Private School vs Public School

1. How many of you went to private school and what are the advantages & disadvantages? I think private school is a safer route although not a guarantee for success. However DH thinks we should be saving for our retirement ! Of course, I cannot help thinking how many LV bags I could buy by not paying private tuition:rolleyes: Many private schools in NYC accept students from age 3, after that admissions become much more difficult. DD turns 2 next month, please help us decide. Since both DH and I were not educated in this country, we don't have first hand experience, please share yours. Much appreciated !

2. There are very different kinds of privates and publics.

There's Exeter, Groton, Choate, Andover (if you live near one of them, your kids can be day students, they won't have to board)... and then there are your Sacred Hearts, various Latin schools... Country Day schools (biggest waste of money are the Country Day schools in my humble opinion, especially for elementary)...

But then there are public schools in New Jersey and Conneticut better than 90% of private schools in America.

3. I went to private school all my life..and I think it was for the better..and rankings around here certainly show that..but..

I think it's really up to the child. Some people I know send some (not all) of their kids to private, because one of them needs the 'attention' (very mild a.d.d.) and etc that comes with private school

If i were you, i'd look into it and begin processes of it..theres no harm in that..you might as well seize the oppurtunity now, and not regret it later.

4. I've gone to public school all my life and think I've received a great education- but I live in a prestigious area with no crime and borderline freakshow PTA moms.

5. For the most part, I feel that public school provides a good education and base for life. One definite advantage that public school has is variety of different groups of people which I think, teaches kids how to get along with others, not exactly like themselves. My siblings and I all went to public school and there are 3 docs and a dentist among us. My parents wanted us to go to school in our neighborhood also so that our friends would live close by.
    I agree that with college being so expensive these days, one is probably better served by their parents saving their money for higher education, rather than spending $20,000 a year on preschool/elementary school education. After all, in this day and age, many people need to also go on to grad school of some sort to position themselves to compete in the corporate world. Job head hunters probably care more where you did your college and grad school than where one went to elementary school.
    If you can afford private school, more power to you. However, for most people with more than one child, it is a stretch and is no guarantee that your child will be any happier, more well-adjusted or smarter than his public school counterpart...

6. Hi YPK...I actually went to both....private school for 8 years from 1st grade to 9th grade, and then public from 10th to 12th. I loved loved going to public school...so many different people...where at the private school I went to, you grew up with the same 30 to 40 kids year after year. I have to admit though, private school really prepped and challenged me more academically...when I got to public school, I soared through those classes boy! It also depends on extracurricular activities...public school has every single activity you could think of because of the diversity and girth of people...I wouldn't be surprised if they had after-school "purse meetings". Whereas private school, having less students, have less bodies to form so many different activities and groups. Hope this was helpful!:idea:

7. I went to private schools all of my life (including one of the boarding schools IntlSet mentioned.) The education has served me well, but I'm now considering public schools along with private schools for my soon-to-be four year old.

I really think it depends upon where you live. In Manhattan, I probably would favor private schools, especially if you intend to stay there for the next decade and a half. The people I've known who've gone to private schools in NYC, tend to stick fairly close with each other throughout their lives. And it's the social reasons, rather than the academic reasons I'd favor those schools. However, if your income is far below the average of your child's classmates, she might have a harder time.

That said, I would look into the public and charter school options in your area. And I personally think it's worth moving so your child can go to a school that you feel comfortable with. My husband has had the benefit of 16 years of Catholic education and always reminds me about the public schools: "If our son goes to public school, that's US$20,000/year we could spend on getting a larger house." And with today's rates, that's a house that's worth nearly US$300,000 more! Unbelievable, isn't it?

Anyway, spend the next year looking at your options, and if you decide on private schools, make sure not to miss the deadlines! They're far earlier than a reasonable person would expect. Good luck.

8. I went to public school, except for graduate school. But I'm definitely sending my kids to private school, unless I end up in a top in the country school district and upon a close examination see that there aren't benefits to doing so. I received a great education, but I was in a magnet program, something my kids may or may not want to do. I think a big advantage of private schools is that your children are surrounded by people who are expected to go to college and probably graduate school. I think its a positive kind of peer pressure. Its been my experience that many people in public schools have a lax attitude about which college they'll go to, if any. They're focus just isn't there. I also think public schools are underfunded and don't focus on rigorous academics in the same way private schools do too, that and the success rate for getting into a top university is much higher if you're at a private school. I think if you can afford it, its usually worth it. Colleges are a different matter, I went to a top in the country public school for college and wouldn't trade that for anything.

