people who talk down to you...

My co-workers for the most part don't really know designers or anything like that, BUT, I do get the occasional bug eyed look about my bags when they have a logo (like LV).

I had my Chanel on my desk and a co-worker came over heading straight for my bag and I felt myself cringing waiting for the comment. "I really love your bag! It is so pretty, I want a nice black bag. Where did you get it?" At which point I said NM and left it at that. It is hard to deal with I know, but it is all about where you want to put your $$$ and it is nobody else's business.

I wouldn't even waste time explaining about leather quality or anything. She's not paying your bills so it's none of her business how you spend your money. The End.
:tup:

None of their biz in any way, shape or form. Whenever someone feels the need to comment about what I spend on bags, I get the sense that there's some serious envy going on, which isn't my issue or problem. Why else would they feel a need to comment on the latest Prada? :rolleyes: ;)

agreed with ranskimmie.

Honestly.. regardless of how much money she happens to spend on her handbags.. it's rude to comment on how ANYONE spends the money that THEY EARN.

Why don't you just say, 'well actually I don't really like your taste in bags, so I don't really see the point in going to Target for my purses.' I don't know, I usually make a smart comment back in cases like that.

People put their own value in things their own. You don't have to justify to your co-worker about why you're spending $xx on your purses. Next time she asks why you spend so much on designer purses, just give her a simple answer "Coz I like it". ;)

To each his own - exactly my opinion!
In Germany we have this strange phenomenon that a lot of women feel guilty when they spend money for themselves (clothing, bags, shoes etc.). They usually ask their husbands first whether they should buy this dress or not.
On the other hand, it's perfectly alright for them to pay 1,000 $ monthly mortgage for a tiny house...(and to run around in rags because there's no money left for good looking clothes). If course it's this kind of woman who is the first to chastize you about expensive clothes and bags... :yucky:

Regina

To each his own - exactly my opinion!
In Germany we have this strange phenomenon that a lot of women feel guilty when they spend money for themselves (clothing, bags, shoes etc.). They usually ask their husbands first whether they should buy this dress or not.
On the other hand, it's perfectly alright for them to pay 1,000 $ monthly mortgage for a tiny house...(and to run around in rags because there's no money left for good looking clothes). If course it's this kind of woman who is the first to chastize you about expensive clothes and bags... :yucky:

Regina

Regina, We have lots of women like this in the States, too! I do think it is a common female trait to feel guilt or worry anytime money is spent on oneself. We spend so much of our time taking care of others, holding down the fort, and putting others' needs first that it feels very indulgent and even wrong to spend some money on yourself.

And I also agree that it is why people often feel they need to comment...they cannot see themselves making that decision (even if they'd like to) so they say something negative. You can never win--in my opinion--having these conversations with people. They won't change their minds and you won't change yours. And that's okay.

BTW, spent some time in Koln and Trier this summer and just loved it!

I experience this, too. There are so many great comments on this thread~

There is no winning with some people. I didnt understand the glory of a designer bag until just recently, but I came around.

Droo is right. Some people argue just to argue! If she is one of those, then will be a PITA about something even if you do start carrying ten dollar purses.

On the other hand, I remember when I saw a girl carrying a super cute Marc Jacobs purse - I liked purses, and had vaguely thought I might like a Kelly bag, but I had never ventured outside the world of Coach. When I looked for this MJ at the store, I was gob-smacked when I saw the price. I didn't think I would ever pay that much for a purse! But then, the seduction began... the rest is history.

I agree!
that's just soo rude! don't waste your time. she's not looking to understand... she's just looking to make someone else look bad. maybe she's one of those people that has to talk badly about others to boost their own self esteem...

oh but i do like target. they do have fun cheap stuff! :woohoo:

ITA. Don't waste your time. But it seriously irritates me that someone would take their time to put you down!
I do like Target for buying my household supplies, not purses. (I have to admit, I did buy a twenty dollar purse there once - my husband was so happy. I wasn't - I gave it away about a week later!)

You should tell her... "Thank goodness you told me... I was going to get you one for Christmas... I'll find you a better one at target instead!":wlae:

:roflmfao: God, I'd love to see her face on this one!

I find that some women in general are just threatened by anyone who makes an effort with her clothes or appearance.
Spaceyjacy - this was such a great post. I also find that some women are threatened. Why can't you just enjoy seeing a well dressed woman (or man)? I sometimes love to take time with my wardrobe, but feel like a criminal if I go out of the house wearing something other than jeans and gore-tex!

I have had to deal with people like this my whole life. Some people feel the need to imply that attention to detail and love of wardrobe = dumb and shallow.
True, also. All great artists and scientists had an eye for detail.

I buy luxury because I really truly appreciate the subtle but impeccable craftsmanship and expert design. I agree that it can be equated with appreciation of fine wine, cuisine, etc.
ITA.

Its a pity that your coworker doesn't derive joy from her wardrobe. I think life would be terribly dreary if we didn't get as much enjoyment out of all the little bits as possible. Does she get to smile every time she picks up her purse or catches a glimps of herself in a window/mirror? I bet you do.:smile:
AGAIN, another great point!