Price increase> Why are you still buying?

I am new to Chanel. I bought my Chanel patent jumbo and two wocs last week. I do not know how much they cost before and when was the last increase.
Most of you probably know the crazy increase but I don't. If I knew about it, I probably shop in yoogi or eBay to save myself some tax money.
I am pretty much behind from this price increase. If I know they increase the medium patent(3900$) or any flaps, I swear I will stop shopping there.

I am new to Chanel. I bought my Chanel patent jumbo and two wocs last week. I do not know how much they cost before and when was the last increase.
Most of you probably know the crazy increase but I don't. If I knew about it, I probably shop in yoogi or eBay to save myself some tax money.
I am pretty much behind from this price increase. If I know they increase the medium patent(3900$) or any flaps, I swear I will stop shopping there.

If you said that then you wouldn't shop anywhere as pretty much every label increases their prices all the time, Chanel isn't the only one.

While I agree H has some "low" end styles, imho, that don't interest me at all, but generally speaking -- and I'll get to the exception in a sec -- the workmanship of a constance, kelly and birkin is quite exceptional. Nothing comes even close and that is something DH has stated. (Coming from a man, that says a lot!)

Last season H created their "candy line" -- some very beautiful vivid colors that make the drool slip from the lips and eyeballs cling to them for dear life. BUT what did H do but adopt the Walmart mentality. They used epsom, which is a pressed, embossed, plastic looking (think cheaper) leather. Yes, it presents color very well but so does swift and other smooth leathers (like box, which is another chapter). There are folks who love it for the color saturation but more folks who detest epsom and wouldn't cough up the dough for an embossed leather. Go ahead H and keep it up as others have done and peeps are going to reach for the older purses just like folks are doing with Chanel.

you have the best information! good to know about epsom. Is it calf or lamb do you know? I saw a little picotin today for £1400 and I cannot say I were impressed.:cool:

Thank you jmen! You are extremely informative without being condescending. I don't own a Hermes, but what you said about the epsom it seems "H" is trying to keep up with the heavy demand of their brand as of lately?

Their "high" end bags are beautifully crafted, like no other. I don't know if an "H" bag is in my future due to their cost and to be honest, I don't think I'm sophisticated enough to carry one! Certainly, I don't have the "status" to really pull one off and it think would look silly for me to get into a car that is worth just about the same. :lol: That's just me and how I feel about it, but if I'm ever in the position to get a gorgeous Birkin I will seek out your latest posts to know which one to get (or not get!) :graucho:

same here. I do not feel comfortable with a kelly - though I adore the way it looks. I'd feel self conscious carrying a bag worth that much.:cool: Idid buy a little her bag though...which looks like a kelly but is more casual looking.http://forum.purseblog.com/hermes/s...-experienced-hermes-owners-herbag-684351.html

you have the best information! good to know about epsom. Is it calf or lamb do you know? I saw a little picotin today for £1400 and I cannot say I were impressed.:cool:

I purchased an MM picotin awhile back and it's my favorite grab and go to market, run errand purse. That said, if one prefers shoulder purses, the evelyn stays put on the shoulder (unlike Chanel). Mine is barenia and really suits me when I'm in the boho look mood. I always shied away from e's because of the holes; I solved that by wearing that side towards my body.

Back to the pico, it doesn't tumble over chucking the contents everywhere -- thanks to the large base and the fact it puddles inward. It's not lined like the kelly or birkin so they're lighter in weight. From the Hermes artisan perspective, it is a beginner's piece from which they graduate to the more difficult pieces and this may be why you though oh, no big deal. If one lives in a city, there is the easy access to contents issue to consider but I'm in the boonies, comparatively speaking, so I find it fast access. Heck, you could play a game of toss and see if you can hit the opening while on the fly.

Not sure what epsom is (other than ugly in a large piece). It's not lambskin so it's a bull, calf or some such. I do apologize to those reading who love it, I really don't mean to offend. We're paying a lot of money, it should be everything your heart desires.

