Please pray for my cat

1. I am still in shock!

Last weekend, my husband and I noticed a large swollen area on our cat's face. His upper cheek was so swollen that he couldn't even open his eye. After examining him, the vet determined that he had an infected tooth that needed to be extracted. No big deal or so we thought. He's only 5 years old and in good health. In fact, he just has his annual exam last month.

I dropped our little Mocha off today for his surgery and received a call from the vet's office an hour or so later saying that his EKG was abnormal and the vet wanted to do an x-ray of his heart before proceeding with the surgery. They called back shortly thereafter saying that the x-ray was normal and that they felt that there was no reason not to proceed with the surgery.

Two hours later the vet's office called back saying that Mocha had gone into cardiac arrest during the surgery! The vet resussitated him, but his condition is still very grave. He is still on oxygen and has been transferred to an emergency veterinary hospital for 24 hour care. Since this happened on Friday, we won't be able to run tests until next week to find out exactly what is going on. It looks like he had an undiagnosed heart condition and he just couldn't handle the anesthesia.

I am so broken-hearted and beside myself with worry. I haven't spoken with anyone at the vet. hospital so I don't even know how he is doing. I just can't believe that he go so sick so fast.:sad:

2. I'm so sorry to hear this. I hope Mocha will recover quickly!

3. I am so sorry you are going through this. You and your fur baby are in my thoughts.

4. Hopefully he'll get better! I'll keep him in my thoughts.

5. Did you get to talk to your vet or even visit Mocha? I hope he will recover from this...

6. Kisses for Mocha from Mr. Z.
    I hope you kitty wakes up bright eyed and bushy tailed and hopes his toothache is cleared up.

7. Hugs and good thoughts going your way Hautemom. What a shock and trauma. It sounds like he is in good hands, I hope it all turns out OK for your sweet Mocha!

8. Awww:crybaby:::hugs:: Im so sorry. I hope he recovers well!! I will keep him in my prayers.

9. My prayers are with Mocha :smile:

10. So sorry to hear about Mocha. I hope he has a full recovery.

11. Thanks so much for all your prayers and words of encouragement! I talked to the vet at the emergency hospital and was told that Mocha is stable and they are weaning him off the oxygen. As soon as he can take oral medicine (tomorrow or POSSIBLY today) he will be able to come home!:yahoo:

We will run tests next week to find out more about his heart. Apparently he has feline cardiomyopathy and his prognosis depends on which type he has. The vet feels that he is in the early stages since the heart wasn't enlarged on his pre-op x-ray. I suppose if you try to find a silver lining in all of this, the fact that this happened the way it did was a GOOD thing. With his condition, a heart attack or a blood clot was inevitable... we are just very lucky that the vet was there to perform CPR and that we were made aware of his heart condition. Hopefully we will be able to manage it with medication....

But I'm getting ahead of myself! I'm just so glad that he is OK for now!!!!:sweatdrop:

12. Oh noo.... :crybaby:I'm sorry, sending you both warm hugs and best wishes. I hope your baby will recover soon, thank god the vet was there to save him!!!

13. I will pray for the recovery of your Mocha, I hope Mocha will get out ok and be in your loving arms soon.

14. I'm so sorry you (and Mocha!) have to deal with this, but I'm glad he's doing better. And at least now you know there's a problem. Send him my love and keep us updated!

15. Oh no I'm so sorry to hear this! I've said a little prayer for your kitty cat..Hope your precious furry baby recovers and all is well. Please keep us posted!