Petite ladies with small hips...

1. Hi~

This is a bit of a random question that has been on my mind for a while now...

I'm only 23 and having a baby is very far off on the horizon for me, but I would eventually love to start my own family. The thing is, I am quite small (5'3'', 98lbs, 32'' hips), and the thought of squeezing a baby through there just scares the ish out of me! :wtf: I know there are many smaller women who have had successful pregnancies/births, and I'm wondering how it went? Are there cases where women have to get C-sections because their hip bones are too narrow? Is there more :gasp!: tearing when you're small?

Man, this topic is so scary for me. How am I ever going to have a baby??? :sad:
  2. I too am petite~ 5'4 120 lbs. I could not deliver my son via va-jj. I had to have a c-section due to the fact that he was just too big for me. His head measured 14. I did not progress pass 5 cm dialated.

It all depends on the bone structure. We thought I wouldn't have a problem, but I just couldn't fit him. It turned out just fine. He is now 3 and the joy of my life:heart:
  3. ROTFLMAO! :roflmfao:^^^ va-jj! That is funny!!!

Back on topic, I haven't had mine yet but I'm quite petite, was orig 5'2, 103lbs. BUT...both of my sisters have a total of 7 kids between them and they are even tinier than I am. They had no problems with vaginal births and their hips went back to normal afterwards. Maybe we were just blessed with good genes. I've heard that your body's never the same after birth but theirs are even better postpartum.
  4. ^^I have to agree. My pre pg size is 5'2 1/2" and 105 lbs. All my kids were Vaginally delivered. I did not have any problems. And I also went back down to my original weigh/shape after each kid. But they say that it depends on the kid's size. Mine were, 7lbs 15 ounces, 8lbs 9 oz, 7 lbs 10 oz, and I did just fine. You'll do great when you're ready! Don't worry! (And we'll be here for you when it's your turn!)
  5. Wow, thanks ladies, for your input! I'm always amazed at how quickly wonderful members are out there with replies to any question. It's definitely reassuring to know that pregnancy/birth is ok with a small frame...and also reassuring to know we have a chance of being petite again afterwards! :sweatdrop: Best of luck with your babies. Lots of love to you and thanks again!
  6. ^^ I feel the same way!!! Since it's our first, it's nice to know I can count on my sisters as well as my sisters on tPF! hehe! :flowers:
  7. When you are pregnant, your hips will not be the same as they are now. The pelvic area will widen and shift to accommodate your baby, so just because you are petite and have small hips, does not mean you won't be able to deliver vaginally :smile:
  8. I wish I was able to have babies the va-jj way! I am jelous! I too appreciate all the women responding as soon as we can. What a great place to be:heart:

Think about it~ If it were not for modern medicine of today, I would not have survived the birth of my son in the olden days:sweatdrop:, thank GOD I live in the present.

My son was 8 LBS 9 oz at birth
  9. I am 5'4" and 110 pre-preg and had 4 kids at least 8lbs from the va jj! Amazing how your body works!!!
  10. I am 5' 2" and was only 98 lbs when I got pregnant. I am tiny! It depends on the shape of your bones on the INSIDE. Your pelvic bones widen during birth and most times it's enough to let the baby through with no problem. No doctor can tell by just looking at the outside of you. It's the bones inside that will determine how much of a problem you will have.

I had two kids, 7lbs. 7oz, and 7lbs. 4oz. and no problem at all! And my son's head was HUGE!!! LOL! The doctor said my pelvis was made to have kids.

So, don't be worried, they will help you when the time comes.
  11. I'm 5'4" and very skinny. Pre-pregnancy, I'm about 100 lbs. But during my pregnancies I'm all belly so when I leave the hospital after each of my daughters, people can't believe that I even had a baby. My first 2 pregnancies, I delivered my girls vaginally and without any drugs. Mind you, my labours were very quick. With my 4 year old, my labour was 2 1/2 hours and she ended up weighing 6 lbs 10 ozs. With my 2 year old, my labour was 1/2 hour and she ended up being 7 lbs 15 ozs. So with baby #3, I just hope I'll be able to make it to the hospital on time.
  12. ohmygod! that is quick. my mothers friend has 4 kids and all of her labours were under 2 hours! with her last, her waters broke at a wedding reception and buy the time she had told her husband and got to the car she had the baby!
  13. omg!!
    im only 4'11''...
    this thread is really scaring me!!:sos:
  14. I was wondering this too!!! I'm almost 5'2" and pre preg weight I was around 95 ish lbs, and I'm quite worried that when I give birth, he won't fit through.

I'll update you guys if I do give birth naturally.. lol.. the clock is counting down.
  15. I'm 5'4" and was only 90lbs pre-pregnancy. I was so worried I would have a hard time delivering! But things stretch and with the epidural I had her out in 15 mins of pushing. I thought the whole process was way too easy! She was 7lbs 12oz.

If I could do it...anybody can do it!!