Proceed with caution when Authenticating

1. Hi this is is my first post to the tpf. I have been visting for a while now and am always impressed by the cohesion you display as an online community.

I must start my post by reiterating I have the uttermost respect and admiration for this forum. However i do have one bone of contention, that being - the authentic this threads.

I recently had a listing removed from eBay because it had been reported by another user. I actually though it was removed by LV themselves and had prepared myself to go to battle with the mighty as my bag was authentic and had been purchased from a LV boutique. But it transpired it was another user who had reported it.

Then to my horror i came onto this forum to have a rant and found someone had placed the link in the authenticate this thread and i guess the rest is history. The oxymoron to this story is that the response to the request to authenticate this was along the lines of looks fine to me ask for reciept.

The person proceed to ask for a reciept and two concurrent events occured at the same time - first my broadband was down for two days, and then second the reciept was with the ex boyfriend who bought the bag - and i was not about to go asking him for the reciept as i'm selling it. Hence the person became irrate, i finally logged into my eBay account to found at least six questions posing as buyers - fishing for authenticity proof and tiny minions of information. Then the next morning my listing was removed.

Hence the reason i started this thread was to caution you on having a blithe attitude when deeming bags fake or not. I agree there are some atrocities listed on eBay hich don't even warrant the title of fake they are a different breed of bags. In fact the listing surronding mine where hideous (plastic on handle and green gift card hideous) and this was what i believed if anything would be a driving force to mine. When in fact those went on to be sold.

But occasionaly the innocent get caught up in this horde mentality of rash decision making. Please be aware of the damage that can be caused when you direct users to report listings. Fortunate for me i was not suspended but innocent users can be suspended for reports such as this.

Be careful of the advice you give those seeking it. Alot of trust is put into the experinced users of this forum and you really must exercise it with caustion. You have an amazing gift and i would just urge you not to become too relaxed and cynical so give users indicatiors to misinterprate authenticity.

I have seen a number of times on these boards users damming sellers for the tiniest reasons to question authenicity. I would direct you to consider a few points and rememeber ebay has as many honest sellers as it does dishonest.

1) Seller does not have reciept - is not an indicator it is a fake. I have two LV bags and a Prada bag which i do not have reciepts for as two were gifts and i lost one.

2)Feedback scores - we all have to start somewhere. I sold my first LV Speedy with a feedback score of 5. I had been a member for 18 months. Note all sellers are buisness sellers - so if someone decides they want to sell a handbag for personal reasons do not deem then con artists because they don't spend thier lives grazing ebay .
    If you want to use feedback as an indicator look for better tell tale signs then the number.
    (a) private feedback - it generally is private not because of poor feedback but because they have sold a number of what it is they are selling now. Mass selling.
    (b)feedback scores - check the buyer feedback items are they all small value goods like 99c or a few dollars. thisis buying feedback.
    (c)mutual withdrawn - how many havebeen mutual withdrawn.

3)Dustbags - listen to the sellers story. I have a prada dustbag which is now pink and has oils stains because cosmetics spilt on it in my luggage. If i was to sell the handbag (which is unharmed), i would have to advertise it as no prada dustbag but generic one available. don't be quick to judge.

4)Questions - i have friends who put listings on Ebay and don't look back until the end to see how much the have sold for and where to send it. Don't always assume a delay response in answering your questions is someone avoiding your authencity questions. However if you see they have posted answer to softer questions and completly disregarded yours then be mad.

5)Disclaimers - sellers are starting to use disclaimers now, not because they are fake goods but because of IP law. Sometimes listing brand names can be deemed an IP issue, so disclaimers actually protect sellers from VERO complaints, it's not about fooling the buyer if anything it is opening you eyes.

6)Authentic - the use of the word authentic in a listing is not always the seller trying to convince you it is real. When you list a luxury branded good ebay warning often come on explaining the VERO policy and it actually directs you to edit your listing to include the word Authentic. However when you start seeing Authentic Guarnteed 100% 200%, then worry. But the bog standard addition of the word authentic is more about pleasing ebay.

