Please Help Me Help Others!

1. In one week I will be participating in the Avon Walk for Breast Cancer in New York City. I have walked the walk 2x before. This year I will be participating in the crew that helps the walkers.

Walkers walk 26 to 39 miles over the course of 2 days and raise a minimum of $1800! The crew is there to support the walkers, giving them food and water, looking for signs that someone is getting ill, cheerleading, etc. Both the walkers and the crew camp out in tents on Randall's Island at night. It's a major undertaking!

This is a cause I hold close to my heart because I work in mammography. Not only that but my mother is a breast cancer survivor. One in seven women will get breast cancer in her lifetime. Even if you haven't met someone yet in your life who has struggled with the disease, you will. It might be you, your sister, your mother, your daughter, your friend... but it will happen.

The Avon Walk For Breast Cancer raises money for research, education, and to fund health care for the financially under-served. One of the walks I went to had a woman who spoke Chinese and was speaking through a translator. She came to America and had no health care, did not speak English, and really didn't think about the disease. The Avon Foundation was reaching out to her community, offering free mammograms in her area, and posting signage in her language. She went for the mammogram and they did end up finding cancer. Avon was with her every step of the way, paying for her surgery, her hospital stay, providing translators and childcare to her, and even bringing her food while she recovered through the help of one of their partners, named Gods Love, We Deliver.

I'm not sure if it will be frowned upon that I am asking for money on this board, but my hope is it will not be. I have a secure website set up by the Avon Foundation. I urge you to take a look at my cause, the charity, where the money goes, and when you are satisfied, I hope you will donate to this very worth-while cause.

Avon Walk for Breast Cancer:

And yes, I'm in those pictures! I'm not looking very glam... I'm actually looking and feeling very gimpy when those were taken!

Thanks in advance for your help. I cannot tell you how much it means to me as a participant, but, also, how your donations will help change lives!

To anyone interested in joining one of the walks in 2007, feel free to PM me. I'd be glad to discuss this amazing event with you!

2. That is very admirable. I am doing the Aids walk in Los Angeles on October 15th.

3. Yeah for you! I did my first one this year in Washington, D.C. It was an AMAZING experience. It makes you realize that walking 39.3 miles and the few days of pain after it is NOTHING compared to what women and their families fighting this disease go through. WALK ON!!!!!

4. Thanks for your support ladies!

Tomorrow I'll be going to NYC to register for the walk. Then I'll wake up by 3 am on Saturday :o to get to South Street Seaport to start preparing for the walkers! I'll then be at rest stops 1 and 6 to cheer walkers on and help them to food and drinks.

After that I go to the "Wellness Village" on Randall's Island... there will be a tent city there for us to sleep in :o They have showers (in trucks lol!) and food, bathrooms, entertainment, yoga, etc. Everything you could want really, just without a ton of luxury :smile:

Sunday morning I'll be up before dawn again to start preparing for the walkers at rest stop 1.

Then I go to closing ceremonies on South Street Seaport.

Wow what an amazing weekend!

I just wrote a bit on a blog about it too if you'd like to know more about the cause:

EA Cares

And please ladies, find it in your hearts to give to this very important cause. It's tax-deductable. It's a secure website. It is helping people right here at home. Your donations DO make a difference. Whether you can only give $10, or $1000... it doesn't matter. What matters is that you support this very worthwhile cause and are committed to making a difference in the lives of others!

Please read my blog to read the story of one woman whose life was changed thanks to the generosity of people like you :smile:

Thanks again!

Margaret

5. Margaret, all the best in your Avon Walk!