PHH/SO and Bag Habit

Frankly, $7,000 on a bag is nuts to me, too, unless it has 18 carat gold hardwear, or stunning and extremely time consuming detailing/embellishment.

My absolute upper limit for a bag is about $2,500 (and that would have to be a really nice bag, like a BV).

Maybe I just don't know enough about the Hermes manufacturing process; but I really can't see what you are paying that much for, except exclusivity? :shrugs:

So, I'm probably not the right person to ask, sorry! :lol:

I used to wonder about hvis too, but Hermes as a compatny put a lot into sourcing their materials e.g. various types of leather and repltile, then dying the hides. They use the best craftsmen to make them by hand. Of course when the demand exceeds sup;ly the prices go up and that's when Hermes get away with charging thousands for a handbag. Your paying are for the name but you are also paying for fine materials and crafsmanship. From lurking on the Hermess sumbforum is appears that they will do some small replairs for free, on the spot if someone is around.

Personally I'm planning on separate accounts when/if I get married. My BF never really comments on how much I spend and he's sort of gotten used to the prices. Sort of. I think a comment like I'll leave if you spend X on X is a little silly. After all its your money and you aren't married, even if you were married you should always have your own money IMO.

bf knows I love bags.. he knows I love quality bags.. he knows that I got tons of designer bags.. he knows, he frowns about it, jokes about it (my bags occupy 1/4 of my closet right now and I have some at the storage place).. but wouldn't touch my stuff because they are mine.. I have recently acquired some Hermes bags (no, not the Birkin yet).. but the way I see it, it is my money, if I want to buy it, then it is my choice.. am I spending a lot? yes, and that's fine by me..

Eugin, those same words were uttered by my SO as well. I've been with him for close to 4 years now and he's still pretty set on the whole thing. He still considers it as materialistic. I'm trying to make him see that materialisic or not, Hermes hold its value and that if I ever get tired of it, I can recoup the money.

I think SO and PHH generally change their minds about things once they realize the monetary values and possible profits that can come from bags. Granted, I don't buy bags for profit, but it is an argument that is definitely pretty effective in slowly wear them down

My SO doesn't understand it at all, but he loves me and that means loving my quirky habits ;)

Most bag lovers I talk to have a similar understanding with their SOs.

Eugin, those same words were uttered by my SO as well. I've been with him for close to 4 years now and he's still pretty set on the whole thing. He still considers it as materialistic. I'm trying to make him see that materialisic or not, Hermes hold its value and that if I ever get tired of it, I can recoup the money.

I think SO and PHH generally change their minds about things once they realize the monetary values and possible profits that can come from bags. Granted, I don't buy bags for profit, but it is an argument that is definitely pretty effective in slowly wear them down

That's my problem. If I buy a bag I usually don't want to ever part with it! :yes: