Question about uncomfirmed addresses

1. I just got this email:

"I'M ITALY FROM THE PURSE FORUM
    IN THIS MOMENT I'M THE HIGH BIDDER, IN THE CASE THAT I WILL WIN THE AUCTION, I CAN PAY VIA PAYPAL, BUT I'M NOT CONFIRMED ADDRESS 'CAUSE IN ITALY PAYPAL DON'T HAVE THIS POSSIBILITY.
    CAN I STILL BID ON THE AUCTION?
    THANKS"

My auction says "Confirmed only"... should I cancel this bid?

After my last fiasco, I really want to make sure I go exactly by the book.

2. I would recommend you to cancel the bid if you don't want to take risks. Also I don't trust the mail in Italy, I shipped to Italy once and of course package was lost. On the dutch eBay forum I read that happens very often. Also there is some rule about importing leather into Italy, it's not allowed.

About that confirmed adress, Paypal only confirms adresses in UK, Canada and US, so it's no use to state in the auction you ship worldwide and only accept confirmed adresses, I see that all the time in auctions. There is no way to confirm adresses other then in countries mentioned, has something to do with the credit card system.

Maybe you can suggest another payment method like bidpay?

3. I would get a wire transfer, or bidpay or I would cancel the bid. If they
    use Paypal and there is a problem, you will not be covered.

4. I'm an idiot and skimmed over the email-- didn't see that this was a PFer! Makes me feel a lot better and I would love a PFer to win!! I'll suggest bidpay or wire. Thanks!!

5. Sorry if this is somewhat o/t, but what exactly does it mean to have a confirmed address and why is it so important to have that? I was thinking of listing some of my items on eBay and I see that you're hesitant to ship to an unconfirmed address, so I didn't know if that should be part of my policy. TIA!

6. Make sure this is really true. Ask what her member name is on the forum...

7. If you ship to a unconfirmed address, as a seller you have no PayPal protection.

8. So..to follow up on that... a seller can accept a money order for unconfirmed addresses and Paypal for confirmed addresses. Money orders are essentially total protection for the seller - provided they aren't counterfeit, which is still very rare for postal service money orders. The seller cashes the money order (for free at any PO) and has essentially no paper trail after that. Basically, the buyer has no recourse for a refund, chargeback, reversal, etc. unless the seller physically mails something back. So, shipping to an unconfirmed address or a number of other paypal 'issues' disappear with MOs.

The more I think about selling on ebay the more I think I'll want postal money orders.

9. according to her message, her PF name is Italy and Italy only has 4 posts and joined August 20. How did she know you were from tPF?