Pursegrrl's scallops/tomatoes/pasta dish...

1. This is an offshoot from the thread below:

My BF is Italian (yep, parents came to NYC from Naples) so you bet I have fun trying dishes he and I both love. This one goes quickly...enjoy!

Spaghettini con le capesante (thin spaghetti with scallops):

1/2 lb sea or bay scallops
    4 T extra virgin olive oil
    6 medium cloves garlic, grated or chopped
    2 C chopped canned plum tomatoes with 1/2 cup of their juices
    1 heaping T tomato paste
    1/3 C dry vermouth
    1/3 C fresh basil leaves, chopped
    1/2 tsp salt or to taste
    1/4 tsp freshly ground white pepper
    1 1/2 T salt, for cooking pasta
    12 oz spaghettini (thin spaghetti, but not 'angel hair')

Wash and dry scallops. Slice each into 3 pieces and set aside. In a large skillet over gentle heat, combine oil and garlic, and cook until garlic softens.

Add chopped tomatoes without their juices and saute gently 4-5 minutes. Dissolve tomato paste in the tomato juices and add to pan along with vermouth. allow to evaporate over medium heat for about 4 minutes.

Add fresh basil, salt and white pepper to taste. Add scallops; saute over medium heat for 3 minutes. Taste and adjust seasonings if necessary.

Meanwhile, bring 4 or 5 quarts water to a rolling boil. Add salt and pasta. Cook, stirring frequently until pasta is al dente, about 7 minutes.

Drain and toss with sauce. Serve immediately. Do not serve with grated cheese...in authentic Italian cooking grated cheese is not added to seafood sauces.

Buon appetito!! :graucho:
  2. Shut up! That sounds so good! Maybe I can get DH to cook it since I am cooking impaired. Thanks for the receipe!
  3. i'm going to try this too. thanks for the recipe.
  4. yum! i do a simplified version of this with cherry tomatoes and without the garlic but i pan fry the scallops in lemon and butter and add them at the very end. and then just season with whatever i want, it's sooooo good..
  5. This looks great! Thanks for sharing.
  6. OOO! Thanks SO much for posting! Pasta is like ALL I eat!! I'll try it this weekend!
  7. Thanks for the recipe, I love scallops.
  8. i'm making my version of this today :drool: i'm sooo hungry!
  9. Thanks so much! I was wondering if you saw my question about the recipe! Thanks for sharing. I may cook it this weekend and I'll let you know how it goes and even take pictures....lol.
  10. Can you substitute white wine vinegar for the Vermouth or do you think using the Vermouth will be best?
  11. OMG that sounds good.

I will be making it in the next few days - as soon as I get to the store!
  12. OMG! I made this today but I used Shrimp instead of Scallops and added a little lemon juice

IT WAS DELICIOUS! Thanks so much for the recipe!!
  13. I'm going to try this soon for BF - he LOVES scallops.
  14. i think you could substitute vermouth with white wine which is used in loads of seafood dishes but not white wine vinegar, it would be too sour.
  15. sounds DELISH- i have to try it!