7)Low Price starts - i have seen auctions start at ridicolously low selling prices and end up at prices close to and over that in the boutiques. So again do not make sweeping judgements that a low price start is because it is a fake. Low Buy It Now price those are now a bit on shaky ground.

So in conclusion please do not assume this post is an attack of your work. It is not, it is simply a request to proceed with caution with the authentic process. As for the blatant fakes please continue to go forth and destroy.
  2. I'm not a senior member of this forum or anything but you seem very geniune... and well... I agree that humans all make mistakes. I'm just sorry this happened to you and all your advice sounds really reasonable too...
  3. I think you should post this in the authenticity thread for LV
  4. I agree, I also think you should post this in LV, but especially with LV it seems like you had some authenticity approvals as well. As with all your points above, I agree, every story is v different, but for me personally, if somebody had low feedback, no reciept, and no dustbag then I would walk away, that is just my own personal preference! ;)

I think it would also help in v genuine ads like yours to add in your ebay listing that you are more than happy for your buyer to have the bag authenticated via My Poupette etc as that helps reiterate the fact that your bag, is indeed authentic, and puts buyers minds at risk :smile:

I hope you stick around and become a member here. You have had a bad experience in having your ebay auction taken down, but it seems you were more a victim of timing by not being able to respond to questions than anybody here reporting your bag as a fake! You could even help others in the LV section, as you are obviously a bag lover.

I thank heavens every day that our authenticate sections are here, as it has stopped innumerable people from making, often very expensive mistakes :smile:
  5. ^^^^ ITA Chloe-Babe
  6. Dear sunshinerose,

Thank you for bringing those points to our attention.
    I agree that this should also go over to the Louis Vuitton sub-forum as the bag in question was that particular brand.

I think, as many will agree, that the most knowledge about a brand, now lies within a brands sub-forum.

I, for one, would not dream of popping over to the LV board and authenticating anything, as i don't have the first clue about LV!

However, i do know about Mulberry, Chloe and possibly a couple of other brands.

With this in mind, having bought, and owned several Chloe Paddingtons, two genuine and one fake, i believe that i personally have a reasonably good knowledge base to help advise others on potential purchases. I am by no means an expert.

I agree with chloe-babe that if the 'authenticate this' section were not here, there would have been many, many dreadful stories of buying fakes, losing money and much worse.

Of course, there will always be honest sellers out there, like yourself, but you can also guarantee that there will be sellers peddling fake goods, and will insist that a bag is authentic until they are blue in the face.

I've recently had pictures stolen from here, and used on fraudulent eBay listings. One particular seller got quite agressive when i asked her to take my picture off her auction. I reported her to eBay, but so far, it's taken almost a week to get just two replies from eBay.

I agree that zero receipt does not always mean fake, as receipts can also be faked, but, if i were going to spend lots of £ on a bag, i would want every single bit of supporting evidence to go with that bag - dustbag, receipt, original packaging etc etc.

Low seller feedback is always a 'flag' as are accusations of selling fakes. A 'flag' is a warning to tread carefully. It doesn't mean it's a definite no-no, but more a case that the buyer should proceed with caution.

I sold a Chloe paddington recently with every single piece of paper/card it arrived with, as i feel that is an important part of re-selling. Buyers like to feel secure that the bag is 1000000% authentic. Any doubt, and they tend not to bid. Unless they're just after a 'bargain' of course, in which case, they are most likely to be buying a fake.

The purpose of the 'Authenticate this' section is for buyers to gain a collective knowledge of potential purchases. The final decision to purchase, or not purchase, rests with the buyer and the buyer alone. We, as authenticators on tPF, can only give the best advice we possibly can.

I, too, hope you stick around, and best of luck with your future sales.:smile: