pls educate me - help needed

1. I have recently become the very proud owner of my first Birkin - black clemence GH 35cm. This bag is perfect for me as I work in finance and travel on business.

Yes, you all warned me and I kinda half believed it before the Birkin. Once you start, you can't stop. Alas, onto my next order...

I know I want blue jean with gold hardware. This is for sure. I thought I would definitely order another Birkin, but having tried a white 35cm Kelly in Madrid, I think this will be my bag of choice.

Here comes the bit where I need to be educated by you pros. I know the Kelly comes with inner or outer stitching. What is the lingo for them? Is sellier referring to this? If not, what does it mean? And which stitching would you recommend?

Wait! I have more questions, pls bear with me!!! I want a style that I can use both casually and for work. Which leather would you recommend? And am I doing the right thing by ordering a Kelly rather than another Birkin?

So sorry if you're feeling a bit dizzy with all the questions, but who else can I ask all these details that really matter other than the experts here? Many many thanks in advance. I promise to cherish the wisdom you share and pass it onto only those worthy of it! Thanks!

2. hi! welcome ebruo!
    inner stitiching: retourn. and you are right, sellier is the outer stitching.

both casual and work leather..something durable? togo, clemence, chevre, fjord.
    kelly with inner stitching works really well with both casual and more formal occasions. I think ordering a kelly is a great idea. (but a bj birkin w/ ghw is just yummy). either bag will be fabulous!!

3. Here comes the bit where I need to be educated by you pros. I know the Kelly comes with inner or outer stitching. What is the lingo for them? Is sellier referring to this? If not, what does it mean? And which stitching would you recommend?

Sellier - refers to outside stitch and is also refered as rigide. It gives the bag a very defined shape and structure. Looks very sharp. Usage wise, it has slightly less space inside the bag. It is also a little more expensive than a retourne as it is harder to make.

Retourne - refers to inside stitch. It is less defined in shape and looks softer and more casual.

Recommendations for stitching would depend on your usage, what do you want to put inside? If you want casual use, then maybe outside stitch would serve, but there are really no hard and fast rules on this.

Wait! I have more questions, pls bear with me!!! I want a style that I can use both casually and for work. Which leather would you recommend?

The usual leathers would serve very well, togo, clemence (although you already have one already so get something else!) cherve, epsom, VL. Even exotics would be nice, ostrich is great too. Do check out the reference section, leather book by HG, I learned so much there.

And am I doing the right thing by ordering a Kelly rather than another Birkin?

There is no right answer for this question! You will know it when you see it, when your heart goes ding ding ding!

4. This is my kelly, it is a 32cm sellier cherve coromandel. :yes:

kellyls.jpg
  5. Lyanna, she's a beauty!

Thank you both of you, Fesdu and Lyanna Stark for taking the time to give such informative responses. Sorry I haven't highlighted your names in bold, I'm typing this on my blackberry, which doesn't allow me to make my entries very pretty and proper.

6. hi ebruno, welcome and you are smart to get info before plunging into your next purchase!
    i vote for retourne for you, it is softer and more pliable and it has a more casual feel that with a sellier (rigid) kelly you will certainly feel dressier with the sellier. sellier stands up straight like somebody with excellent posture, you may feel it is too prim for casual use...but this is not the way everyone feels, try it for yourself if you can first before you buy.

my advice to you is that if you have the chance to buy another birkin, it would be wise to do so when you can because they are very difficult to be offered in the store, esp. in your desired color/specs. you are almost sure to see a kelly on the shelf any day of the week in many H stores (although white is harder to find)...but in the end it is what you want. if you do not want another birkin, then do not purchase it but if you think you do then maybe take the chance while you have it. good luck!

7. ^ totally confused now, should I order the BJ Birkin? Thanks for the help. Can I videoconference the whole forum when I'm ordering pls?

8. I agree with HC on this, ebruno!

Retourne has always been my construction of choice for a casual, work-day Kelly. For example, I have a beautiful vintage Sellier 28cm which I adore but I use less than the retourne. It definately has a more "formal" look. So, I too, would recommend Retourne for your Kelly!

9. LOL!!!!!

I think if you want gold hardware on your BJ Birkin, you may need to SO it. In the meantime and while you're waiting for it to be accepted and come in, you might was to consider a retourne Kelly!!!! :yes:

10. If you go for the white kelly, I would recommend epsom leather!! It is very durable!

11. Minnie, btw, I luv your in action pics!

12. ebruo, i have a 28 white clemence retourne kelly, and i use it EVERYDAY! i love white, it's so clean, fresh, casual, and young. goes with practically everything. clemence is such a soft, beautiful leather too. i prefer clemence for everday use b/c my sellier is more formal looking and the corners are sharp. harder to open and close and get stuff out too. not as user friendly as my retourne.

here's a pic of my white retourne and black sellier.

i, too, long for a bj birkin. yeah, gold hardware is MUCH harder to find. i think if you are using your birkin and love it, why not get bj. kellies are much easier to find on shelves. i only have experience carrying a kelly, and i find the shoulder strap very useful when i have to deal with my toddler or the bag gets too heavy or just when i need to be hands-free.

good luck!

White Kelly in Action.jpg White Kelly.jpg White:Black Kellies.jpg
  13. Kim_mac, I love your Kelly bags. Esp. the white one. Effortlessly chic and you carry it really well. I see that you like GH like I do. Maybe I should order a BJ Birkin and white Kelly (not sure how practical it would be in London but would surely get noticed!) I thought I would be done with one black Birkin, but here I am already contemplating another 3 H bags barely a month after getting the first one (fourth one will be a picotin MM - etoupe/orange/white...who knows...)

14. definitely, go for the bj birkin....you will love it!