Quebec City?

1. Hi Everyone,

I'm going to a conference in quebec city in a few weeks. Never been there -- any reccomendations on things to see and do? Is it fun? It's basically my vacation for this summer (saving some $$$) so I'm hoping to find some cool things to see or do. We might stop at montreal too.
  2. Hi there - I'm from Toronto, and have only been to Quebec a few times. Food is great there, Quebec City is VERY heavy in French speaking people so hopefully you can make it through your conference and not be overwhelmed by the language! You could be French bilingual for all I know, so my apologies if you do speak French.

If you get the chance to go to Montreal, do so, FABULOUS city, shopping is fantastic, clubs and restaurants are amazing. If you are in Montreal, go shopping on Ste. Catherine Street - that's the fashion district in Montreal. There is also a fantastic steak house in Montreal too called Queue de Cheval, it's expensive, but to this day the best steak I have ever had. I'm not sure if you're a club person or not, but if you are let me know and I can fill you in on some great spots to hit.

Bienvenue a la belle province au Canada!
  3. My goodness it sounds so amazing, now I wanna go !!!
  4. I am definitely NOT bi-lingual -- but I did understand your welcome, Jo Ly, thank you!

I'm going with a friend from my department, so hopefully he can be persuaded to spend a night in montreal. Sounds like that's where the action is:smile: I've heard though, that Quebec is really pretty. I'm actually looking forward to trying out my french in "real life" as opposed to classes.
  5. Quebec City is gorgeous and has a lot of history, and if anything, will make you feel like you are in France. It's been years since I have been to Quebec City, where are you staying? If you can stay at the Chateau Frontenac, it's a gorgeous hotel.

Montreal is definitely where it's at. Oh, and if you do make it there and go to Ste. Catherine Street, there's a tonne of strip bars there, but that is where the great stores are, so don't be surprised - lol! I'm serious when I tell you about the strip bars, it's a little much, but it's just the way the city works...

let me know if you enjoy yourself. If you ever make it to Toronto, I can definitely point you in the right direction there - food, clubs, shopping - everything!
  6. "old quebec" the area of the city where chateau frontenac is located is amazing! tons of history and great restaurants. very pretty to explore for a day. but if you get the chance, head to montreal. there's a lot more going on like the other posters said.
  7. I love Quebec City. I've been there quite a few times.

It's a special heritage site, with many stone buildings dating back to the eighteenth-century (and some earlier).

It's very touristy, at certain times of year, though -- and it is definitely set up for tourism. The restaurants are all geared towards this tourist-tade, particularly in the charming old city.

I think you'll find that french is hardly necessary -- again, the businesses in the old city are all used to english speaking tourists and are geared towards a booming tourist trade. Of course, french is spoken everywhere, but I noticed that international tourists really didn't need to know french, in order to make their needs known.

I prefer visiting when it's a bit off season, because it can get so crowded!

But it's a lovely spot -- one of the old settlements in North America, and full of all sorts of history.

From Wikipedia:

Quebec City or Québec* (French: Ville de Québec, or simply Québec) is the capital of the Canadian province of Quebec. It is the largest city in eastern Quebec. Quebec's Old Town (Vieux-Québec), the only North American fortified city north of Mexico whose walls still exist, was declared a World Heritage Site by the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) in 1985. The city has a population of 528,595, and the metropolitan area has a population of 717,600 (2005).
    Quebec City is known for its Winter Carnival and the Château Frontenac, an historic hotel which dominates the city skyline. The Assemblée nationale du Québec (provincial parliament), the Musée national des beaux-arts du Québec (Museum of Fine Arts) and the Museum of Civilization are found within or near Vieux-Québec.
    Among the tourist attractions in the city are Montmorency Falls and the Basilica of Sainte-Anne-de-Beaupré in the town of Beaupré.
  8. PS. Montreal is a wonderful city!! But, though it has a lot of history (wonderful buildings, etc.) too, it doesn't have the same aesthetic thing that Quebec City has going, with the old fortified town.
    Still, it is also full of wonderful history, and has its own old part of town. Also, as many have pointed out, wonderful shopping and new designer boutiques, too. It has a dual anglophone/francophone flavour. McGill University is well worth a visit -- and it's famous for smoked meat sandwiches (which I've tried -- had to stand in a queue) and a few other similar type things. It's a very attractive city.
  9. Oops, meant to saw Montreal is famous for the smoked meat. Not McGill. Long day!