I have been thinking of getting a Chanel reissue, but have decided against it. I think the prices are getting ridiculus.Even though I can afford it, I just dont think its worth it. Also the message its sending is wrong. To spend 5000 USD on a handbag - no way. You can travel the world for that money and think of the what the money could do on the horn of Africa for instanse. I would feel ashamed to buy such an expensive bag :lecture:

I feel the same way. Can't justify spending $5k on a bag when I can do other things with it. I have chanel bags sitting in my closet that I don't even use these days...but i still love them.:biggrin:

I purchased an MM picotin awhile back and it's my favorite grab and go to market, run errand purse. That said, if one prefers shoulder purses, the evelyn stays put on the shoulder (unlike Chanel). Mine is barenia and really suits me when I'm in the boho look mood. I always shied away from e's because of the holes; I solved that by wearing that side towards my body.

Back to the pico, it doesn't tumble over chucking the contents everywhere -- thanks to the large base and the fact it puddles inward. It's not lined like the kelly or birkin so they're lighter in weight. From the Hermes artisan perspective, it is a beginner's piece from which they graduate to the more difficult pieces and this may be why you though oh, no big deal. If one lives in a city, there is the easy access to contents issue to consider but I'm in the boonies, comparatively speaking, so I find it fast access. Heck, you could play a game of toss and see if you can hit the opening while on the fly.

Not sure what epsom is (other than ugly in a large piece). It's not lambskin so it's a bull, calf or some such. I do apologize to those reading who love it, I really don't mean to offend. We're paying a lot of money, it should be everything your heart desires.

yes the picotin could be considered a pick pockets gift from the heavens. :roflmfao:So is it also a hand made bag? I wondered which ones are the hand made H bags?

I feel the same way. Can't justify spending $5k on a bag when I can do other things with it. I have chanel bags sitting in my closet that I don't even use these days...but i still love them.:biggrin:

Yeap I feel the same way ... back in 2006-2007 the same flaps costed about 2k. now it's up to 5k ... I am so glad i purchased my flaps when they were cheap i fi may put this way ... :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: But i am definitely done with chanel ... at least for now.

chanel is way expensive now though more affordable than hermes. i'm not so much impressed with the designs of hermes. i got an evelyn though, which is the only style that suits me.
the last chanel item i got was a classic clutch and that's it. thank god i got the flaps i need when they were only 2k+. i will not go beyond 3k for a handbag. to me it's impractical. i only buy chanel that i know will be useful and not for collection purposes.i think chanel has more useful bags that attract people. no wonder a lot of us are still lured into buying more. it's just a big turn-off that their quality is going down the drain . still wish they improve on this..

I conclude, Chanel is addictive. Forget the ridiculous & crazy price, buying Chanel makes me happy.

I regretted not buying a classic when I was in Paris way back then. After 10 years and looking at the price diff (i bought my jumbo last year for Euro2010, imagine how much the price 10 yrs ago??), I think, many women will think the same way I did. Buy now or pay so much more later.

After a collection of a few classic pieces, I am happy with settling down with Chanel jewelry and SLGs. :smile:

chanel is way expensive now though more affordable than hermes. i'm not so much impressed with the designs of hermes. i got an evelyn though, which is the only style that suits me..i think chanel has more useful bags that attract people. no wonder a lot of us are still lured into buying more. it's just a big turn-off that their quality is going down the drain . still wish they improve on this..

Can you clarify why you think that about quality? Honestly I ve got a vintage black lambskin and a new classic one (bought last year) The quality seems just perfect to me - the most beautiful bag I ve ever seen. though perhaps I am missing something?

^^^I want to know too. I've gotten 5 new Chanel bags in the past year, both classic and seasonal. Although I don't have any vintage bags to compare them to, all of are perfect. I've never had one quality issue with any of them and I use them all regularly. If I want another Chanel in the future I'll definitely buy one without a second thought.

I tend to find myself buying more Chanel from authentic dealers secondhand as the prices go up and new collections come out. I'm not a fan of the recent designs lately so I typically tend to look for older pieces. But in terms of the actual store, I believe I'm stopping at window shopping.