9. I started off going to private school and for my senior years, my parents ended up putting me in a public school. The main difference between the 2 was the fact that the private school had better resources, like better computers, a higher number of teachers so classes weren't so over crowed, better and a wider range of facilities, like a pool, 3 gyms and tennis courts, etc. But personally, i preferred public schools. I'm not entirely sure why, but probably because of the wider range of different social and economic backgrounds. I got to become friends with people who were dirt poor, people who were filthy rich and people whose parents were ambassadors for other countries. It was a weird mix, but lots of fun. The division between kids who came from wealthy families and kids who came from not so wealthy families wasn't as apparent as in my private school and i really liked that!!!

10. I agree with many of the posters about private school - the pressure of it is quite good, as many are "expected" to go off for more and more school.

However, one valid point (as crass and tacky as it sounds) has been brought up - if you're not "as well off" as others in the school, I would think twice about sending your child there. It sounds petty + irrlevant and many public school people did not believe me, but man did it ever matter. EVERYONE knew everyones business and..in grade 6+, more people became aware of it and started..umm.."disassociating" with those who were not as "affluent." That would be a pretty traumatizing social experience for any tween/teen.

11. I think it depends on where you live. For me, the biggest advantage to private school is SAFETY. If there is a child there who is causing problems, violent, etc., they can be expelled. I don't think you'll ever see a Columbine at a private school because they are not forced to take problem children into the population. There are no guarantees, but I've seen over and over that public schools do a poor job of simply PROTECTING children from harmful elements in the school. That is the number one reason I'd either homeschool or have kids in private schools.

12. I agree that with college being so expensive these days, one is probably better served by their parents saving their money for higher education, rather than spending $20,000 a year on preschool/elementary school education. After all, in this day and age, many people need to also go on to grad school of some sort to position themselves to compete in the corporate world. Job head hunters probably care more where you did your college and grad school than where one went to elementary school.
    If you can afford private school, more power to you. However, for most people with more than one child, it is a stretch and is no guarantee that your child will be any happier, more well-adjusted or smarter than his public school counterpart...
    I went to a private all girls school, then went public when we moved because the public schools were really good in our new town. Both were a great education. My sister went to public, then went to one of the top boarding schools in the country and she said the kids were doing all kinds of drugs and getting into trouble there. My older sister went private all the way. In my town now, the public teachers are fantastic. The public school education is there IF THE KIDS WANT IT. A parent can only go so far. The private school here has a common goal (with families who attend) of higher education (college and beyond) but the education is not really better- and the kids are, once again, getting into all kinds of trouble-as much as in the public school. NOT ALL KIDS, I should say...but I think it really comes down to the child. I've seen it with mine. We've done parochial (in the earlier years), private (tried it for my oldest) and now public. I am a big supporter of the public school system.

13. I apologize. I was trying to quote yogagirl's comment above. Can someone please tell me how to highlight a quote?

14. Hi! Just click on the quote button on the bottom right hand corner of the post you want quoted and it appears automatically in the reply to thread box.

15. I used to go to a private school and i hated it!!!! i was a good student so i didnt need teh dicepline and get this i wanted to study greek on weekends for the HSC (equivalent of LSATS) but they wouldnt let me becuase sport was so much more important for teh school, mind u i was in the lowest teams as well becuase i hated sport! i wanted to do textiles and design (either by corespondance (learing by mail) or at TAFE (an adult college which wasnt very prestegious but as a young student it looks good)) nietyher were acceptad by the school because yes even today we have sterotypes that "women should know how to sew and not men" (hello how many of the leading deigners are men?), also this particular school did not push students at all, NOTE: ALOT OF THESE SCHOOLS OFFER SCHOLARSHIPS TO VERY VERY TALENTED STUDENTS PURELY TO MAKE THE SCHOOL LOOK GOOD!!! 20% of the grade were scholarship winners some of which were in the top 1 or 2% of the state! they do this so the not so talented students pay for thier education and fees and the smarter students make the school look great (and if ur kid gets offered a scholarship u still get sucked in my friend who had one had mental breakdowns everyweek in teh 7th grade! he had been forced by the school to join every band they had offered and so he went to school at 6.30 and went home at 5 due to the extra ciricular activites plus he was orced to do another 2 extra curiculum activities (i.e. debating, rowing, water polo, etc.) so i decided to switch to a state school its not the choice for everyone but im a student who studies so i have tutors in all my subjects, my parents save money and im so much happier! my parents even offered to give me the money they saved from the school swich toward univercity of college which is much more important! basiclly unless its a really run down school in a bad community every school must teach the sylubus (wether ur child learns is adifferent story) so the fundamentals are taught! i personally think $20 000 a year for highschool (6 years) =$120 000 is (in our case from primayry school at total of 12-13 years depending on preliminary years) you are looking at $260 000 that 1/4 of a million! plus all other hidden fees which are re-invented every week by the schools. I strongly suggest that you only use private schools as a final options because i dont feel that are that great or nearly worth the money! but it your choice