Protecting a Stam?

1. What would everyone suggest to care for the Stam Hobo?

Should I applegarde it as soon as it arrives? Then what? ANy help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

2. I called MJ and they recommended taking it to a shoe service repair place that would do this for me.

After going through all the post on here thought it looks like a lot of people have had success with Apple Garde Rain and Stain Repellent.

Has anyone used this on there Quilted Stams/ Stam Hobos? etc?

Thanks again!

3. I'm interested in knowing also....

4. I just sent back a Stam Hobo b/c the bottom corners of the bag were wearing down after barely a month. My suggestion is NEVER set it down. If you can't keep it on your shoulder or hang it on a chair back on a regular basis, you're asking for wear on the bottom corners. I am SO disappointed (disgusted?) in the MJ Stam for this reason. I LOVED that bag but I'm not keeping a $1200 bag that starts to show wear after a month of delicate use.

5. Pradasycho, I'm so sorry about your bag! That really stinks.

Not to be rude, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that you had an out of the ordinary experience with the bag.

I've never heard of this problem with either of the Stam Hobo or Stam itself. I wonder what happened? thanks for the heads up though!

Did you treat it at all?

6. I always spray my leather bags/shoes with Kiwi Fine Leather waterproof spray. Works great.

Someone else on my "Boo Hoo" thread here said her hobo Stam was doing the same thing mine did. She had the mouse color. You might want to read the thread and ask her about her experience too.

I've come to the conclusion the handbag gods just don't want me to have an expensive designer bag..... :sad:

Edit note: it was hk318 that was having the same problems with hers.

7. I wouldn't spray the bag with anything personally. The more you use your stam, the softer the leather will get. You definitely will want it to get softer because since summer, I think the leather on the stams have been kinda hard. The leather is much more textured than it is on my older stam.

8. PradaPsycho... how bad was it? If the bag was in black do you think is would be as noticable? Youre making me very nervous. I wonder why the reg. stams do not have this problem.

elongreach thanks for the tip, has your bag ever gotten wet?

9. I actually toyed with exchanging my cashew for black thinking it wouldn't show, but I just wasn't willing to tie up another $1200 on a hunch.

On the regular stams, I really don't know since I don't have one. Perhaps the bottoms are more structured so that when you sit them down, they actually DO sit on the metal feet instead of the leather overlapping like the hobo does. The hobo is soft and slouchy, so the edges still sit on the ground.

I honestly am not the one to offer you an opinion on this. I'm VERY jaded. It may be I just had another in my string of bad luck and yours will be perfect and stay looking new for 20 years. I'm not willing to take that chance again, however.

10. ^ Enjoy your bag, many owners don't have any problem with theirs. Like any brand (even premium designers like Chanel, Fendi, LV, ...), there are manufacturing defects sometimes. It's always recommended to buy from major retailers who will give you money back or exchange/fix the item for you in case something goes wrong.

Many members are told by MJ stores not to put anything on their bags.

11. PradaPyscho, I completely understand and really appreciate your pain. And trying to help me. I guess I will just have to wait and see.

bag.lover, thanks once again. I bought it from eLux, who offer a 60 day guarantee- but hey want it returned in new and unused condition. What are the chances of them taking it back for a defect?