Project Pan: What products are you trying to use up before buying new similar items?

CassieH

Apr 20, 2015
I'm trying to finish up:
an almond hand cream from the body shop. (it's taking me 1.5 years and still on going). I have so many lotions I'm trying to use up.
EOS lip balms - I have 2 of them to go, 1 of them brand new, and one I just finished and threw out. Total is three. I bought these ones at six dollars and fifty sense for three of them since they were a clearance Xmas items.
Cheap revlon charcoal eye shadow link, I really regret this purchase. I had 2, finished 1.
Passionfruit shower gel from the body shop.

Also, does anyone know what a smudge stick is? I have it in a makeup kit but don't know what to do with it. Can I use it as an eye shadow?

This thread, I hope, is to encourage using what one already has before buying something un-necessary.

Last edited:
If trying to try counts, perfumes. They're my other collection from handbags, but it's becoming excessive. I rarely buy full bottles, mainly sets, but I have so many to go through. Not to mention that I just bought the floral set from Byredo.

Eyeshadows are one that I typically wait to buy new. I tend to only buy a new palette about twice a year to keep them from getting too old. I used to collect them, but not wearing them as often as I should they'd start to lose their appeal when I realized I'd had them for so long.

This post is so relevant to me right now as I've been such a purchase junkie in the past.
I've been using up perfumes, body lotions and those little tester sachets of serum you get when you buy something from one of the big UK department stores like Fenwicks and Hoopers.
I also seem to be the Imelda Marcos of lipsticks so I'm planning to get through those.
I've put myself on a 'no buying embargo' and anything I have that is saleable is going on eBay.

Great thread btw.

Reactions: bakeacookie
Count me in on the Bath & Body Works Shower Gel Hoarders Club. Last year I bought like a dozen bottles of Vanilla Bean Noel because I love it. Then discovered that they changed the scent from the prior year. The bottles I bought smelled like detergent. I'm slowly working my way through them. I still have eight left to go. I'm on a shower gel ban until the cupboard under the bathroom sink is empty.

Count me in on the Bath & Body Works Shower Gel Hoarders Club. Last year I bought like a dozen bottles of Vanilla Bean Noel because I love it. Then discovered that they changed the scent from the prior year. The bottles I bought smelled like detergent. I'm slowly working my way through them. I still have eight left to go. I'm on a shower gel ban until the cupboard under the bathroom sink is empty.

This made me LOL. I would be cursing B&BW every time I took a shower. Maybe you could donate some to a woman's shelter?

Oh i dislike the newer scents and that they've changed formulas.

I'm finishing mine and tbh, I'm not sure if I'll buy more at the next sale since they keep changing things and not in a good way.

Reactions: keodi

That's funny! I thought I the most recent scent of this Vanilla Bean Noel did smell a different from the one in 2015 or 2014.
I thought I was going crazy. My sister and I love this particular lotion too, she has one in her bathroom.
I have so many liquid hand soaps from them, one in the bathroom right now.

Glad to know it wasn't only me who thought the vanilla lotion seem different.

On a small note: I finished the almond hand lotion today and threw it away in the trash! :P It was starting to get holes because it is made of material that makes sharp edges and pierce itself.

This made me LOL. I would be cursing B&BW every time I took a shower. Maybe you could donate some to a woman's shelter?

Oh that's a good idea! I'm really getting sick of the detergent-Noel but the frugalista in me says "Persevere!"

Oh i dislike the newer scents and that they've changed formulas. I'm finishing mine and tbh, I'm not sure if I'll buy more at the next sale since they keep changing things and not in a good way.

I wonder if the changes are because they're subcontracting the manufacture to different vendors every year in say, like Asia, and/or the ingredients are coming from different sources each year? That's what happened after QVC purchased the Tova line--all the scents seemed to be constantly changing.

Years ago DH bought me a B&B gift set called Sleep Tea and the scent was heavenly. And then they kept changing the scent. Every so often the old scent comes rolling back, but what the heck? Why can't they stick with a good thing?

That's funny! I thought I the most recent scent of this Vanilla Bean Noel did smell a different from the one in 2015 or 2014.
I thought I was going crazy. My sister and I love this particular lotion too, she has one in her bathroom.
I have so many liquid hand soaps from them, one in the bathroom right now.

Glad to know it wasn't only me who thought the vanilla lotion seem different.

And I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who thought the scent was really, really different. I bought a bottle of the Noel lotion too but haven't opened it. Making it another beauty item I need to "go through" before I buy more.

Reactions: JetSetGo!
This is a lot of the stuff i am finishing up, some of it came from a family member who moved. I will also be using up any male products, to me, when it comes to things like that, I don't really see a huge difference. This hasn't even included make-up.

I hope it doesn't take longer than a year. Lol. Using up the old stuff isn't super glamorous but I do feel like there is a certain satisfaction in making the money one invests in these products worth it. Plus, it's better for the environment.

Sorry for the blurriness, my phone is getting fixed and I am using a loaner phone.

There is at least $100 dollars worth of products here. The body mists will take forever.

Attachments

• IMG-20160905-00002.jpg
    IMG-20160905-00002.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 167
I have some new Dior products that are rubbish but feel I should at least use them up - the new Fix it colour corecting sticks in yellow and green and the diorblush light and countour (only the light is nice).