Proenza Schouler PS1 vs. Mulberry Alexa

I just bought an Alexa in Oak and love it. I was debating between that and the PS 1 but the clasp on the PS1 is really hard to open. I tried it on at Barney's. Not only do you have to undo the clasp, there is a tiny button you need to move as well to get the whole flap up. When you are in a rush to put your wallet back in or keys, you can't really do this with one hand or a few fingers. Definitely try this out in the store and try it out. I also didn't like that the PS1 medium couldn't be worn crossbody. The strap is too short. You can get by doing it but the bag is higher up on your body, (I am 5' 6")

The Alexa is easier with the turn lock and I like that the straps are magnetic and usually "click" back into place. I like the Alexa's sloucher look and that I can wear it on the shoulder, crossbody or crook of my arm. I like that the braided handle isn't stiff and is feeling softer/rounder in my hands. I love seeing how Mulberry bags age and I think this Alexa is going to do well over time. Even if it's a trend for now, it will always be a vintage Mulberry that if well taken care of my daughter could wear in 20 years.

I seriously love the Alexa everytime I take it out, even just going to the grocery store.

With the price of the PS 1 you are better off getting a Chloe bag for that money, or shelling out more $$ for a Chanel bag that will always be timeless.

Depends on your sense of style. I think of the PS1 as a bit more edgy and the Alexa as a more feminine classic. Both are beautiful, I like the PS1 more because I've seen it less and it's more my style.

I don't think the Alexa has the same quality craftsmanship as the PS1. I actually have both, the OS Alexa and XL PS1, and I would never trust loading the former with what fits in the latter :smile: I heard many horror stories about the Alexa and they've put me off. I'm seriously considering passing it on, even though I really like the design. I just think it is horrible that I cannot actually carry all my stuff inside an OS bag, what is the point then? Just the look? An expensive bag shouldn't need to be baby-handled, it should actually stand the test better than the cheaper counterparts, and very often a Zara or Kipling bag will overshadow a Mulberry... I find this appalling and difficult to justify price-wise!!!

I don't think the Alexa has the same quality craftsmanship as the PS1. I actually have both, the OS Alexa and XL PS1, and I would never trust loading the former with what fits in the latter :smile: I heard many horror stories about the Alexa and they've put me off. I'm seriously considering passing it on, even though I really like the design. I just think it is horrible that I cannot actually carry all my stuff inside an OS bag, what is the point then? Just the look? An expensive bag shouldn't need to be baby-handled, it should actually stand the test better than the cheaper counterparts, and very often a Zara or Kipling bag will overshadow a Mulberry... I find this appalling and difficult to justify price-wise!!!

Hi,
Since you own both, may I ask which leather feels softer? The Mulberry or the PS1? Other than feel, based on what you wrote, I think you are saying PS1 is more superior in terms of quality and workmanship.

I'm just finding myself in this decision dilemma... Can anyone confirm if their PS1 can be worn cross body? I've seen it mentioned as a cross body bag, but the strap just sounds too short.

Does anyone have the PS1 in suede? Pics look beautiful but I'm curious about the quality. Good quality suede feels amazing, but sometimes it can have a funny feel. KWIM?

TIA!:flowers:

I'm just finding myself in this decision dilemma... Can anyone confirm if their PS1 can be worn cross body? I've seen it mentioned as a cross body bag, but the strap just sounds too short.

Does anyone have the PS1 in suede? Pics look beautiful but I'm curious about the quality. Good quality suede feels amazing, but sometimes it can have a funny feel. KWIM?

The strap is knotted.. when unkotted it can be worn as a cross body.

Hi,
Since you own both, may I ask which leather feels softer? The Mulberry or the PS1? Other than feel, based on what you wrote, I think you are saying PS1 is more superior in terms of quality and workmanship.

Hi :smile:
Sorry for the delay in answering. Regarding softness, I would say they both feel great but they aren't the buttery type you can cuddle. PS1 feels thicker. Moreover, no comparison between Oak and Saddle: The Alexa in oak is plasticky, in a very unflattering hue, not my taste at all, and that is the reason I bought the black one; saddle is amazing, the colour develops into a rich patina like those old teacher's briefcases, and it just feels more real.
Alexa imho looks cheap in comparison, the lining, type of leather, quality, all very 'disposable' and too 'blingy'. Of course, the design is nice and ladylike, perhaps more than PS1's which is more on the unisex side. But to have a bag of that size where you can only put a handful of things defeats the purpose of carrying a bag in the first place. You are better off carrying your stuff on your pockets!
So many girls, many tPF, complained about not being able to carry books or a laptop on their Alexas, and that doesn't seem to be an issue with PS1s. Plus I admire the idea behind the PS1, a bag that isn't seasonal, that won't feature in the runaways shows, and that was only conceived when they found the perfect factory in Italy to have it made. Cookie points for that!!!

Bit of a long post, sorry :smile:

Hi,
My medium strap set on the last hole and without the knot has the bag resting on my waist. I don't mind too much, but I prefer when bags rest on my hips (I'm 1.71cm). My x-large is perfect strap-wise!

X

Hi :smile:
Sorry for the delay in answering. Regarding softness, I would say they both feel great but they aren't the buttery type you can cuddle. PS1 feels thicker. Moreover, no comparison between Oak and Saddle: The Alexa in oak is plasticky, in a very unflattering hue, not my taste at all, and that is the reason I bought the black one; saddle is amazing, the colour develops into a rich patina like those old teacher's briefcases, and it just feels more real.
Alexa imho looks cheap in comparison, the lining, type of leather, quality, all very 'disposable' and too 'blingy'. Of course, the design is nice and ladylike, perhaps more than PS1's which is more on the unisex side. But to have a bag of that size where you can only put a handful of things defeats the purpose of carrying a bag in the first place. You are better off carrying your stuff on your pockets!
So many girls, many tPF, complained about not being able to carry books or a laptop on their Alexas, and that doesn't seem to be an issue with PS1s. Plus I admire the idea behind the PS1, a bag that isn't seasonal, that won't feature in the runaways shows, and that was only conceived when they found the perfect factory in Italy to have it made. Cookie points for that!!!

Bit of a long post, sorry :smile:

Thank you SOO much for your honest opinion, effort and time to write this up for me. I really appreciate it.