Please don't turn this into more than it is...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I am confused about the term Zionist. I tried reading about it on Wikipedia, and I still don't really understand, and also the article had a warning on top that it might be biased. Can anyone explain it more thoroughly to me, (without being biased, please)? What, or who, is a Zionist, and why is it portrayed in a bad light so often?

I'm afraid of starting another accidental problem thread like the one started by Caitlin, so Mods, I apologise in advance if that turns out to be the case.

2. I don't know if this is biased or not, but the concept was covered in a history course I took last semester, so any bias would be from what I was taught. Zionism was a movement that began in Europe (austria, I think?) in response to the Dreyfus affair. It argued that the Dreyfus affair demonstrated that, even in the most liberal state in Europe, Jews could not live without persecution. Because of this, it was argued that they would never be fully welcome in Europe and would therefore require their own homeland. I think the concept evolved from there and its current use refers to this idea of support for the Jewish homeland in Israel.

I'm not sure if this was helpful, or if I'm totally right about everything, since I know textbooks tend to be biased with this kind of thing.

3. iM CLOSING.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.