Potty Training Book Suggestions?

1. I saw Potty Training in a Day, but I don't think that is going to match my philosophy. I just want to start easing my son into the idea, without overwhelming or scaring him. He'll be two in three weeks and with another one on the way, I would like to have him close to Potty trained by August when the baby is due.

2. I am not sure, my daughter is 3 and has no interest...actually, she has 2 older brothers and she told me that she will go on the potty when she grows her weiner (yes, she really said that...I have no idea where she even heard the word weiner). My second was 10 months old when I found out that I was preggo with my daughter, so I know all about having 2 in diapers!

I am getting frustrated here because I know for a fact that my daughter is not going to be growing a weiner, and I really want to stop buying diapers and pull ups! So if you find something that works, please share!
  3. Now really, are you SURE your daughter will not grow a weiner?:roflmfao: That is seriously so cute!

Actually my best did say that she was going to look for the book that worked for her today so if she finds it, I'll let you know what it is. I'd still like other suggestions though.

From what I have heard, what works well for one person, totally doesn't for another so I feel like I want an arsenal of ideas now.
  4. I don't have any kids, but I do work with LOTS of potty training children at a pre-school. One child who I never thought was ever going to get the hang of it, came back after the Christmas holidays and had it down to perfection. I asked the Mum why, and it's because she switched her regular potty to this amazing techno potty. Everytime she sits down now to do her business it lights up and plays a song and now she's always asking to go. No accidents since.
  5. from my experiences, you can't really rush them until they are ready. my first was trained by 2. my second was just trained at 3 and a half. with my second, i just stopped putting diapers on him, no pull ups either. i bought him some cute underwear and told him he's a big boy now so no more diapers. he did soil himself a couple of times and of course he didn't like that. he just started going on his own.
  6. I am also curious to know your strategies on how to potty train and if there are any "training books or dvds" out there.

I have a 2yr old and another baby on the way.. of course, I want my 2yr old to be potty trained, as much as possible, before baby #2 arrives. But I am not really rushing my 2yr old.. I do ask her to go to her potty if she feels like she is going to pee-pee or poo-poo.. sometimes she does, most of the time she doesn't.

Like Savannah mentioned above, you can't really rush them until they are ready.. just like weaning them from using their bottle (JMO).
  7. 1. Elmo's Potty Time DVD :tup:...

2. Buying a small potty to place next to the adult toilet.

Other than that, let the child show interest and take the lead. My son (turned 2 in Nov) started using the potty two weeks ago. All we did was play the video (which he found in our cabinet and requested to watch it CONTINOUSLY each day), and finally he just went...:shrugs:

We also would like him trained before #2 comes in April, but I'm not expecting it to happen. He used the toilet 3 times in that week (made it onto the toilet once and on the floor twice) and not once for a week and a half now. We're not pressuring him, but it's there when he wants to use it and is ready.

I don't think there is any other way, but I don't know... whatever, I stopped worrying about it LOL.
  8. My DD LOVED her Potty Power DVD; she was fully trained by 2 1/2. I also bought underwear for her, and if we were at home, they went on. Many "accidents" but I think it really helped her to understand the sensations before she had to go, (and it didn't deter her from wanting to wear "big girl underwear").

Good luck!
  9. my 2 year old had shown interest in the potty. we read about it, talked about it, etc. then the new baby came and for six months she 'regressed' - wanting to be carried, relishing her diapers, refusing to potty, crawling, drinking only milk and eating little food, wanting to pretend she was breast feeding - the list goes on and on. i didn't think she would ever use the potty.

then one day, out of the blue she said she wanted to pee in the potty and it was like something just went click in her brain. she is still not 100% but pretty darn close... she is 2 1/2

so i guess what i am trying to say is talk about it, encourage it but everybody just gets it in their own time and with a new baby delays will happen... also we tried 2 models of potty before we found one she took to. she prefers the one that fits on the regular toilet over the stand alone.
  10. I have a 2 yr old little boy (he turned 2 in October). He shows NO interest in it at all. We have the Elmo DVD, some random potty training one from Costco, and a few potty books like "Too Big for Diapers" featuring Ernie from Sesame Street. After all that, what finally kickstarted it for us is watching the Jon and Kate Plue 8 potty training episode. It got my little guy interested and she actually has some good tips. She made it a habit- the kids sit on the toilet after each meal, then they get accustomed to it. When they pee in the potty, the kid receives one M&M as a reward. They receive 2 for poo. Once they were successful, the kids continue because they want more M&M's.
  11. Definitely put your child in big girl underwear instead of in diapers/pull-ups. Make the underwear a REALLY big deal and let them pick it out. Show them how it is like Mommy's/Daddy's/Sister's/Brother's. Go with them to sit on the potty every 30 minutes to an hour initially until they seem to be getting the hang of it. Then, still make sure that they are trying to go every couple of hours. A lot of accidents stem from not wanting to stop something fun that they are doing to have to go and sit on the potty. Give A LOT of praise or come up with a reward system for them. Many kids hate to poop in the potty, so be especially excited if they poop. You will have a lot of accidents, so be prepared! I would still put a pull-up on them during naptime/bed time until they are potty trained. Then, gradually ween them off of that when they seem like they will be able to make it through the night. I have never heard of the "techno" potty, but it sounds awesome! If you can't get your hands on one of those, I would definitely get a small potty to potty train on. I don't have kids, but work with three year olds in a preschool setting, we do some potty training, but the majority of the children we see are potty trained by the time they are 3. If you are still having trouble I would talk to your pediatrician about it. Good luck!