PSP Sets Fire to Schoolboy's Pants

1. Here's the link from clickondetroit. Click here

Child Burned By Video Game In Pocket

FARMINGTON HILLS, Mich. -- A child was burned at Warner Middle School in Farmington Hills when the video game in his pants pocket caught on fire around 9 a.m. on Wednesday

Police said the fire burned a hole in his pants and Harold Clay, 12, suffered minor burns.

"He said it wasn't a gradual heat. It really started heating up. He's always been taught, burn- fire- smoke, you drop and you roll. So, he was in his band class and he dropped and rolled," said the victim's mother Sheila Clay.

A teacher at the school managed to separate the boy from his gaming system. The video game was a Sony PSP. Police said the player overheated and exploded.

The school was placed on lockdown so emergency personnel could get through the building to help the child. The lockdown has been lifted.

Harold was treated at the hospital for second-degree burns to the leg and was back in school later that afternoon.

Ironically, the name of the game that was inside the player was called Burn Out.

"It was unbelievable, because it wasn't on. It was just in his pocket," said the victim's father, Harold Clay.

Harold's parents said they plan to contact Sony to see if any other cases have been reported.

Police are still investigating the cause.
  2. Yikes! Its good the boy is alright, Sony needs to look into this. They may be defective and it could happen to other kids.
  3. Good lawd, thank goodness I never bought one of those! I even saw a news broadcast where even cell phones have been known to catch fire!
  4. Very concerning....with so many of these things sold it is a scary thought that it could happen again.
  5. Yes its very alarming, these though these gadgets helps us for entertainment or other purpose we tend to overlook the harm that it can give us.

Aside from replacing the product, what do you think should Sony do about this issue?
  6. didn't they read the manual and warnings? it always mention things like that
  7. He shouldn't have had that thing at school anyway. Kids these days have such mixed up priorities...
  8. ^Having the thing at school isn't the exploded, caught on fire and injured someone and that could have happened anywhere, anytime and that is indeed an issue.
  9. In my school district children aren't allowed to take electronics such as that to school, and there are good reasons why this is disallowed. My mom has a whole drawer of MP3 players, Gameboys, etc. that she has confiscated from kids who can't follow rules. I'm sure there are places where electronics aren't contraband, but even if they are allowed why are they in the school? That's what I don't understand. I'm a firm believer that there is a time and place for everything, and school isn't the place for video game systems such as that. The kid took it to school, it caught fire, and caused a big commotion. Now, it's not good that it caught fire, and no, it's not his FAULT that it caught fire, but if he'd have left it at home where it belonged, all that could have been avoided, including the putting of the school on "lockdown."

Geez, I sound just like my mom! She would have 100% been like, "He shouldn't have had it at school in the first place!" So maybe that's why I see things like this situation from that point of view. Who knows.
  10. The issue isn't that he had it at school, but it's a good thing he did. According to his father, it wasn't on when this happened. If that had been sitting at home, it could have burned down their house.
  11. So if it caught on fire at home an burnt his house down it would've been a better option? Its alarming that such a popular piece of technology can have such a horrible side affect, it can cause all sorts of damage.
  12. Of COURSE I'm not saying that would have been a better option. How is it good if ANYTHING catches fire? Don't assume, or misinterpret what I say. I already said once that I think the thing shouldn't have caught fire, and I'm not going to keep repeating myself. What I DO stand by is the fact that he should not have had it at school in the first place. Whether game systems catch on fire or not, they're disruptive to the learning environment.

Now, I've said what I meant. Any tangets or assumptions anyone would like to make from that is on them...I'm not gonna repeat myself anymore.