Perfume: Is it wise to buy a 100ml bottle? Would 50ml be the better choice?

lovely_bag

O.G.
Nov 3, 2008
Hello!

When I was using a single signature scent, a 50ml bottle lastet a full year.

Right now I am using 5 different perfumes, so. I am not likely to use up the 100ml bottle in 3-4 years, having my scents in rotation.

Some houses sell only 100ml (Byredo), others are sold only by 100ml in Vienna (Montale).
So I got used to the 100ml bottles.

Wheh 100ml and 50ml are available, 100ml bottles are always a bargain, compared to 50ml:

A typical ratio would be: 100ml for 100 EUR, 50ml for 80 EUR.

But is it wise to buy a 100ml bottle?

Should I start selling samples online?

How do you deal with the bargain-ratio?
I am lookng forward to hear from your experiences.

I never bought a 100ml perfume myself but I was gifted. I'm test driving perfumes right now, love some scents but most of the fragrances I like are 100ml, so no new bottle yet. I could go to 75ml if I really, really love the juice lol

I like a bargain. Since you can get double the perfume while paying only 20% more than for the small bottle, I'd say go with that as long as you are reasonably sure you will continue to use the fragrance for the next couple of years. If you think you might get bored with it then stick with the smaller bottle.

Hi!

I base that decision on wether its a fragrance I'm going to use often or if it's more one for occasional use. But then again, if I really like a fragrance I generally do not care about the size and buy whatever is available. There are many days on which I change to another fragrance in the evening so I don't have any trouble emptying those larger bottles. ;)

Here's a part of my rather current rotation.

IMG_0246.jpg

Kind regards,
Oliver

Hi!

I base that decision on wether its a fragrance I'm going to use often or if it's more one for occasional use. But then again, if I really like a fragrance I generally do not care about the size and buy whatever is available. There are many days on which I change to another fragrance in the evening so I don't have any trouble emptying those larger bottles. ;)

View attachment 3510311

Kind regards,
Oliver

Thank you Oliver!
I like your current rotation.

One reason why I lean towards 100ml bottles: often they do look nicer, nicer proportions.
ok, that's a silly reason but maybe it is a good reason to spend 20% more, since I look at the bottles every morning.
Since you have an array of fragrances that you use in rotation I would consider the 50ml specifically for that
reason as you don't want the fragrance to lose its potency

If you were just to use the single fragrance than the 100ml would be a better buy & choice
hotshot, your words could be mine!

I never bought a 100ml perfume myself but I was gifted. I'm test driving perfumes right now, love some scents but most of the fragrances I like are 100ml, so no new bottle yet. I could go to 75ml if I really, really love the juice lol
roundandround, I wonder when the 100ml started to became a new standard.
??
I like a bargain. Since you can get double the perfume while paying only 20% more than for the small bottle, I'd say go with that as long as you are reasonably sure you will continue to use the fragrance for the next couple of years. If you think you might get bored with it then stick with the smaller bottle.
Oh, I am so sure I will continue to use it for the next couple of years: the perfume is Etro's "Etra", it is such an easy elegant scent. Perfect on many occasions.
Hi!

View attachment 3510311

Kind regards,
Oliver
another aspect is the lasting power: Etra is a bit weak on my skin, so touch ups, during the day I likely to happen.

Thank you everyone for sharing your opinions!

Now I am curious: I wonder how long 50ml would last, now that I have 5, soon to be 6 perfumes rotating.
One of the unsolved riddles in a perfume lover's life.

roundandround, I wonder when the 100ml started to became a new standard.
??

Oh, I am so sure I will continue to use it for the next couple of years: the perfume is Etro's "Etra", it is such an easy elegant scent. Perfect on many occasions.

another aspect is the lasting power: Etra is a bit weak on my skin, so touch ups, during the day I likely to happen.

Thank you everyone for sharing your opinions!

Now I am curious: I wonder how long 50ml would last, now that I have 5, soon to be 6 perfumes rotating.
One of the unsolved riddles in a perfume lover's life.

Some brands only sell 100mls on some of their fragrances bec. they can earn more rather than small bottles IMHO. So if one really, really love the scent and use it a lot you'll be forced to get a big bottle lol But not to me.

I saw Etro perfumes a couple of weeks ago, sprayed some but I didn't find one that I like. It's a good house too, love their packaging.

Some brands only sell 100mls on some of their fragrances bec. they can earn more rather than small bottles IMHO. So if one really, really love the scent and use it a lot you'll be forced to get a big bottle lol But not to me.

I saw Etro perfumes a couple of weeks ago, sprayed some but I didn't find one that I like. It's a good house too, love their packaging.
I missed the last promotion with the chance to buy a cheaper 100ml bottle, the next promotion started today and ends Mon. 9am. :biggrin:

What I like about Etra: it would be by far the most subtle fragrance in my growing collection. My other fragrances have quite a sillage - Fleurs d'Oranger and Laine de Verre, both Serge Lutens, Essence Insensées 2015, Diptyque and Oud Save the King, Atkinson.

Hello!

When I was using a single signature scent, a 50ml bottle lastet a full year.

Right now I am using 5 different perfumes, so. I am not likely to use up the 100ml bottle in 3-4 years, having my scents in rotation.

Some houses sell only 100ml (Byredo), others are sold only by 100ml in Vienna (Montale).
So I got used to the 100ml bottles.

Wheh 100ml and 50ml are available, 100ml bottles are always a bargain, compared to 50ml:

A typical ratio would be: 100ml for 100 EUR, 50ml for 80 EUR.

But is it wise to buy a 100ml bottle?

Should I start selling samples online?

How do you deal with the bargain-ratio?
I am lookng forward to hear from your experiences.

I am a perfume-obsessed so I always always buy 100 ml. If there's a 150 ml I would totally buy that.