Piano Keyboards

Leelee

Up On My Toes!
Jun 6, 2006
Does anybody play these? I'd love to get some information if you do!

I play the flute, but my dream has always been to play the piano too. We don't own one and my husband isn't ready to invest in one right now, so I'm considering a piano keyboard.

Does it sound like a regular piano? If I take lessons on a regular piano will it be difficult to then practice on a keyboard piano?

Also, I have been looking at a Yamaha brand. Does anyone have thoughts on this?

Thanks for your help!

An electronic keyboard has a completely different feel from a regular piano. Doesn't mean you can't learn on one. I am biased. I took lessons for 10 years and can't use an electric keyboard because I am so used to the touch of the keys on a regular piano. There are plenty of used ones out there. Just need tuning. Make sure to put against a wall that is NOT an exterior wall.

I did the same thing, and found it a good in between. I got a yamaha full size keyboard. I really like it. Plus the stand folds up and I can slide the whole thing under the bed when we are not using it.

Todays keyboards can SOUND somewhat like a real piano, but if you learn on a keyboard, to play a real piano can actually make your hands feel tired, since you need to put more pressure on the keys. Keyboards are lighter on the hands and fingers, but if its your only access to playing, its better than nothing.

Try getting one with heavier keys... that's the big problem. I have been practicing on a keyboard for years and when it came to playing on an actual piano, my fingers weren't strong enough to press the keys down for long periods of time. I've seen keyboards with heavy piano like keys, try to get one of those.

Funny you should mention this!

My daughter has a Yamaha keyboard and she loves it! She begged for it and we got her one this past winter. She tinkered with it for a short period of time and then stuck it in the guest room, as she does with most things she just HAS to have.

She takes voice lessons every week and her coach uses a regular (but gorgeous!) piano for her lessons. This in turn has made my girl suddenly interested in playing the piano. She pulled out her Yamaha a few weeks ago, sat down and taught herself 5 or 6 songs from her repertoire already!

She has a very good ear for notes and has blown her vocal coach away with this! After voice lessons each week, they now go over her music on the full size piano. She really looks forward to this time and always has lots of questions. She sits right down and knows EXACTLY which notes to hit on the full size. She gets a new song every 3 weeks or so, comes right home and sits down at her keyboard to figure them out. She can't read notes, but instead, plays by ear. Now, I've got to look into piano lessons.

I think a regular piano has a heavier sound quality than a keyboard and there are no pedals. I've never played the piano but it seems to me that notes are notes whether they are on a keyboard on piano.

From our personal experience, a keyboard is a great place to start.

I took piano lessons for almost 10 years!! I completely agree on the fact that piano keys have a completely different feel to those on a keyboard. They're way heavier and require greater pressure from your fingers. I believe there are keyboards out there with a full key that may provide you with a more piano-like feeling, but I don't think I've come across a keyboard that will sound exactly like a piano. Not to a trained ear, at least.

It is a great way to start though!! Pianos aren't cheap, and you can still learn how to play on a full-sized keyboard. It'll just take you a while to get used to when you play on a piano.

Try getting one with heavier keys... that's the big problem. I have been practicing on a keyboard for years and when it came to playing on an actual piano, my fingers weren't strong enough to press the keys down for long periods of time. I've seen keyboards with heavy piano like keys, try to get one of those.

Thanks to all for responding.

The particular Yamaha model I am looking at has weighted keys. I'm hoping that means they'll feel more like traditional piano keys.

Does anyone have thoughts on an instructor? I mean, would a teacher be opposed to teaching me on a real piano at a studio, knowing I would have to practice at home on a keyboard?

If you like and are good at it, go with the real piano.
The feeling and touching on a real one are totally different.

I have the grand yamaha piano.
Japan made have clear, high and crispy sound; while european made ones are soft, deep and warm, and those cost 2, or 3 times more.

Thanks to all for responding.

The particular Yamaha model I am looking at has weighted keys. I'm hoping that means they'll feel more like traditional piano keys.

