PHOENIX Residents- We are saddended by the Helicopter crash

1. Our heart goes out to everyone here in Phoenix and the Families of Channel 15 (ABC) and Channel 3 we send our deepest condolences.

2. Thankyou--I was about to post this as well.

I actually have met Craig, the pilot of the ABC 15 new helicopter...he was such a nice man.

He actually flew every day with his little dog, Molly--they call her "Flying Molly".

Today, though, he left Molly in the hanger, so she was not in the crash.

My thoughts and prayers are with all of the families and friends of the victims.

3. Oh, thats just horrible :sad:.
    I send my condolences

4. Channel 15 is reporting that Rick's (Channel 15's photojournalist) granddaughter died yesterday at age 5 and today he died. It is so sad. My prayers are with the families.

5. I am sending a prayer up for the families. God bless them in this time of need.

6. How awful. Surely something must come of this regarding 5 helicopters occupying the same region of air just to film a police chase. Terrible that it's happened, but this needs to change - the death toll could have been far greater had those wrecks plummeted into the school buildings.

7. I have family in Phoenix and heard about this, how awful.

8. How horrible!!! My heart aches for the families.

9. This is so so sad. My heart goes out to all the loved ones. This has always been my big fear about these car chases. I live in LA and swarms of helicopters chasing someone is a daily occurance. I knew it was only a matter of time. Maybe this will help implement some new safety regulations or maybe ban filming car chases this way? I don't know. Its just so tragic.

10. Terrible accident, prayers for the families. My question is though at the end of that news there is the last line that said the man that was arrested would probably be held responsible for the deaths. While I wouldn't mind wishing that person the rest of his life in jail or worse how can that happen? Was it not the fault of the pilots?

11. ^It was the helicopters that collided, but the reason that so many in the air were there in the first place is because of the idiot who stole 2 cars and barricaded himself into a house.

He was the indirect cause of the crash IMHO.

12. I don't want to hijack this thread, it is a terribly saddening story, however...

"but the reason that so many in the air were there in the first place is because of the idiot who stole 2 cars and barricaded himself into a house.

He was the indirect cause of the crash IMHO. "

Is that the real reason, do we really need multiple pictures from multiple helicopters of police chasing a guy who stole a couple of cars?
    This guy isn't to blame even if he is a total scumbag, it's the media/culture that's to blame. How many of those World's wildest Police chases type programs are there, it's beyond a joke, maybe the criminals do it deliberately to get on these programs? Who else watches them?

13. I struggled with this as well. No we don't need to see these car chases. I wish they would outlaw these chopper chases but then where does "freedom of the press start and end?" These chopper pilots are required to do this by their employers (the networks). It is their job. Just like it is for a cop to go after these idiots, it is the chopper pilots/camera mens job to tape the chase. I think the pilots/cameramen should boycott and refuse to pursue. But then you know what? They would just be replaced.:sad:

14. They should allow only the police helicopter and maybe broadcast the feed to all the stations or something kwim? Then there wouldn't have been such a tragedy