Prada Bags: Now Made in China for Italian Made Prices."

The concept, let alone the reality, of Pradas being made in China is so disappointing! Who would ever have thought this would happen? I guess greed is universal! This doesn't put me off the Prada brand but it sure is going to make me more cautious before I make a purchase.:thinking:

Hi- just came across this thread & am seriously re-thinking any future Prada purchases. After searching frantically for a MADE IN ITALY tag on a tote recently purchased at a US Prada boutique, I could not find ANY black tag. Like others here, I did find TWO white tags, with the black # 7,8 (on 1 tag) & #165 (2nd tag) sewn on the inside pocket. I am MERELY guessing at this point, but since this bag has no MADE IN ITALY tag, my guess is that it was assembled at 3 different sites, hence the three # attached 7,8, 165.

I am curious to know where my bag is made in, since I did pay full price for the BL0792 GLACE Calf tote. Has anyone here found more than one white tag attached to their lining, with no MADE IN ITALY tag? Tks.

I Just found out that some Prada bags are made in China! I went to the outlet in NYC about one month ago and bought a Prada leather bag for my mom. After reading about this thread I checked the made in tag, and it said made in China! I am not sure if they only sell their made in China bags in the outlet or they also sell in the their boutique store. I learned from this bad experience that i will check every time I purchase form now on. I feel very upset now and if I can I would definitely return it. I didn't want to find out that I paid $1500 for that.

Just ordered a pair of shoes from Saks that were Nade in China for $460. I don't really care where they are made in as long as it looks good and feels comfortable - but these shoes just felt so cheap in comparison with a pair of Miu Miu I just bought or with Prada/Granello shoes from ages ago. Disappointing.

Oh my goodness!! Is Prada the only designer brand that is manufacturing elsewhere? Or other designer brands are doing the same thing as well. This is quite disturbing even though the bag might have the same qualities... I just prefer my bag to be made in Europe at the very least...

Thanks for this thread. This is my first Prada, got it 4 months ago at Prada store at Changi Airport Singapore.. i actully wanted an LV Alexandra but got this instead when I was about to leave Singapore so this was a bit of an impulse purchase but I love it anyway :loveeyes: I've been wondering where to find the "Made in..." tag and I just found it! :shame: And it says Made in Italy! :yahoo: just one thing, I can't find the white tag with numbers on it yet though.. All bags have it?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 1,741
Lawseenai said:
Oh my goodness!! Is Prada the only designer brand that is manufacturing elsewhere? Or other designer brands are doing the same thing as well. This is quite disturbing even though the bag might have the same qualities... I just prefer my bag to be made in Europe at the very least...

Prada is not the only one doing this. Burberry is as well. From what I've seen, the nova check and hay market check bags (pretty much anything that is coated PVC) is "imported". This is just a sneaky way of saying made outside of western Europe. Somebody would have to correct me on this but I think that there are some Celine bags out there that are still made in china as well(that may have stopped now). Unfortunately, this is the route that most designers might follow as greed becomes more important than quality or maintaining a true sense of luxury. Because of this, I always check the tag before I buy any designer item, including rtw and accessories.

To be honest, it doesn't matter where the bag is made, because even though it is made in England, it's still made by Chinese people. I believe Purseblog or someone posted up pictures taken at an exhibition where they showed a person making a Birkin or Kelly bag right in front of everyone. That person who was making the bags was Chinese, so it's not like just because your bag is made in Italy, it's made by actual Italians.

I feel that if it's made in Italy, they probably have more reason to skimp on the quality assurance side of things just because the hourly wages are much higher than things made in China, and when charging the same prices, they need to keep the hourly wages lows to make the biggest profit.

That being said, I still like my Prada bags made in Italy, just because they "feel" more authentic, haha. It's weird and I'm totally contradicting myself but that's the truth =P

Thanks for this thread. This is my first Prada, got it 4 months ago at Prada store at Changi Airport Singapore.. i actully wanted an LV Alexandra but got this instead when I was about to leave Singapore so this was a bit of an impulse purchase but I love it anyway :loveeyes: I've been wondering where to find the "Made in..." tag and I just found it! :shame: And it says Made in Italy! :yahoo: just one thing, I can't find the white tag with numbers on it yet though.. All bags have it?

edit: i found the made in tag- mine is made in china. but i'm ok with that. let me know if you find the white tag!

Last edited:
pinkrose398 said:
To be honest, it doesn't matter where the bag is made, because even though it is made in England, it's still made by Chinese people. I believe Purseblog or someone posted up pictures taken at an exhibition where they showed a person making a Birkin or Kelly bag right in front of everyone. That person who was making the bags was Chinese, so it's not like just because your bag is made in Italy, it's made by actual Italians.

I feel that if it's made in Italy, they probably have more reason to skimp on the quality assurance side of things just because the hourly wages are much higher than things made in China, and when charging the same prices, they need to keep the hourly wages lows to make the biggest profit.

That being said, I still like my Prada bags made in Italy, just because they "feel" more authentic, haha. It's weird and I'm totally contradicting myself but that's the truth =P

I understand your logic but similar to you, my heart prefers Italy...