Please help: new versus preloved Neverfull GM

Oct 21, 2008
Having just got the Neverfull DE RB, I now have decided i have to have the larger GM in mono also. I'm actually not a big logo person but do think the larger bags look nice in mono because I kind of associate LV with traveling and luggage, back in the day.

But anyway, I can't decide whether to buy a preloved is very good to excellent condition versus a brand new one. The preloved has the scriptive [?] font which I love and the prettier (I think) interior. It is made in France, not the USA (I know, no quality difference) but it is also an older bag so maybe there is a quality difference in that it's better? No dustbag :sad:

OTOH, the new one would be mine, mine, mine, and also includes the pouchette.

What would you do? Thoughts?

Having just got the Neverfull DE RB, I now have decided i have to have the larger GM in mono also. I'm actually not a big logo person but do think the larger bags look nice in mono because I kind of associate LV with traveling and luggage, back in the day.

But anyway, I can't decide whether to buy a preloved is very good to excellent condition versus a brand new one. The preloved has the scriptive [?] font which I love and the prettier (I think) interior. It is made in France, not the USA (I know, no quality difference) but it is also an older bag so maybe there is a quality difference in that it's better? No dustbag :sad:

OTOH, the new one would be mine, mine, mine, and also includes the pouchette.

What would you do? Thoughts?
KoolforKatz,

I love your name by the way.

There's two things that would factor into my decison:

1) What is the price difference between the two?

2) How excellent is the condition? I think it depends on the person. On one hand, the vachetta probably already has a slight patina so you won't have to worry about the water spots.... But if it's in excellent condition but there are some stains.... It would drive me crazy!

I own one pre-loved bag: Thames in damier. I ONLY purchased it because the model had been discontinued and I wanted that model. I'm not sure I would buy Mono, because I'm picky with vachetta.

KoolforKatz,

1) What is the price difference between the two?

2) How excellent is the condition? I think it depends on the person. On one hand, the vachetta probably already has a slight patina so you won't have to worry about the water spots.... But if it's in excellent condition but there are some stains.... It would drive me crazy!

I own one pre-loved bag: Thames in damier. I ONLY purchased it because the model had been discontinued and I wanted that model. I'm not sure I would buy Mono, because I'm picky with vachetta.

The price difference is only a few hundred dollars! But that's not counting taxes if I bought new. On the other hand, the bag is in Japan and I've no idea whether I'll get dinged by customs or not and if so how much. It could be a wash in the end. I don't know.

The bag looks to be in excellent condition. A very light pretty patina, absolutely no stains or I wouldn't buy it.

So basically I have to ask myself whether it's worth paying a few hundred dollars less for a preloved bag - basically because I love the older style font on the lining. And maybe the bag will be better quality ?

KoolforKatz,

The bag I got pre loved was from Japan, it was beautiful quality. Although I factored in the taxes... It was as expensive as a new one, but a new one could not be purchased. So I went with it.

On a Neverfull GM, I would probably consider it if I saved between 400$ +... But I'm not sure with taxes and such factored in, this is what you are looking for.

So my answer to your question is: No.

I would go to the store and buy a new one. As for lining? I don't know... No one sees it. Almost I consequential to me. Then you can be in complete control of the patina process, and care and storage of your bag.

KoolforKatz,

The bag I got pre loved was from Japan, it was beautiful quality. Although I factored in the taxes... It was as expensive as a new one, but a new one could not be purchased. So I went with it.

On a Neverfull GM, I would probably consider it if I saved between 400$ +... But I'm not sure with taxes and such factored in, this is what you are looking for.

So my answer to your question is: No.

I would go to the store and buy a new one. As for lining? I don't know... No one sees it. Almost I consequential to me. Then you can be in complete control of the patina process, and care and storage of your bag.

Thanks for being my voice of reason. Straight out with taxes at my end, the difference is about $400. But that's assuming I don't get dinged by customs and that's the unknown. The bag has a beautiful patina right now, but I guess a new one would eventually too, right? Buying new makes much more sense. And it's my birthday Friday so I deserve it, LOL....

Love your name too!

I would buy the NF new. Overtime as you use the bag it'll start to look just like the used one for sale, if not a bit better. Not to mention the used NF's are pretty pricey themselves!
Might as well enjoy it in brand new condition! :smile:

I would buy new, especially because the used bag is abroad, which could result in unforeseen complications if the bag is more damaged than expected or if customs stop the package and make you pay import taxes (it happens more often than one would expect and can result in a big fee). Save yourself time, money, and a headache, and purchase new from the store.

Last edited:
Thanks for being my voice of reason. Straight out with taxes at my end, the difference is about $400. But that's assuming I don't get dinged by customs and that's the unknown. The bag has a beautiful patina right now, but I guess a new one would eventually too, right? Buying new makes much more sense. And it's my birthday Friday so I deserve it, LOL....

Love your name too!

KoolforKatz,

And it's your birthday too?!

No no. Please put the preloved out of your mind and enjoy the NEW bag. Funny enough, I'm preparing to purchase a Keepall 55 Bandouliere and spent the morning researching the patina process! I've had 3 mono bags before and they have lovely patina. But now that I KNOW it can go wrong (thanks to purse forum) now I want to try different methods. It's just so silly! When I didn't know LV even changed colors I wore the bags and enjoyed them, and they changed to the honey color without any issues.

Now that I know.. I'm worried! Ignorance was bliss.

Going to do the patina champ method..

Enjoy your bag!