Does anyone have thoughts on an instructor? I mean, would a teacher be opposed to teaching me on a real piano at a studio, knowing I would have to practice at home on a keyboard?

weighted keys are fine, but remember that the piano keys are anyway heavier (weighted keys even get lighter after years). I don't think a teacher will oppose to teach you just because you have a keyboard, but he will suggest you to buy a real piano because it's completely different (pedals, sound) and you can't play the forte, the piano and pianissimo on a keyboard!

Get the keyboard, start lessons, and if you love it, invest in a piano. Nothing should stop you from following your passions!

If you decide to get a piano, or want something inexpensive before a big investment, try craigslist or your newspaper classifieds...many times people offer the piano for free or at minimal cost if you move it. Later on you can invest in a nicer piano.

I play piano and would suggest if you learn on a keyboard get on with weighted keys -- that will give you the best transition to a real piano but if at all possible, buy a real one.

Even at the novice level of learning an instrument, if you are serious I believe the better quality of instrument, the more apt you will be to continue playing - who wants to use an instrument that is substandard, anything is giggly, buzzing, not working, partially working ... etc... also, if you buy a real piano, it has and holds value, you buy an electronic keyboard, its value plumits quickly.

If you just want to test things out, you can always rent a piano :smile: Or look for a low cost reasonable piano that is second hand that you often can resell for pretty much the same cost.

I have a Charles Walter Studio piano, I paid $4000 second hand for it from a Piano Store, and have been told its now worth quite a bit more, so for the years I have been using it, its not costing me anything if I decide to sell it -- I have had it for about 5 years and love it, and its not going anywhere.

Good luck with your venture :smile:

Gosh I could write a book about pianos & keyboards!:roflmfao:
I am a music teacher.
Yes, a keyboard has the exact same sound as a piano. But a keyboard obviously has all the different sounds ...
A piano you would usually find has 88 keys A-C and 220 strings, 7 octaves 14, 7 white notes and five black notes to an octave = 52 white notes and 36 black notes.
Although keyboards range in 61, 76 and 88 keys (A regular would have 36 white notes and 25 black notes.)
Basically the difference is a keyboard is just an eletric version of a piano.
The sounds from a piano is the action of hitting mallets on strings, and a keyboard is just eletric.
If you were to take lessons on a piano and practise on a keyboard, its not the best thing to do. Because of the piano having more keys and the piano has the option of the footpedals.
Being a music teacher, and a traditionalist, I would suggest that you buy a real piano.
For beginners, I suggest them to get a regular keyboard, but in the future if you did want to invest in a piano, I would get weighed keys. But if you arent going to invest/have nothing to do with a piano just get the regular keyboard.

And.. Yamaha is the best keyboard to go for!
Good luck!

x

I play piano and would suggest if you learn on a keyboard get on with weighted keys -- that will give you the best transition to a real piano but if at all possible, buy a real one.

Even at the novice level of learning an instrument, if you are serious I believe the better quality of instrument, the more apt you will be to continue playing - who wants to use an instrument that is substandard, anything is giggly, buzzing, not working, partially working ... etc... also, if you buy a real piano, it has and holds value, you buy an electronic keyboard, its value plumits quickly.

If you just want to test things out, you can always rent a piano :smile: Or look for a low cost reasonable piano that is second hand that you often can resell for pretty much the same cost.

I have a Charles Walter Studio piano, I paid $4000 second hand for it from a Piano Store, and have been told its now worth quite a bit more, so for the years I have been using it, its not costing me anything if I decide to sell it -- I have had it for about 5 years and love it, and its not going anywhere.

Good luck with your venture :smile:

Agreed with you.

I paid mine $20,000 8 years ago, and do not think I could buy a brand new for that price nowaday.

I have a Yamaha keyboard and a regular piano, both the sound and feel of the two is very different. The keyboard we never use and it's been put away in the loft because the real piano sounds so much better in my opinion. Keyboards would be good if you're starting to learn, but I just think the real thing sounds so much nicer once you start playing a lot as it's the actual sound of you hammers (sorry don't know what the technical term is) hitting your strings, as opposed to an electrical noise being produced. I'm used to the weight of the keys too and keyboards always feel very light and touch sesntive to me. I suppose you like what you're used to really.