Proof that 'double-dipping' is gross

1. :sick: Good reason to have listened to you mum when she said "dont double dip",25197,23138250-12377,00.html

By staff writers | January 31, 2008

DOUBLE-dipping, a practice frowned upon by many around snack tables at parties, is a major health hazard, according to a new US study.

The study, to be published this year in the Journal of Food Safety, was inspired by an episode of the comedy show Seinfeld. In the show, character George Costanza is confronted at a funeral reception after dipping the same chip twice.

Clemson University food microbiologist Paul Dawson said he proposed the study to get undergraduate students involved in scientific research.

The team of nine students had volunteers bite a wheat cracker and dip the cracker for three seconds into a tablespoon of dip.

They repeated the process with new crackers, for a total of either three or six double dips per dip sample.

The team then analysed the remaining dip and counted the number of aerobic bacteria in it.

The students found that on average, three to six double dips transferred about 10,000 bacteria from the eater’s mouth to the remaining dip.

Each cracker picked up between 1-2g dip, meaning sporadic double-dipping in a cup of dip would transfer at least 50 to 100 bacteria from one mouth to another with every bite.

"The way I would put it is, before you have some dip at a party, look around and ask yourself, 'would I be willing to kiss everyone here?' Because you don’t know who might be double-dipping, and those who do are sharing their saliva with you,” Professor Dawson told the New York Times.

Prof Dawson encourages his undergraduate teams to test popular conceptions about food safety.

Last year he published a paper on the five-second rule, which states that food dropped on the floor can be safely eaten if you pick it up before you can count to five.

The rule turned out to be false.
  2. OH GOD!!

I'm known to double dip, and I know some folks who does it as well!!

**runs to gargle mouth with Listerine**
  3. Hehe this reminds me of the Seinfeld episode where George double dips his chip and another guy feaks out because of it:

<George walks over to the snack table as Timmy watches him from across the room. He takes a chip from the bowl, dips it, takes a bite, and then dips again. Timmy hurriedly comes over.>

TIMMY: What are you doing?

GEORGE: What?

TIMMY: Did...did you just double-dip that chip?

GEORGE: Excuse me?

TIMMY: You double-dipped the chip!

GEORGE: "Double-dipped"? What are you talking about?

TIMMY: You dipped the chip. You took a bite. <points at the dip> And you dipped again.

GEORGE: So...?

TIMMY: That's like putting your whole mouth right in the dip! From now on, when you take a chip - just take one dip and end it!

GEORGE: Well, I'm sorry, Timmy...but I don't dip that way. <takes a chip.>

TIMMY: Oh, you don't, huh?

GEORGE: No. <dips the chip> You dip the way you want to dip...<bites the chip> I'll dip the way I want to dip. <dips the chip again.>

TIMMY: Gimme the chip! <Grabs George and the chip goes flying.> Gimme the chip! <They struggle in front of the snack table.>

Edit: I should have read the post better, they mention the episode!
  4. Weirdly I don't double dip...and despise when someone else does it...for this reason.
  5. LOL, Seinfeld!!
  6. Rats, the 5 second rule is also no good ?! What is a clumsy person to do ?!?!
  7. I won't even eat at a salad bar. The general public is quite disgusting.
  8. I don't eat dip PERIOD! Once, after a party my step-mother had, she gave me leftover clam dip. I ate it. About two hours later I was laying on the bathroom floor puking my guts out. My roomie took me to the ER, where I spent the night getting shots of compazine and IV fluids. I wieghed about 120 pounds back then so I didn't have much to spare!!

EW EW EW!
  9. Man alive, that's gross! I rarely encounter this situation, as I won't use communal dip. Sure, if my BF and I are out eating Mexican we might double dip in the salsa or cheese, but I guess that's different because I figure I'm crawling with millions of his bacteria at any given time anyway. If it's people other than the BF and myself, we share our own dip and let the others have their own.

And salad bars/buffet style places are gross. There's one that I LOVE to go to because the food is SO GOOD, but I have to repeatedly chant to myself, "Don't think about the others, don't think about the others." My mom hates buffets (she calls them how you just put out a long thing of food and all the pigs come to it and feed at once). She said that the last time she was at a buffet-style restaurant, a woman had her sleeve in the salad dressing. And don't get me started on the little kids at buffet places. Jesus, take the wheel...

10. I 'double dip' with a select few people.....Mr Max, Lil Max, my BFF, and her kids.....that's it. It's kind of funny but Lil Max and I will share something and announce "We can double dip, it's just us."

I do have problems with salad bars, buffets, and dips at parties though.
  11. LOL I'm all about teaching people about their normal everyday gross habits! How about if you go to a restaurant and you have to wait at the bar to be seated. Ever help yourself to the peanut/chip/whatever they have sitting there to munch on? Think about the person that was there before you and didn't wash their hands when they came back from the restroom...or if they did wash their hands, they touched the restroom door on their way out and that defeated the purpose in the first place...and then they had some nice peanuts right before you!:upsidedown:
  12. Also, don't touch that dish of unwrapped candies they have at restaurants. Yeah, they have a spoon provided, but how do you know that everyone actually USES the spoon?

. . . . also it's the same peanut situation with the candies that Hubba mentioned.
  13. eww! gross! i never double dip and hate it when people do.
  14. I've always thought it to be disgusting. As a matter of fact, I don't even put my hands in the chip bag, I pour some out into a bowl. I was at a party a few months ago where I had made my famous poppy seed dressing and my dh's niece took the spoon out of the bowl, licked it, then put it back in. I was like, "People are going to eat from that, that's nasty." Neither she, nor her mother saw anything wrong with this(neither has any class). Now I usually don't care to eat their chemical-laden, packed with preservatives food, but now I won't even eat from something I bring. It looks like it's bring your own sushi for me from now on!
  15. Toss it out! They tested the 5 second rule on Mythbusters, and found e-coli on stuff that had barely touched the floor.