Plethora of "prestige"???!!!

i agree with H_addict.. Overexposure loses its appeal.. But on another note u have many who share ur LVoe.. In my country i see most carrying Mono or damier in town. So i just carry my MC or Epi..

I really don't pay much attention as to whether or not "everyone and their dog" own LV. The most I can say about it is "Hey, they have good taste like I do!!! :amuse:"

Not trying to be rude here, but if it really gets to you about how many people carry LV now-a-days, perhaps buy different designer bags? :shrugs:

I could care less what other people say or think about me or my bags. I love AUTHENTIC LV and that will never change. Just because someone else is fortunate enough to carry an LV bag, that means you don't want to anymore???

I understand what you're saying - perhaps LV isn't overall the prestigious brand it used to be, simply because a $600 bag is more accessible to more people than ever before. If you want more exclusivity, then you'll have to buy something like the Suhali (did you see any of these at the mall?) or some of the limited edition bags...otherwise, I'm sure the ladies over at the Hermes forum would love to enable you for a Birkin or Kelly :P

One of the reasons I used to not like the Speedy is because it was the most commonly seen LV bag. But now, I don't give a damn, I love seeing other girls/women rocking their Speedies like me!

I think it's about global marketing. LV probably has to have a presence in many cities and in many countries in order to compete. I know you're talking about your own mall, but the marketing exposure opens the brand up to a lot of people.

it's not about what you're carrying, its HOW you carry it.

K... not sure why everyone is bashin... my point has nothing to do with fake/not fake. I know the difference, and was not inferring that the handbags I saw were all fake. What my point was, was that LV just seems like it's EVERYWHERE now. What ever happened to the prestige of owning one? People used to get dolled up and take their handbags out for special occasions, and now they're being thrown around in high schools and bus terminals. LV is iconic and it's just frustrating for me to think that I pay good money to carry a handbag, only to see a gazillion other people carrying the exact same thing! Yes, I love LV... for the quality among other things, so don't freak out on me... :wtf: But what ever happened to LV being mainly for the elite? Isn't that supposed to be part of the appeal? :confused1:

just how "elite" are you exactly? did it ever occur to you that those people you are bemoaning are in the same league as you? a $600 LV bag is merely entry-level, of course you'd see it everywhere.

You Mean Lot's Of Mono Real And Fake Im Sure 7 Out Of 10 Ppl You See Around Have A Fake I Saw Tons When I Whent To The Movies Especially That Weird Looking Backpack Thingy, And Yeah You Don't Have To Stop Liking Lv Because You See Several Mono Bags Real Or Fake To Me It Make's It More Special Since Everyone Want's To Have One, I Would Say Atay Away From The Mono And Buy Le Only?

What ever happened to the prestige of owning one? People used to get dolled up and take their handbags out for special occasions, and now they're being thrown around in high schools and bus terminals. LV is iconic and it's just frustrating for me to think that I pay good money to carry a handbag, only to see a gazillion other people carrying the exact same thing! Yes, I love LV... for the quality among other things, so don't freak out on me... :wtf: But what ever happened to LV being mainly for the elite? Isn't that supposed to be part of the appeal? :confused1:

Wow. I understand your frustration (to a point), but you must remember that the world has changed quite a bit from the times you are thinking about. Our lives are busier and, at the same time, more casual. Luxury is no longer reserved only for special occasions, it is a daily indulgence. It has obviously been the goal of the Louis Vuitton brand to be thought of as luxurious, classy and exclusive. No wonder everyone wants a piece of it for his or her daily life. What made you an LV fan? Now the wide price range has made it possible for more people than ever before to own their own LV. It is hardly a brand that can be thought of as exclusive anymore and that shouldn't deter you if you love the brand for its quality and aesthetic. But, you will never be satisfied when you depend on a material thing to give you a sense of self worth, or if you think the amount of money you spend on a purse (or wallet, or sunglasses) will make you better than someone else on this earth.

My advice to you is this: Own and enjoy the things you have because you love to use them. Use them in good health. Do not count on your ability to spend $600+ on a handbag to make you part of an "elite" class, as money can only buy so much. It can't buy happiness, it can't buy good health, it can't buy peace and it certainly can't buy class. :nogood:

Original poster, I recommed you read that new book "Deluxe: How Luxury Lost its Lustre".
Truth is, LV is not only overexposed, but also no longer as exclusive as it used to be.
If that bothers you, switch brands. A lot of people have done so (in the past), and are more happy with their Goyards, Chanels, Bottegas and Hermes.

just how "elite" are you exactly? did it ever occur to you that those people you are bemoaning are in the same league as you? a $600 LV bag is merely entry-level, of course you'd see it everywhere.

well said, but i do see the point of the original poster...now a days you do see soo many people carrying lv's, but its not because the prestige is dying down its that the counterfeits are more popular than ever. i read and article in harpers bazaar i believe that said something like theres only like 5% authentic lv on the streets, the rest are not authentic.

lv has become so coveted that everyone is getting their hands on "it"...but "it" is most of the time, not authentic