Prison for man in fake designer bags scam

1. Just read this story in sfgate today -
    http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/09/05/BA1VRVJGH.DTL

Two Daly City men have been sentenced for their roles in a scheme to sell counterfeit designer handbags on eBay and at a Richmond store.

Johnny Lee Tan, 45, was sentenced to 18 months in prison for money laundering, and his nephew, Kevin Pua, 28, was sentenced to five years' probation for conspiracy.

At a hearing Thursday in San Francisco, U.S. District Judge Jeffrey White ordered Tan to begin serving his sentence on Dec. 3.

A third defendant, Pua's mother, Nancy Tan Pua, 50, pleaded guilty to one count each of mail fraud, wire fraud, trafficking in counterfeit goods and money laundering and is scheduled to be sentenced on Dec. 6.

The three hosted eBay auctions for handbags they falsely claimed were made by Prada, Christian Dior, Fendi and Gucci. They also sold the bags at a store called Label Love on Pierce Street in Richmond.

Kevin Pua acted as a "gopher" for his mother and did not appear to benefit substantially even though he was paid, Assistant U.S. Attorney Kyle Waldinger wrote in a sentencing memorandum.

Tan admitted to laundering more than $210,000.

From January 2002 to December 2003, Nancy Pua wired more than $2 million from thousands of eBay buyers to accounts in Switzerland, China and Malta "with the intent to promote the sale of counterfeit goods," authorities said.

2. Good, that will teach them a lesson!

3. Wow, great example of what can happen...

4. GOOD!!

Thanks for the article! FAKES = :throwup:

5. :yahoo::woohoo:

6. :yahoo::woohoo::boxing::drinkup:

7. You know there is a flea market like an hour from my house and I have been there once and there was like 30 tables set up filled with knockoffs...do you think if you call the police and tell them it would get shut down? I really don't know how the police don't know about these places, but it is really frustrating. I went there cuz my bf dragged me there for some computer parts he wanted and I was appauled!

8. To be honest, I think this sentencing was more heavy because of the money laundering (look at how much) with the bags being a front rather than them getting arrested solely for selling fake bags. Hence, why places like princessaj0603's flea market are still selling them.

9. That is a good point, I never really thought of it that way. I just find it so odd why even in NYC on Canal Street, there are police officers that clearly know what is going on and no one is ever stopped carrying a black trash bag full of goods. I guess since they are stolen (by the consumer) that is makes it ok? I dunno maybe I am missing something, but it just seems so obvious!

10. I think the police are certainly aware of it. But the small-time sellers on the street corner are not important to them when you consider the number of violent criminals they deal with every day. They do have stings occasionally to catch the people bringing in the millions of fakes, but those are usually after months of investigation.

11. Yeah I heard about one flea market in NH that was raided and shut down. Then a few months later they were up and running again! I guess there really isn't much that I can do about it, I just always wondered what would happen if I did call the police. The market is in a small town, not to violent...but then again they probably wouldn't even care.

Oh Well!!!

12. Good! Whether it's for selling fakes or money laundering (hopefully both), I'm glad the po-po are cracking down. BTW, I read sfgate almost everyday!