Prenatal Screening Question

1. Just a question for all of you that have gone through this.
    At 38, I "qualify" for all the prenatal screening I want to have.
    I have had the blood screening and the NT measurement ultrasound.
    Both tests have come back with very good results according to my doctor. :tup:

I don't have an OB yet my doctor is a GP - where I live we don't get OBs until 6-7 months when you are healthy. :tdown:

So, do people still have an amniocentisis after these 2 tests come out OK? :confused1:
  2. The blood test and NT measurement...was that the Sequential Screening? because if those came out fine, I wouldn't go any further. It is 90% accurate, I believe. I just had them done. I still have to get my 2nd blood test done soon though.

How far along are you? When are you due? I really would try not to get an amnio done since there is the slightest chance that it can give you a miscarriage. I'd be happy and satisfied with the sequential screening, since it is the latest and greatest in detecting any birth issues.
  3. I wouldn't go further either:nogood:
  4. I had an amnio and I'm glad I did. Then I KNEW FOR SURE about some things that I wanted to know, but I did a LOT of research. Like, you can find out how many a doctor has performed (or that clinic) and what their risk factor's were. I think as a whole they say that an amnio is 99% risk free, with 1% complication/pregnancy loss, but, that's for EVERYONE.

The clinic I went to specializes in amnios and they're published (and you know they are covering their butts too) is that the true risk with their practice is 1/1000 of pregnancy loss or even LOWER. I found one article that said that some people/doctors aren't very skilled or experienced and their complication rates are signficantly higher and then those that are very low in complications. It seems, according to this research, it's not so much the procedure that's risky in itself, but in who DOES the procedure - which makes sense.

Also, we looked at the risk factors - at age 26 (my age with #1) the risk of the amnio was greater than the risk of having something the amnio could detect. At age 35 (my age for #2), the risk of amnio was lower than my risk of having something and so on.

And, there's the question that's most important. What do you plan to do with the information you have with the amnio? Would it alter the pregnancy outcome? For us it would have. For others it wouldn't have mattered... if that's the case, then why risk it?
  5. My screening test came back abnormal for spina bonifida it was 1:58, I had a level 2 ultrasound and everything looked okay. They offered me the amnio, and after some hard thinking I turned it down. I didn't want to put my baby and I through anymore testing. Though my test didn't come out okay, I declined anyway.

Good luck with your decision & congratulations!:flowers:
  6. I think our version (Canadian) of SS is called first Trimester Combined Screening. It has the early blood test and a later one at 16 weeks. There is also First trimester Screening which is the early blood test and the ultrasound with the NT measurement.
    I am 15 weeks now, so if I decide on the amnio I have to do it soon.
    But, I don't want to if I don't have to.
  7. I am leaning towards that. Except that I am a bit of a control freak, so deciding not to test is hard for me.:confused1:
  8. I can hardly write this without feeling horrible, but yes, it would alter the outcome. Otherwise I would'nt give testing a second thought.
  9. Well, there's no reason to feel horrible about that. We each have to raise our own families and we all know what our limits and comfort level is.

For me (and for my DH) there were certain birth defects that would have meant we would have terminated the pregnancy. We felt it would be unfair for the child, unfair to us the parents, a burden to society to have to pay for a child with extreme special needs, and a burden to our older child for several reasons to.

For my best friend, she wanted to know not because she would terminate the pregnancy (she would never do that) but because there are SOME things you can try to fix in utero or can do to lessen the damage (spina bifida) and also just to EMOTIONALLY prepare for a special needs child.

I think if I were in your shoes, I would just do more research to pros and cons, but for amnio, you are running out of time... a late term abortion is riskier for you and a much harder decision to make. That's the one downside to amnio for SURE.
  10. Personally, I wouldn't go any further if the initial tests came back good, but that is me. I was 35 when pregnant with my youngest son, and just turned 36 five days before he was born. So, I was just on the line for AMA (advanced maternal age-LOL).

At that point, my doctor had told me that my chances were higher of having a miscarriage from the amnio than having a child with a birth defect. he also said that if I skipped the amnio, that he would send me for a more extensive ultrasound at the midway point and another one a little later on. I also knew in my heart that I would not have an abortion no matter what an amnio found, so, hubby and I chose to skip it. Again, all my tests until then had come back perfectly fine and there was nothing in our history to think we would have issues (hubby and I have an older son and hubby has a daughter from a previous marriage).

Very personal decision-but, I would do the same again.
  11. I had my first child at 33 with no complications and got pregnant again at 34 with baby's due date after 35. I figured that everything would go smoothly with 2nd child since I had no complications with the first and it was a mere 11 months between first birth and 2nd conception. I went into everything feeling confident and secure and not planning on having an amniocentesis. Therefore, it was a huge blow when my initial screening test came back with a 1 in 53 chance for Down's Syndrome. I immediately went into a tailspin. The stress of it all landed me in the ER with highblood pressure. I opted to take the amnio for my peace of mind. The amnio itself wasn't bad at all, and in fact new studies have just come out saying that the risk of miscarriage isn't as great as previously reported (I forget what the new ratios are). For me, the hard part was waiting for the results. It was the longest and most agonizing two weeks of my life. When my results came back and we learned that baby was okay I was able to enjoy the rest of my pregnancy to its fullest.

All that being said, it really depends on the type of personality you have. Me, I am type A, total stress case, minor hypochondriac. I really needed to know that everything was okay with baby. I have no regrets about the amnio, and if I had to do it all again I would skip the initial Triple Marker Screening (too many false positives, unreliable test) and go straight for the Amnio. This is just me, however.

I wish you the best of luck with your pregnancy!!!
  12. Okay, so they pretty much are the same thing.

THe SS or Trmester combined's pretty new, came out last year. My Dr. said it's more definative than any other tests done for Downs Syndrome, Trisomy 18, and whatever else it's testing for. 90% accuracy...i'd be content with the results from the TCS if I were you! Good luck with your decision!
  13. You know.... even when they do an amnio, they aren't looking for everything - they can't. They look to see if everything is there (all the chromosomes) and that they are "right". Then they test for a few other things, but I see over and over again with these rare disorders, "Not routinely screened for" and of course, there are things you CAN'T screen for like Autism... So even with an amnio, there is still a chance something MAJOR is there that just wasn't detected.

Now, if you have a family history of something, say like, I don't know, um, Cystic Fibrosis, you can ask for that to be screened for, but when I was going about 3 years ago exactly, it was still not a regular thing to check (but was an option) and that's just one of MANY things that CAN be looked for, but aren't routinely.
  14. Thanks for the input everyone!! :heart:
  15. Are you getting another ultrasound? If so & it looks fine I definitely wouldnt do any further testing. If not I still probably wouldnt do it since your other tests were fine. My blood work came back fine but when I got my ultrasound there were some soft markers & the Dr. mentioned down Syndrome. I cried so much & could not get DS out of my head. No one recommended an amnio but I got one for my piece of mind. If there was something wrong with my child I needed to know. I didnt want any surprises at birth & needed to be able to decide what I would do if an illness was present.