Private School vs Public School

My son is in 7th grade now and I'm worrying about private vs. public. The San Francisco school district is pretty horrible, I fear for my son's safety. But the $$$!

My hubby and I keep going back and forth on that.

When I mentioned that saving $20K/year could help fund a substantially more expensive house, it wasn't to encourage conspicuous consumption. I just pointed it out because a quarter million dollars can often make the difference between living in a so-so school district and a truly great one. And if you have more than one child, those differences are only magnified.

I find it somewhat ironic that many of our privately-educated members are open to public schools, while those with public education backgrounds are interested in private school educations. Although I'm interested in public schools, especially for elementary, I am put off by the public high schools in my area.

I live in Ann Arbor, Michigan, a college town with some of the highest property values in our state. In the last three years, the following happened at our local high school: 2005: three students committed armed robbery of a bank. 2004: one 10th grader shot and killed another student while truant from classes. 2003: a fifteen year old boy was raped in the boys' bathroom by another student.

There's no way I'd let my child go to that particular school, and I'm appalled those things happen in my town. But there are other towns where kids seem to have better values, and I would definitely consider the schools if I lived there.

Of course, bad things can happen at private schools too. When I was a senior at Exeter, one of my 18 year old classmates had sex with a 14 year old prep on the filthy unused shower floor in the basement of my dorm. Later that night, the girl was taken by ambulence to the local hospital because of uncontrolled bleeding and pain. When she returned, she was mocked by fellow students and snubbed by faculty, and ended up leaving school for good two weeks later. The senior graduated the following month without ever having been brought up before the discipline committee. Today, everyone would recognize this as statutory rape, but at that time, it was just something to ignore.

I would do private high school, public anything below that. I went to public school, private high school, and private college. I loved it, it costs a lot of money, but it was great.

I also have friends that went all public schools and did so well, they all went to IVY league schools, and grad schools after that for free.

I also had friends that were in private elementary and high school that never even pursued a higher education. So it's like what was all that money spent for???

So it depends... I wouldn't knock public school, but i'd definitely check out the environment first, before going to private school.

I remember when I was young... like maybe 4 LOL my mom used to tell me, oh you like pretty things? well in order to get pretty things, you need to finish your education... goto college, etc. Yea she's been drillin this in my head :noggin: and I guess it paid off... LOL

Coldplaylover said:
The quality of drugs is much better at the "safe" private schools.

:roflmfao: Sad, but true. I went to privates schools from kindergarten until college and I truly believe that it was worth it, but also believe that it depends on where you live. As far as high school "rankings" go, don't be too quick to believe the hype. I would do more research than reading the annual "Best High Schools" list that Newsweek has been producing of late. Unfortunately this list is the product of "junk science" in which the quality of the schools in question is judged primarily on the number of AP classes offered by the schools. I grew up in Michigan which has a lot of great schools in spite of an economic crisis, but currently live in Virginia where many ranked schools are and people have been in a frenzy over this much-hyped list. Numerous articles have been printed lately debating the list's credibility and the truth is very interesting. There is an article in the NYT called ON EDUCATION; Odd Math for 'Best High Schools' List that is really informative.:yes:

I think the drug problems really depend on where you live. I went to private school until the 9th grade. I never saw drugs anywhere. When I went into public high school, drugs were all over and kids were smoking marijuana on the sports field in between classes. I remember being totally shocked. Its possible the drugs were in the private school too but I never saw them, so it may have been a more hidden thing. (This was in the 70s)

I attended international schools for most of my elementary education as my dad's job required us to move every couple of years and then from the age of 11 and a half I attended a boarding school in England. I have to tell you that it was pretty traumatic at first as I had never been away from my parents and worse I was the 'baby' of the family (my much older siblings were off to Uni. by then and had previously also attended boarding schools). Of course I later realised that my dad was doing this for my education and safety, the place he had been posted did not have great schools and was not exactly an open society. Nevertheless I was terribly homesick and cried for about 2 months straight (my friends fom school love to remind me of this!!!), however after that I soon settled into what was to be one of my most defining periods of my life. The advantages were many: classes were limited to about 14, we were offered countless subjects and were expected to perform accordingly or you wouldn't make it the coming year, had a variety of PE classes from canoeing to lacrosse to field hockey to swimming etc., just ran the gamut and most of all it taught me to be independent ( BTW I was a full boarder), the sisterhood that was born is indescribable (if any of you have read Enid Blyton's Malory Towers or St.Clare's, we had midnight feasts etc.) - of course it's not for everyone, some girls just weren't suited for boarding life and there were some who had been sent there for the convenience of their parents (a friend had been boarding from the age of 5 because her mom liked galivanting around the world) and I did come back to my parents a different person (they weren't there to see many of the changes). All in all it was very positive and feel so grateful and lucky I was able to have such an experience.
Now that I have a daughter I would like to eventually send her to one but ideally as a weekly boarder - she is only 6 months old though so it is along way off...
Just thought I'd share my personal experience, yikes I am sorry I went on for so long!:shame:

It's all relative IMO.

They're not all created equal. There are PLENTY of public schools that are far superior to some private schools, and vice versa.

We are not private schooling because we happen to be in one of the top 10 public school districts in TX, but education is paramount to us. If we thought for a moment that our children would have a better education in a private school, we'd do it.

It depends on the school district and the school and the teachers. you should go visit each school you are considering. Find out who your child's teachers are/will be and see if you agree with their educational philosophies. I went to private schools my whole life and it really made a huge difference. I also travelled a lot and studied abroad and saw different places and communities when i was very young. It broadened my horizons immeasurably and made me feel like a "world citizen" rather than just an American from my suburban neighborhood. In some public schools everyone is just marking time and it's like a total waste of time (of course, it is all school specific, so none of my comments are sweeping generalizations, just based on my specific experience) My BF is an example of someone who went to public school (in one of the worst rated states for education) and he wishes dearly he could have had the educational opportunities I had. he ended up going to a state college which was a further waste of time, according to him. He just didn't realize that education in the early years is so important. his parents didn't get it either and thought private school and univ were "too expensive" and they believed more in spending their money on cars and lifestyle things. He is now working at a top rated university in research and is amazed at the opportunites that are available to students at great universities and now he wants to get his MBA there. It is also dependent on your particular child. And of course, if they don't enjoy the school they are in, look around and see if you can find a better fit.

my sister and i are private school graduates, and i feel we were at an extreme advantage over our same age peers. nothing that mattered in adulthood, really, but when we were children, we were always farther along, got more individualized attention(our school was very small),and we were fluent in 2 languages. of course there were disadvantages as well, still nothing that carries over to adulthood, but i think if i ever have children, and i have the means to educate them privately, i certainly will.

I went to a private school all throughout. From K-college. There are a lot of expectations when you are in a private school and everybody is expected to achieve a hogher level of education. All of my siblings went and we are all in the medical field ( 2 dentist including me, 1 is a nures and the youngest is a physical therapist) My parents are not rich, and they sacrificed a lot for us to get the best education they can offer and I appreciate that. I think it just depends on you.

I went to public school through nineth grade, then for the remainder of high school I've attended a Catholic school run by the Fransiscan Brothers. I love it, and after being in it for three years, would never go back to a public school. The enviorment is just so different. It feels like a community, rather than just a school. Today was actually the last day of classes for senior (which I am)! I'll be graduating on June 3rd! I'm so excited. Anyways, I do feel that I've received a better education than that which a public school could have provided. Just my opinion...