Preventing skin cancer: Slip and slap are better than slop

1. Preventing skin cancer: Slip and slap are better than slop

AFP - Thursday, May 3 01:18 am
    PARIS (AFP) - Will "Slip Slop Slap," a southern hemisphere campaign to prevent skin cancer, have to be rethought?

The slogan, running especially in Australia and New Zealand, urges the public to slip on a shirt, slop on sunscreen and slap on a hat to protect themselves from ultraviolet (UV) rays that age skin and cause skin cancer.
    But, according to a review of the evidence published online Thursday by the British health journal The Lancet, skin protection is a rather more complex business than this.
    Wearing thick garments -- and avoiding direct exposure to the sun in the first place -- are smarter than wearing loose-weave clothing and applying sunscreen, it says.
    Sun-protection strategies around the world were assessed by Swiss dermatologist Stephan Lautenschlager of Zurich's Triemli Hospital.
    His team found that tightly woven, thick clothing made of denim, wool and polyester offers the best protection, while cotton, linen and acetate are far less effective.
    Clothes that have shrunk after washing -- and thus are denser -- are also better than materials which are wet or have been stretched or bleached, according to Lautenschlager's team.
    The review says that many people are confused or misinformed about how to use sunscreen, such as how much to apply (a liberal dose is recommended by far) and how frequently to reapply it.
    There is not even a standardised method to measure the effectiveness of UV blocking, it says.
    This is important, given "our global, outdoor society," it says.
    "The sunscreen market -- crowded by numerous products -- shows various differences worldwide," it notes. "(...) Sunscreens should not be abused in an attempt to increase time in the sun to a maximum."

2. I am a sunscreen freek! Everytime I go out in the sun with my friends they get to hear my sun screen lecture.

It will be very intresting (only because I am going in to health field) and very sad so see the number of young people developing skin cancer in the near future. I remeber, not to long ago, when a good percentage of the girls in high school used to go to the tanning bed religiously and they would be soooooo dark. I admit I tried it a few times but I knew the risks that were involved and stopped.

I hate it when people resond to my sun screen preachings with, "oh well they can just cut the cancer off".. or something along those lines. First of all it is not at all attractive to have even small areas that are precancerous cut out, I have pictures of some of my small scars to prove. Second, sometimes its not that easy to just cut it out. People DIE from skin cancer! And why would you want to do that to yourself (and your friends and family)?

With summer comming up I want to remind everyone to wear your sunscreen everyday!

<steps of soapbox> :smile:
  3. I spent six years of my life on a tropical island and my mom made SURE my brother and I were properly covered in sunscreen before we left the house. {And if we weren't, our extreme sunburns were punishment enough.}

Ever since I moved back to Massachusetts, and now living in Toronto, it has been my choice to avoid the sun. I know I don't have the right skin for it. So I'm not missing out on nutrients, I took Vitamin D supplaments.

I've had two moles removed, and I go for yearly mole checks.
  4. I had melanoma in 1989. I remember it so well, I was at work and the derm called me on the phone and told me the biopsy was positive for melanoma. I had radiation and a big chunk carved out. Oh, and the reason I had gone for a check up? I had a dream I had gotten skin cancer and it was so vivid it drove me to the doctor.
  5. Irishgal you are so lucky that you did go in and get it checked out before it was too late. I am happy to hear that they caught it.
  6. Wow Irishgal that is freaky, glad you are ok but seriously wondering about that dream & how things like that work - premonitions or what?????
  7. I don't think people take skin cancer as seriously as they should. My boyfriend's grandmother died a few years ago of skin cancer and it was NOT pretty.
  8. Okay, this is just my observation... I am asian and the people where I live are really conscious about having fair skin. It is quite common to see people using umbrellas to shield themselves from the sun while walking the street. I am visiting california right now, and I am amazed (more like shock) on how people here stay under the sun even if its 12 noon! It is unthinkable for me to be walking aroung disney around this time. I see people biking, jogging, sun bathing, riding in convertibles with no qualms that they are literally cooking. Because here, having a suntan or when you have darker skin, it is considered beautiful.

9. I agree most people think that it can just be cut out and then it is all ok but sometimes its just not that easy. My dad died of skin cancer 2 years ago and it was a rough way to go. It was long and hard for him.

I think people just A) think it can never happen to them ro B) dont realize how serious it can be.
  10. Speaking of this, I went to the dermatologist two days ago and she was a little nervous about a mole on my leg. It's actually been there about 4 years (showed up after a sunburn). She said that she really didn't "like it" but wants me to come back in 6 months to check on it. Should I get a second opinion? I feel like if it really is something, then 6 months is too long to wait. Everyone is telling me that I am just overreacting because I am constantly stressing about moles (I am very very fair skinned). Second opinion or wait until November?:shrugs:
  11. The two moles that I had removed weren't cancerous, but the doctor did a 'preemptive strike' by removing them.
    They did biopsies on them and both times, the results were negative.

If the mole really bothers you that much, have a doctor remove it and they can do a biopsy for you.
  12. You're right...and I know that I don't. I hardly ever :shame: If I know that I'm going to be at the beach or at the pool, I'll put some on but I probably don't put on enough or put it on properly.

Want to know the reason why I don't wear it? Because I think that I won't get a tan if I slap on some SPF 50 :rolleyes:

Am I shallow or what?

I lived in the Mojave Desert as a kid and we were at the pool EVERY DAY from mid spring to mid fall since it was so stinking hot there. My mom always put sunscreen on me, but I guess once I got old enough to do it myself, I never did. :shrugs: