Prayers for Mathilda

madamefifi

cat hoarder
O.G.
Aug 23, 2006
MY darling kitty Mathilda has been very ill and is in the hospital with congestive heart failure related to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. It has been a horrible past few days which I just don't have the energy to describe. I am bringing her home tomorrow. She is stable and responding to medication but who knows how much longer she has? It could be three months, it could be three days, it could be a year. Please pray for her!! All I can ask is that her remaining time is peaceful and that when it is her time to go she goes quickly and without suffering.

I would like to express my profound gratitude for veterinarians everywhere and especially to Drs C. and L. whose quick actions saved Mathilda's life. If you are reading this and you are a vet, God bless you.

Sending prayers and positive thoughts to you and your little kitty. The only thing she needs is absolute love, which I am sure you already know. Love goes a long way, and obviously you are giving her plenty of it. I am so sorry you are going through such a tough time, going to vet for your little pet is definitely scary at times. I will keep you two in my thoughts and prayers.:heart:

I am so sorry to read your post. Many years ago I was very much into Ragdoll cats and purchased three (all brothers) from a litter. I lost all of them to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy at 10 months, 1 year, and 7 years.

The first two died within hours; the third fell off the nightstand during playtime with one of my other cats and died suddenly/quickly. I had prepared myself for his death due to his brothers' passing, but the first two really ripped my own heart out.

The thing about this disease is it is hard to detect unless the animal shows symptoms. It doesn't always show up in a test, unless the heart is in distress on the day of the test. It is also almost always genetic in nature.

My first kitten threw a blood clot to his hind legs which paralyzed him; in addition his breathing was very labored due to fluid around the heart and lungs. The second one showed signs of labored breathing but no clotting. The third, who fell off the nightstand, suffered a major stroke.

I took comfort in knowing that they were all loved and cared for every single day of their lives. If only all living creatures could have that luxury.

Prayers to you and Mathilda.

I am so sorry to read your post. Many years ago I was very much into Ragdoll cats and purchased three (all brothers) from a litter. I lost all of them to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy at 10 months, 1 year, and 7 years.
Oh dear....two of my other cats (Laszlo and Dolores) are Mathilda's brother and sister. They are 5 years old. I hope I don't have to go through this with them, as well.

Sending many prayers and healing thoughts to Mathilda. I hope you have many more wonderful years with her. I lost a Ragdoll to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy at 6 years old. He just had a heart attack and died. It was quick and he didn't suffer. He had never shown any signs of heart trouble before. When I called the breeder to let her know ( the vet had said it was genetic) she told me it was probably the food I was feeding him. :mad: She just didn't want to pull his dad (who was a champion show cat) out of her breeding program. If she would have told me this problem was common in Ragdolls I could have watched for it.

Thank you for the sweet post!! I am thinking of you and Mathilda. Postive thoughts!! I know how hard it is. My little smokey was so young and was the love of my life (besides my husband, golden Cooper, and other kitty MacKenzie) It is so painful so I hope it turns out well for you.

Sending many prayers and healing thoughts to Mathilda. I hope you have many more wonderful years with her. I lost a Ragdoll to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy at 6 years old. He just had a heart attack and died. It was quick and he didn't suffer. He had never shown any signs of heart trouble before. When I called the breeder to let her know ( the vet had said it was genetic) she told me it was probably the food I was feeding him. :mad: She just didn't want to pull his dad (who was a champion show cat) out of her breeding program. If she would have told me this problem was common in Ragdolls I could have watched for it.

Ugh, yes, they blame it on the food! I lost 3 Ragdolls as per my post above and the breeders cover their eyes and look the other way. They were also the product of a champion show cat. I actually spoke to a couple Ragdoll breeders who were kind enough to tell me it is genetic and they too had cats that died suddenly while in their homes. They were trying to do as much cross-breeding as possible to breed out the defect. The breeder of my cats refunded my money for the two young cats, but she also made it clear she didn't want to hear from me again after that. She was in New Jersey and I don't know if she's still breeding Ragdolls as this was in the late 80's/early 90's. She even went as far to try and take the oldest cat out of my home and I flat-out refused to give him back. I knew he was going to die but I wanted him to be in his own comfortable house, with me and his other kitty friends who loved him lots.