problem with coyotes

We also have this problem. Packs of Coyotes can also be a threat to larger dogs also. My dad's friend's son has a king lab and he was attacked by a pack of coyotes. I would keep my dogs under a watchful eye and go out with them when they go to the bathroom. I am not too sure if you are able to shoot them. I would check out your state laws and see what it says. Good luck!

Fish and Wildlife most likely will not kill them, they will be moved to a different area, now depending on where she is in CGY some areas are quite close to the mountains, and the problem may not go away ever.

What about making a pen for your dogs? If it is roofed and has a wire floor or mesh extending out a couple feet outside it so coyotes couldn't dig in your dogs would be safe. You could put a doggy door in and have the pen attached it it so your dogs could come and go as they pleased.

Oh trust me, i am the biggest animal lover out there. I would never intend to hurt an animal, i would rather hurt humans. My Bf bought me a BB gun for when they approach my dogs cause there has been a time where my pomeranian was hopping around barking at the coyote trying to play with it and the coyote is standing on the other side of the fence staring at my dog. I've seen coyotes walk around the golf course and i am too scared to go outside for myself, let alone go out and shoot them.

But the wolf and coyote urine is a great idea!! thanks so much. I'll go look for it soon and i'll tell u guys how it goes!

I live in a state that is own 98% by the BLM. Which means 98% of NV is wild area for the coyotes, burros, mt lions, bobcats, big horn sheep, etc. There is 45 miles of this empty land (as the coyote wanders)between my house & the next city. I would think the OP lving in Canada, there is plenty of area for animals to roam & feed. Development, I hear, is a problem in CA but its not here.
The carnaviors come to where we live cause people pets are easy food. They have plenty of land & resources, they found an easier meal dining on peoples furbabies. I can put my trash out & they won't touch it. Not good enough for them. People that let their cats/dogs wander gave coyotes a taste & now they like it.
I too love animals. Coyotes are beautiful when they are well fed & have their winter coats. If coyote urine works by all means use it. Or if you see a recently killed by a car one on the side of the road, think about taking it.
Please be outside near your dog, all the time when your dog is out. I've seen these things climb an 8 ft iron fence up hill to get some quail I had in my backyard. They are fast as heck.
Your poor little dog thinks he's got a playmate when all his playmate wants is him for dinner. :crybaby:

Your poor little dog thinks he's got a playmate when all his playmate wants is him for dinner. :crybaby:

oh my goodness how scary! i live in NY and we have some coyotes (although i think its pretty rare where i live) but nothing like this. I had no idea they were such a problem! If I had this problem I would probably just never let my dogs outside at night, just because there seems to be little you could do if a coyote got in and got ahold of one of your puppies :crybaby:are they too big to be trained to use wee wee pads at night? it would be a pain in the neck to train them, buy the pads, etc. but at least you know theyd be safe.

For all you people who have coyote problems. There is no absolute way of keeping coyotes awaw from anything but getting rid of them is a sure thing. I have started a new company of predator control. To my knowledge it is the only company of its kind. I have benn controlling coyotes in my area for 3 years and it works great. It does however take time to work. It takes 3 treatment over a 2 month period and again in 3 more months. You will need to keep up the service or more coyotes will move into the area.

Much of my town has US and State Forest land within it and we residents keep in mind WE are living in the animals' homes, not the other way around. So we expect bears, coyotes, and the like to wander through our property and on our streets/roads.

The key is, as VLL said, to be with your furbabies when they are outside. Don't let them out alone.