Question about the Health and Fitness Board

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only safe way to lose weight is sensible diet and moderate exercise, period. The fact that there is an explosion of obesity in this country is that most people aren't inclined to engage in weight control to begin with. I don't see that adding yet another "quick fix diet pill" into the picture will change that, even if it IS FDA approved. The FDA has been approving pills for decades that have been killing us!

Bottom line: Americans are just too freaking lazy and too into immediate gratification to work at being healthy. Notice I did say healthy, not skinny.

Prada Psycho - I'm not going to debate the whole diet pill/ FDA approval thing with you.

This thread was posted in the Feedback Drop Box, not the Health and Fitness board for a reason - The purpose of this thread is to point out that it seems hypocritical to not allow discussion of an FDA approved medication yet to allow extensive discussion about weight loss surgery, and a whole array of cosmetic procedures.

My point is that either all of it should be allowed, or none of it.

This really isn't the place to debate health benefits/ risks/ opinions around diet pills and obesity

^^^Who's debating? My point (obviously not taken) was that a diet pill is a diet pill (no matter who approves it) and Administration on this board does not allow such discussions to take place. It's their board, therefore it's their prerogative to make those decisions. That is the point.

^^^Who's debating? My point (obviously not taken) was that a diet pill is a diet pill (no matter who approves it) and Administration on this board does not allow such discussions to take place. It's their board, therefore it's their prerogative to make those decisions. That is the point.

And my point (obviously not taken) was that the whole point of this thread is to question the Administration's position on this matter as it appears inconsistent with the other stuff that gets posted in the Health and Fitness area.

I already posted at least 3 times saying the same thing. I do not allow diet pill threads, FDA approved or not. If you have a problem with a different thread, feel free to PM me. I will look at it, and hear you out and we will go from there.

Coming from the person that wqrongly started it (me)Q

Sorry-my baby felt like writing.^^^
So, coming from the person that started it, I am SORRY. I did think it would be allowed because it is FDA approved. I was inquiring about the side effects in the thread, and received a first hand answer from a pharmicist. After that, the thread was closed and Swanky and I came to an understanding.
Megs does not allow ANY weight loss methods to be discussed at all with the exception of exercise and eating healthy. I have seen members talk about surgery, which I do agree, should also not be allowed, however,this is her forum and we should respect her rules.
I DO NOT want drama started over this..

I guess this is merely about one thread. I can look into it again.

I took this to mean that you might be reconsidering your position, but I guess I misunderstood.

Sorry, didn't mean to prolong the discussion if the decision was already made. Hope it didn't seem like I was getting too carried away with this.

I will say I'm glad to see some people agree with me.

My stance on what can and can not go into Health and Fitness has not changed, but I will reconsider certain threads if they are brought to my attention. It would be best to PM me and say why or why not a thread should go. That way I can look into it :yes:

Slightly off-topic but kind of what we're talking about, just out of curiosity when I was in Shopper's Drug Mart, I checked the diet pills section to see if alli would be there.

It's not.

And have you read the safety label on these things?

Warnings

Organ transplant alert:
  • do not use if you have had an organ transplant. alli interferes with the medicines used to prevent transplant rejection

alli stops absorption of particular fats and they are eliminated through the bowels.
Um, another word for that is steatorrhea, which is normally a sign of things like pancreatic cancer and cystic fibrosis.

Why would someone willingly take a product like this, knowing full well about those side effects? Someone would just chalk up the steatorrhea as a side effect of the drugs without bothering to check it out and they could really be sick.

*steps off the soap box*

Sorry, my point is, I'm really glad discussions of things like this are not allowed.

^^ I don't really feel up to climbing onto MY soapbox today, so I'm not going to debate your point.

But I would like to ask a similar question of my own - why would anyone willingly shave down bones in their face, break their nose, stick foreign objects in their body and cut their eyelids, knowing the potential side effects and complications, just to conform to a certain ideal of beauty?

And for that matter, why would anyone willingly alter a MAJOR ORGAN or two to lose weight?:confused1:

But those things are ok to talk about for whatever reason....In a HEALTH and FITNESS forum no less...

Status
Not open for further replies.