.

15. I don't work anywhere near 60+ hours pw, but I do really physical work that leaves me feeling like I've been at the gym all day. I feel like such a loser but I have to be in bed by 10pm on weekdays because I'm too knackered otherwise (plus I have to be up at six and I like my 8 hours rest).