Question about Yard Sales

Wow! I see yard sales around here all the time but I never go to them thinking that all they would have is garbage (hope I don't offend anyone!). I guess I am wrong!!!! I am actually going to go out tonight, so I'll keep an eye on all the signs for yard sales. Thanks for the inspiration, Selena!

We love yard sales too! Today's big find for us was a signed etching from 1925. Paid: $2.00. Got it home and Googled it. Value: $800.00! AT LEAST! We're taking it to a local dealer this week to have it looked at!

MIKOMEGMOM said:
I had a yard sale about 2 weeks ago and I had all my stuff priced to go. I had to make sure my hubby was no where to be found. He about died when he found out I sold furniture (sofa & loveseat) for $100. But I wanted it gone. I have stopped by a few garage sales where its clear the seller wants retail and their stuff does not move.

You have to really hit alot of sales to find good stuff. On a typical saturday we hit about 50 plus yard sales. With all the good stuff I have seen I have also seen dreck! One yard sale they were selling an old toilet that they didnt even both cleaning the poop stains out of it! Just today this lady had this nice childrens rug rolled up. I asked how much..she said $50 I unrolled it only to see barf all over it. I almost blew chunks all over the thing! OH I keep Purell right in my pocket!! LOL
But when you get the good finds...its a good day. I also got a brand new $300 jogging stroller for $20 and a new exercise bike (computerized, heart monitor thingy, fan, tension ect) for my mom for $30. Cant beat that!

Selena

print*model said:
We love yard sales too! Today's big find for us was a signed etching from 1925. Paid: $2.00. Got it home and Googled it. Value: $800.00! AT LEAST! We're taking it to a local dealer this week to have it looked at!

Holy Crap!! Great find!!!!!!
Selena

Selena said:
Holy Crap!! Great find!!!!!!
Selena

Thanks! We've been going for years! We have found some fantastic stuff over the years! Another example, my husband (who has a really good "eye") purchased a set of copper pots for $8.00 one Saturday morning. Sold them 5 days later for over $500.00!

More examples (while I'm on a roll):

- He also found a set of advertising airplanes one morning. Paid $6.00 for the two. Sold them less than a week later for $1,400.00!

- Stangl pottery plate. Paid $1.00. Sold it for $120.00.

- Vintage brooch. I paid 75 cents. Sold it for $120.00.

- Hubby bought a Hummel for $50.00. Sold it for $555.00.

- Hubby bought a bucket full of fishing rods for $25.00. Sold ONE rod for $500.00 to a lovely gentleman in Japan.

- I bought a Courrier and Ives print ("Here, Kitty Kitty") for $7.00. Sold for over $100.00.

- Playmobil dollhouse (fully furnished PLUS several extra sets). I paid $40.00 (UNBELIEVABLE DEAL!) and gave it to my daughter when she was little. Sold it two years later for between $600-$700.

I'm sure there are many more......I'll keep thinking.....:biggrin:

print*model said:
Thanks! We've been going for years! We have found some fantastic stuff over the years! Another example, my husband (who has a really good "eye") purchased a set of copper pots for $8.00 one Saturday morning. Sold them 5 days later for over $500.00!

More examples (while I'm on a roll):

- He also found a set of advertising airplanes one morning. Paid $6.00 for the two. Sold them less than a week later for $1,400.00!

- Stangl pottery plate. Paid $1.00. Sold it for $120.00.

- Vintage brooch. I paid 75 cents. Sold it for $120.00.

- Hubby bought a Hummel for $50.00. Sold it for $555.00.

- Hubby bought a bucket full of fishing rods for $25.00. Sold ONE rod for $500.00 to a lovely gentleman in Japan.

- I bought a Courrier and Ives print ("Here, Kitty Kitty") for $7.00. Sold for over $100.00.

- Playmobil dollhouse (fully furnished PLUS several extra sets). I paid $40.00 (UNBELIEVABLE DEAL!) and gave it to my daughter when she was little. Sold it two years later for between $600-$700.

I'm sure there are many more......I'll keep thinking.....:biggrin:

That is amazing. You seem to do as well as I do. I need to get into selling some stuff more! I buy more for myself and friends/family.
That is soooo great. I cant believe that dollhouse went for so much.
Do you ebay?
Selena

I know! It's a great way to find things for yourself and your friends/family. It's like going on a treasure hunt every Saturday morning! My DH has sold a few things on eBay that he has found. My mom is also addicted. We have our "Saturday phone call" each week to compare what we've found!

print*model said:
I know! It's a great way to find things for yourself and your friends/family. It's like going on a treasure hunt every Saturday morning! My DH has sold a few things on eBay that he has found. My mom is also addicted. We have our "Saturday phone call" each week to compare what we've found!

That is hysterical. You sound just like me. My kids have become VERY yard sale savy too. They buy all there birthday and holiday gifts from yard sale. My daughter box a box set of purfumes for a friend for $2. It was sealed and gift boxed. Our family appreciates the time they take to look for just the right thing and they use there own saved money. My son bought his grandmother a beautiful piece of waterford crystal today for .25 cents. She will be thrilled to have it and he has pride that he found it and bought it himself. They will shop for 20 people and only spend about $10-15 dollars. I feel good that they are learning to stretch a dollar. And its not like we need to but its a good skill to learn.
My mom and I do the same call thing too!
Selena

I grew up in a family of garage salers. I remember waking up early on saturdays so I could go w/my parents (a HUGE sacrifice to a teenager!) We got all sorts of fantastic deals. My mom used to buy old 50's prom dresses for my sisters and I to play dress-up with when we were little, and I remember my dad getting a several thousand dollar drafting table for $100 (he gave the woman $200, 'cause he felt like he was ripping her off)

My neighbors just had a sale today, and I took over a few things to sell, too. I made $100, but spent $80 on stuff from them:shame:, but I got a really great deal on some telemark skis and skate skis for my husband, and a two-volume boxed set Oxford English Dictionary for $2! (and a sunburn, I forgot to put on sunscreen!:blink:smile:

I saw an ad in the local paper today for a yard sale coming up next Friday,where there lady had listed (among items she was selling) Dooney&Bourke and Coach bags.OH YEA!i'll be the one circling that table like a VULTURE!:yes:

selena where do you find all of these amazing yard sales?....i live in jersey too and i've only seen like 3 in my life, and they never have anything besides old toys and stuff.....i looooove to shop (obviously) and spending every day all day going to yard sales would be such fun for me :biggrin:....i love a good bargain :P

jc2239 said:
selena where do you find all of these amazing yard sales?....i live in jersey too and i've only seen like 3 in my life, and they never have anything besides old toys and stuff.....i looooove to shop (obviously) and spending every day all day going to yard sales would be such fun for me :biggrin:....i love a good bargain :P

Hey
The best yard sales are in wealthy suburban areas. I cant give you exact locations or I will have to kill you :P .

You need areas with lots of kids and lots of SUVs and Mini Vans. Fortunately I live in such a town as this. So its in my own backyard!
What part of Jersey are you in?

Selena

hey selena......i PMed you.....your description sounds like my neighborhood.....why don't they have more yard sales :yucky:......will have to keep searching i guess :sad: