Queen Elizabeth II to attend her first Kentucky Derby

1. http://msn.foxsports.com/horseracing/story/6595654?GT1=9232

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (AP) - Queen Elizabeth II is bringing some real royalty to the sport of kings.

The queen and husband Prince Philip plan to attend the Kentucky Derby on May 5 at Churchill Downs, Buckingham Palace said Wednesday. The visit is part of a six-day trip to the United States that will include stops in Jamestown, Va., and Washington.

"We're really looking forward to it," Churchill Downs spokesman John Asher said. "It's going to be a wonderfully historic day, given the history of the Kentucky Derby owes so much to racing in England."

The queen has visited Kentucky four times - in 1984, 1986, 1989 and 1991 - but has never been to Louisville.

"We're excited to host the queen for the signature event in the sport of kings," Louisville Mayor Jerry Abramson said. "The Kentucky Derby puts Louisville in the world's spotlight, and we are looking forward to showcasing our city to the queen."

The queen has stabled horses at Kentucky farms in the past and spent time at Lane's End Farm, owned by Will Farish, former U.S. ambassador to England. A Lane's End spokesman referred all questions about the queen's visit to Buckingham Palace.

2. The Derby is such a glamorous event with A-listers, that I'm surprised the Queen has never been. I plan to go this year so I'll snap some pictures of her if I can get to a viewing point. And I'll get pictures of other celebrities so we can gawk at their outrageous hats and their fantastic bags ;)

3. Thats pretty exciting, maybe we should go to the Derby this year....:yes:

4. Well, she'll be all set with the 'hats required' rule.