Question about mothball smell....

Oct 21, 2006
I just received a bag off of ebay where the seller stated they were from CANADA. Item location, CANADA. I get the bag in the mail, its from HONG KONG. It REEKS of mothballs. I was PLANNING on giving it to my mom as part of her birthday gift but now I'm almost embarassed to give it to her!

My question is, if I WASH the bag, do you think some of the stench will come out? It's an epi noe. Would water make the mothball smell WORSE? As you can tell, I'm pretty pissed off right now. I'm just mad that I was deceived! Would washing the bag make the smell worse?

You might want to search the threads. I remember a pfer that actually dipped her Epi Noe in lysol to disinfect it of germs and dirt. She had plenty of pics posted and the results were amazing. I wouldn't be brave enough to do that. Most ppl suggest airing it out and using dryer sheets for a few days to remove the smell. Others also suggest kitty litter in a zip lock bag. :shrugs:

Oh..I'm so sorry to hear that. But I bet your mom will understand that your heart was in the right place and still love the bag. I had a friend who wiped down the bag with water diluted with those scented flower petals. She felt that it worked, but the bag didn't smell that bad to begin with. Good luck.

Wow, I think that it is pretty wrong that the item location was Canada and it came from HK. I don't think ebay allows that? Anyway, if the smell was not mentioned in the auction, I would press to return it for a refund.

I did wash another one of my noe's and it lived through it. I'm just not sure about wetting the lining which smells (other bag didn't smell)...if it would bring out the smell more.

Same happen to me when I got my first LV from ebay. I spray my favorite perfume on a tissue paper and put both LV and tissue in a big Ziploc bag for three days. Viola! It worked for me.

Instead of using a ziploc, I used a trash bag and tied a knot at the top. Mine smelled like cigarette smoke though. I also stuffed it with bounce sheets, some baking soda that was in a container and wrapped it all up for a few days. After that it spent a lot of time with the lining inside out outside airing out. And now it smells like dryer sheets. Good luck!

Can you return it??? it's not fair to you that the seller didn't mention it in her auction. I rather use the money to buy a non-smelly one.

I'm inclined to agree with this, as the bag is intended for a gift.

But if you ever figure out a sure-fire way to get rid of the moth ball smell entirely, you will be famous here, as this is a problem that's discussed fairly often. :yes:

So sorry to hear that the bag smells :s This seems to be a recurring theme for PF-ers that buy from Hong Kong - mostly because it's humid down there and re-sellers of used bags don't want bugs to eat at the bag.

I think the suggestions above should work or you could just consider asking the seller to take back the bag. If it's a gift, it might be a better idea just to save up and buy a brand new one or one from the USA :yes: