Polish Man Wakes Up From 19 Year Coma.

1. I thought this was pretty interesting. Wouldn't that be so crazy to wake up after 19 years???

Pole wakes from 19-year coma in democratic country

WARSAW (Reuters) - A 65-year-old railwayman who fell into a coma following an accident in communist Poland regained consciousness 19 years later to find democracy and a market economy, Polish media reported on Saturday.

Wheelchair-bound Jan Grzebski, whom doctors had given only two or three years to live following his 1988 accident, credited his caring wife Gertruda with his revival.

"It was Gertruda that saved me, and I'll never forget it," Grzebski told news channel TVN24.

"For 19 years Mrs Grzebska did the job of an experienced intensive care team, changing her comatose husband's position every hour to prevent bed-sore infections," Super Express reported Dr Boguslaw Poniatowski as saying.

"When I went into a coma there was only tea and vinegar in the shops, meat was rationed and huge petrol queues were everywhere," Grzebski told TVN24, describing his recollections of the communist system's economic collapse.

"Now I see people on the streets with cell phones and there are so many goods in the shops it makes my head spin."

Grzebski awoke to find his four children had all married and produced 11 grandchildren during his years in hospital.

He said he vaguely recalled the family gatherings he was taken to while in a coma and his wife and children trying to communicate with him.
  2. very interesting read - it must be so weird to wake up after 19 years asleep, so shocking!
  3. wow- he vaguely remembered family gatherings while he was comatose? That is so awesome- the world is so different than when he went into the coma- it would be overwhelming I bet!!!!
  4. Think about it. I mean, the Wall in Berlin was still up - wasn't Reagan still in office? My God - it was a different WORLD! Computers really weren't even all that popular - the cost of living, the "smalling-down" of the planet - it's so easy to communicate with anyone anywhere now...and most of all, the change in the precarious terrorist stuff. Granted, overseas it's probably a little different than here in America.....but to see how all your kids grew up and had kids? It's so mind-boggling - it's just almost too much to comprehend...I mean, it's not like a year. It's almost 2 decades!!!!!
  5. what an incredible story. That wife is DEVOTED, how fantastic for her that her efforts paid off and her husband woke up. Wow!
  6. Wow!!! I couldn't even imagine that. It would completely blow my mind to think of how much the world had changed and I wasn't even aware of anything. What a scary thought...
  7. That is absolutely incredible! I can't even imagine what that man is going through right now. What a different world it is than it was 19 years ago. How great for his family.
  8. Wow I cannot imagine this!
  9. Wow. Imagine all of the catching up he has to do. ;) Really, it must be such a strange feeling.
  10. That would just freak me out! But that is such a miracle
  11. Was he in the hospital the whole time or at home??? I wonder how much it cost to keep him alive for that long. If I am in a coma...I never want them to pull the plug on me...I hope I am taken care of like this wife did for her husband...I feel I would do the same for mine!!!