question: About Epsom Leather

Personally I do not find Epsom pleasing to the hand or the eye, but I do know that lots of people love it!
It's all a matter of opinion, like most things.

On the pro side, it's very very lightweight and holds its shape and is on the least expensive tiers of H leathers. Also, as was mentioned, some colors look their most vibrant in Epsom.

On the con side, (opinion aside) it is not a leather that is easily refurbished when you're talking about significant wear such as corners, etc..

Love it! period. I actually like touching my veau epsom birkin.
It definitely feels like a feather in comparison to the similar birkin in togo.
But don't go where everyone else is going, take what your heart sings to:yes:.

I do not have an Epsom bag yet but when I saw it in a Cognac sellier Kelly, I was sold on the leather. I prefer rigid bags. As mentioned by some TPFers earlier, certain colours do look good with Epsom but as with all leathers the decision is ultimately and primarily influenced by one's preference of the leather type. Epsom is a more rigid leather versus togo / clemence / swift. I think Epsom looks great in Cognac and White.

Epsom is leather but embossed or has another layer of some type of coating on top that gives it that rigidity, I think. Hence the "not leathery" feel. It may not be favoured by those who prefer their leather to feel soft. Think by seeing the bag IRL, you may be pleasantly surprised.

Epsom is great IMHO. I have a white birkin in epsom, and I love it. It's sooo lightweight. It is true that epsom isn't squishy soft, but I like its' feel. It feels pert and smooth, but has a petite grain . It's the cutest little grain, and I think it's so pretty. My favorite epsom colors are white and Blue Jean. Epsom blue jean is a softer, more powdery shade than other blue jeans. And, epsom is easier to clean.
Having said all that, I also love togo.......just not in white.
P.S. off topic but... The white bag I mentioned is new, so very exciting......

There are different types of chevre, but in my opinion Chevre de Coromandel and Chevre Mysore are a little heavier weight than Epsom, lighter weight than Togo. It's rare to find a Chevre Birkin in a 35 size, though, just FYI. Some silliness about goats not being big enough this year. Heh.

Epsom is great IMHO. I have a white birkin in epsom, and I love it. It's sooo lightweight. It is true that epsom isn't squishy soft, but I like its' feel. It feels pert and smooth, but has a petite grain . It's the cutest little grain, and I think it's so pretty. My favorite epsom colors are white and Blue Jean. Epsom blue jean is a softer, more powdery shade than other blue jeans. And, epsom is easier to clean.
Having said all that, I also love togo.......just not in white.
P.S. off topic but... The white bag I mentioned is new, so very exciting......

Lee, how about a pic of the white epsom bag!?!

I love Epsom. I have an Evelyne in Epsom and it feels wonderful. I can understand why some say it has a plasticky feel. However I like how lightweight it feels to me and I think it is an easy leather to keep clean.

Lee, how about a pic of the white epsom bag!?!

Hi pepper. I would luv to^^^..........don't know how:confused1::blush:. Is there an instruction thread somewhere? Also, I can post pics of my ruthenium bag & new Kelly, which came home late night on Wed......don't know what to do about this bag....dillemma...but that's another story....

......thanks for info cynthianyc......(didn't want to waste thread space w/another post)

Lee, here's what to do. Under reply, click on "go advanced"--this will take you to a screen with a choice, "manage attachments"--click on that and you'll get something that allows you to upload photos--you click on "browse" and find where the photo is on your computer, double click the file and it will appear in the window, and then I think you need to click "attach" or something like that, and you should be able to tell if it worked or not...

well i love it others hate it. it is an eye pleasing leather not a hand pleasing leather as to some it feels plasticky. this beeing said it is pretty carefree (you can easily wipe it down with a soft damp cloth/very handy if the bag is white)it holds its shape the only problem is you have to take care with the corners.

me too, lilach -- i love the way it takes color, retains its shape and is light, light, light! and as far as the hand, i don't find it all that different from chevre de coromondel in that 'plastic' feel.

me too, lilach -- i love the way it takes color, retains its shape and is light, light, light! and as far as the hand, i don't find it all that different from chevre de coromondel in that 'plastic' feel.

I don't think epsom or VL feel plasticky. Just stiffer, more like many equestrian leathers. But, BIG BUT: They sure dont look like equestrian leather.
I think that chamonix feels plasticky.......but I love it anyway.

I have a Kelly and a wallet in Epsom and use the wallet daily, have own it for almost a year and no signs of wear around the corners or anywhere else. When I read on this forum about the refurbishing difficulties, I asked my store about it and the reply I got is: ‘It depends on the craftsman, some work with it better than others, everyone has their strengths and weaknesses.’ I’m happy with that reply and with Epsom; both have served me very well and continue to do so. I don’t find any H leathers having a plastic-feel; the Epsom and VL simply have an 'embossed' look to it.