Plagiarizing a speech

1. I just came back from a graduation of the college I graduated from two years ago. It was lovely except for one thing. When it was time for the Valedictorian to give her valedicotry address/speech, there was stuff blatantly plagiarized off from my speech two years ago. Initially when she opened with the same first line (a greeting), I didn't think much about it cause it was a greeting. Then when she read the second and third line, I thought to myself "Did someone left the wrong copy on the podium cause that's my speech!" and kinda thought someone messed up big time cause she's reading my speech. Well, she went on and said a couple more sentences which is directly from my speech except that she replaced school organizations and activities I was involved in with hers. I was stunned. It wasn't a mistake. I was pissed. I don't know if I have the right to be but I am.

When I was writing my speech two years ago, they showed me a couple of the past valedictory addresses/speeches and handed me a copy of one to use as a guide or outline and to give me an idea what the speech is supposed to be like. They said it could be something totally different too, which is exactly what I did. I wrote my speech from scratch. I would imagine that last year and this year's valedictorians also saw past valedictory addresses/speeches and they would use it as a guide or outline or just as something to give them an idea on what some valedictory addresses/speeches are like but NOT TO COPY/PLAGIARIZE.

Am I overreacting on this? I am hurt that this happened. I'm not sure if anyone proofread it or checked it to see that it wasn't plagiarizing the past speeches. I'm disappointed in the valedictorian as she is an education major. I would think she would know more than to plagiarize something. I want to write a letter right now so bad to the president of my college but I wanted to wait to see if I can grab a copy of her speech before I do so I can actually see how much of my speech was plagiarized (I stopped listening to her talk after almost half of her speech). I wouldn't think that they might've messed up initially that someone put my speech up there if I didn't really think it was mine. I'm thinking that after I do get a copy of her speech and do write a letter, I'd request in the letter to not let anyone else see my speech as it shouldn't matter anymore to them cause her speech is basically mine minus certain stuff I did that she didn't do and add in stuff that she did but I didn't do. Sorry for the long post. I am just pissed and sad and not sure if I really should do anything about it. The thing is, if I didn't attend this year's graduation....I would never know. That just hurts. :cry:

2. I think you should write a note to the president or the dean of the college or something. That would piss me off sooooo much.
    Go for it. Stealing your speech is a big deal, especially considering that she should really know better.

3. i think you should say something to someone, plagiarism i never ok, particularly when the person is supposed to be accomplished enough to write their own freakin' speeches.

4. You should have been contacted to get permission to use even part of your speech.. I agree with Bethany and that you should write a note to the president or dean.

5. Thank you for your responses. I just felt like crying but couldn't cause it was a happy day for my friends. But now that I'm at home, I just wanted to let it out and see if what I feel and think is wrong. Thank you for your responses. I will write a letter to the president of my college and my dean too. Even though I'm an alumni, I support my college by attending events and even giving them a scholarship. It just felt like a slap in the face. Thanks guys.

6. Keep us posted as to whether you get a response from the school president. I am curious as to how this will turn out. Good luck.

7. I will. If they apologize and agree to pull out my speech from the pile, I'm okay with that. I don't think they'd do anything about the student who just graduated though but I don't think I care for that really even when I should somehow. Thanks.

8. I think the least they could do is make her write you a formal apology. She should be ashamed of herself.

9. I'm sorry you're feeling hurt, kathyrose! :sad:

Maybe she only did it because she is shy and hates public speaking; so was too scared to write her own speech and so 'hid' behind yours?

Also, maybe there was a mix-up and she thought/was told that yours was the guide/outline on which she was supposed/allowed to base hers?

Have you considered, that perhaps your speech was so good, that the college changed the guide/outline to follow yours?!

Also, remember that 'Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery'!

So, whichever it is, or even if she's just a plagiarist; you've almost certainly had an ENORMOUS compliment paid to you, today! :yes:

10. I've thought about it but thinking that she's an education major, she has to especially know that plagiarism is a big no-no and complete sentences being copied falls there. I would've been flattered if it wasn't plagiarized but used as a guide (like sentences that she substituted with her activities and accomplishments instead of mine but the other words are the same). I thought that it might've been an honest mistake but I really think that it isn't. If that's the case, I'd be scared at the thought when she starts teaching and what she views as plagiarism.

Past speeches are meant to be guides/outlines but she took sentences out word per word from mine. That is not a guide to me. That is copying. :sad:

I did hear compliments about the valedictory speech. It all goes to her though. I wouldn't mind if it was totally different but it did something to me (made me twitch everytime I hear it or something like that). :cry: But it's okay. I will write the letter and see what they say.

11. I don't think it would happen and I don't expect it to (cause I don't think they'd contact her about it) but anywhere else, I'd expect that. There's so much covering up in my college about the college's image that I was glad that I graduated when I did. I didn't want to know all the stuff while I was still going there. I still supported my college though, donating a scholarship and supporting some events. I want the students to have the wonderful expereince I had except for this last thing. I certainly do not want someone else's speech plagiarized.

12. so sorry to hear about what happened.. similar to what others have said, yeah, send a note and ask for a formal apology coz it is never right to plagiarize another person's work...

13. What a horrible situation! I can understand your annoyance.

14. I was afraid that what she did won't be considered plagiarizing cause it's not a published work or anything but copying off someone else's paper in school is considered plagiarizing so I think this is considered plagiarizing too. I was trying to think up reasons why my complaint might be dismissed but so far I don't think there's any.

15. I am glad you are writing a letter. This should have never happened. Hopefully they will realize that showing the speaches of others isn't the right thing to do. Please let us know what happens.