Please hold good thoughts - I am hoping to adopt again.

He will be fine! He is so overstimulated right now, my friend's cats freak out when they are transported in a car and they just go with their mum from one home to another. If he doesn't like cars and he is a new place and with new kitties and a lot of them, he will need time - but he will be ok:smile:)))

He's here and he is not happy....he is probably terrified but I am worried - he has been a screeching spitting fiend to the rest of the family when they wandered up to the pen for a meet and greet. So - he is in a kitten pen, still in his case (door open) and I have put a blanket over the pen to hopefully calm him. Have also sprayed feliway liberally.... I wish there was a hoomin equivalent as right now I am very stressed indeed. Reassurance please!

Time for a glass of wine! Or a bottle. Administer as needed.

I am sure that the long trek across town didn't help the poor little man.

He is older and in a new situation. He will come around in a few days and you will wonder why you were so worried. I'm sure your fur kids will welcome him and make him feel safe and loved. He will be fine. I have had foster cats that hide for a week and turn into the most lovable lap cats ever. He will be fine. He will be fine...

He's here and he is not happy....he is probably terrified but I am worried - he has been a screeching spitting fiend to the rest of the family when they wandered up to the pen for a meet and greet. So - he is in a kitten pen, still in his case (door open) and I have put a blanket over the pen to hopefully calm him. Have also sprayed feliway liberally.... I wish there was a hoomin equivalent as right now I am very stressed indeed. Reassurance please!

I think he will be fine after he settles down. He has had a lot of changes in his life lately, and is horribly stressed and confused.

Peeper turns feral anytime she has to leave the house, and takes a few days to really calm down.

I am happy to hear he has finally come home.

Did I miss why his owners were giving him up? Or do you know?

Regardless he is probably a somewhat grumpy old man to begin with (I mean really at that age he has earned it) and between the extra long car ride and being in a new place with peeps wanting to check him out he has probably just had enough. I'm sure he will settle in with the pack in short order and be just as lovey as all of your other gatos!

Did I miss why his owners were giving him up? Or do you know?

Regardless he is probably a somewhat grumpy old man to begin with (I mean really at that age he has earned it) and between the extra long car ride and being in a new place with peeps wanting to check him out he has probably just had enough. I'm sure he will settle in with the pack in short order and be just as lovey as all of your other gatos!

His owner is moving overseas. I do feel bad for him, he is so scared.

How are things this morning? :hugs:

Oh I am rubbish with the multi-quote thing :smile:
I don't know. He is very stressed, even hissing and growling at me. It's a little like bringing a feral home. I am an exhausted wreck.....Figgy-Nose is a very vocal young man and every hour or so through the night, he let me know, at the top of his voice, just how unhappy he is. I was like a mum with a newborn, geting up when he cried, sitting with him - finally I hit on the idea of giving him a catnip toy and that seemed to calm him down.
The thing that concerns me most is how he is reacting to the other cats. Tommy, Maia-Annabel and Murphy are inquisitive and want to meet him but he goes insane if they get anywhere near his pen. Phillip was being silly, playing DareDevil by trying to get as close to the pen as possible then running off when Figgy yelled, everyone else is doing the 'la la la I can't seeeeeee you' act. This morning they are all ignoring him and getting on with their busy lives (eating and napping) and as far as I can tell they aren't upset by his presence - I am the one having a panic-attack!
I plan to keep him in the pen for at least a few days (I thought about moving him to the bedroom where I can separate him but have a feeling I would be torn to shreds if I tried that....). I'm worried if I take him out of the pen too soon, he will fight - he may be an old man, but he is huge and very powerfully built! It's in a quiet area of the lounge and I have half covered it with a blanket so he isn't too over stimulated. I am working from home today so can at least give him some reassurance when he needs it. Any other ideas?
I know just how frightened he must be and want to make sure I am doing all I can to help him relax and realise that actually we are a nice family for him to be part of.....

Sprinkle some 'nip around for him to roll in. Messy I know, but it seems to distract mine from potentially hazardous behavior.

It took me half of forever to figure out the multi-quote thing. What I do is click on the icon that looks like 2 sheets of paper with a green dot. When you click it it should turn red. Click as many comments as you want to quote and then hit the quote lozenge.

Well, my nails are dry enough for me to go turn in now that you have reported in :P
I sure hope the poor old fella settles down a bit. :-s

Sprinkle some 'nip around for him to roll in. Messy I know, but it seems to distract mine from potentially hazardous behavior.

It took me half of forever to figure out the multi-quote thing. What I do is click on the icon that looks like 2 sheets of paper with a green dot. When you click it it should turn red. Click as many comments as you want to quote and then hit the quote lozenge.

Well, my nails are dry enough for me to go turn in now that you have reported in :P
I sure hope the poor old fella settles down a bit. :-s

Thank you poopsie!
We're all being very quiet now.....ssshhhhh he's sleeping!

Why on earth is he up for adoption at 17?!?!

I truly think this is your calling, even if you may need to take a break from time to time. You have given a number of cats a wonderful final home and really, sometimes, that's all you can do. Your love seems to know no bounds and I am 100% positive that each of those cats has spent their last days happy as they could possibly be. Good luck with Figaro!

My family recently adopted a dog, and when we were there we saw quite a few older pets (nowhere near as old as 17, but there was a 12 year old dog). The person who worked there explained to us that the older pets that are there tend to have been owned by seniors who have passed away or who have moved into a senior home that doesn't allow pets.

@OP --- I definitely agree w/ the others when they say give it a few days. We adopted a 1 year old stray dog early this month, and it took him a full week before he adjusted. Until he did, he would jump at every single noise and he was restless (lying down, then getting up 5 seconds later. Repeat 1000000000000x). He almost gave us a heart attack though when he managed to wiggle out of his collar and made a dash for the road--- it took us 20 minutes to finally catch him (we had to corner him XD)

Glad to here he is settling in at least a little bit!! If he has been with the other owner his entire 17 years I can see how it would be an adjustment. Poor old Figgy! Entice him with tuna, catnip or whatever you can and I'm sure he will come around.