People who put their purses on seats

...or Kelly...

:roflmfao:

I forgot about that :P but then if you are really scared for your Kelly you can always put it in the rain kit and carry it around in such a manner not possible with the Birkin (but then by the end of the day, I have seen someone soaping the rain kit in the toilet in my former workplace before :upsidedown:). Alternatively a more chic alternative is to carry it in a Wal-Mart plastic bag to show your anti-establishment tendencies, LOL

I prefer to have it on the seat but if someone wants to sit there, I absolutely will move it if someone asks "is someone sitting there?" I do the same to others, especially at school where most of my classes are the big lecture halls with stadium style seating. Most of the time if I'm at a movie or going to class, if I see a bag on a seat I assume it belongs to someone who's out of the room at the moment and will be back. So in that case I go sit somewhere else.
I don't really ever use public transportation so I don't have to worry about seating on a bus/train since I'm never on them. I think in that case I'd put my bag on my lap. But still, if people ask me if anyone is sitting in the spot where my bag is, I have no problem moving it so they can sit down.

that would be pretty darn rude if someone actually told you that that seat was not available! i'd never be that rude as to not offer a seat up, whether i was carrying an hermes or a grocery bag as a purse...

Sorry, just a pet peeve of mine and I see this happen everywhere. Anyone else feel the same?

You are absolutely correct to feel this way.
It is not only obnoxious but just absolutely no manners to not move your bag so someone can sit in an empty seat.
I totally agree with you and cannot stand when people are so selfish in this manner. Especially being from NY, there is not enough common courtesy around here. I know that sounds like a generalization, but I was in Montreal last month for the first time and was embarrassed how rude NYers are in comparison to all the nice people iN Montreal. They are so nice to eachother, common courtesy is a way of life there. As it should be.:cursing:

In restaurants, I put my bag on an empty seat only if no one needs it. If I see someone that may want to sit there, I always move it.

On public transporation, I always keep my bag in my lap. Anybody could just walk by you and take your bag.

I NEVER, NEVER, NEVER put my bag on the floor! I have seen just too many news segments that say that a purse has more germs on it than a toilet seat because women will put it on the floor, on public bathroom sinks, etc. Then you go home and put your bag on your bed, or counter and transfer the germs. Plus, I spend my hard earned money on my purses and I would never want one to get dirty because I placed it on the floor. I always put my bag on my lap.

i agree! I don't want my purse in the floor, I'll put it on my lap.

Never, never put your purse on the ground. I've been told by many SA's that this is a sure way to damage a bag. Please put it in your lap or on the seat next to you (of course not in public transport).

Like others, I like to set my bag down on the seat next to me. However, if someone would like to use that seat, I would gladly move it to my lap.

My pet peeve about handbags in public places is when they are set upon a table where people are eating. I loathe seeing purses on tables. Its an accident waiting to happen. Or maybe I am just clumsy!

I prefer to have my bags on the seat next to me, but of course, if it's starting to get crowded, I move it over to my lap before someone asks - I'll avoid putting my bag on the floor as far as possible.
HOWEVER one thing I always does when on public transportation is that if I'm reading, playing on my DS or is somewhat occupied or something other than my bag has my attention, I *always* have one of the handles on the bag around my vrist in case somebody would be tempted to fetch the bag while passing by. And yes, I know I'm paranoid.

My two cents on this... if you're that afraid of getting your bags dirty or damaged or whatever, don't bring them out of the house.

If you're just being rude, then you deserve to be told so.

I have a ponyhair in white... some jealous jerk kept telling me it was a bad mistake cause I'll get it dirty and damage it and it was such an awful buy. I know that it is inevitable that there will be some dirt or damage after extensive use, but I knew that when I bought it. I am certainly not going to put my bag on an empty seat when other people need a place to sit.

I also agree that if you want someone to move their bag, say so nicely first.

In restaurants, if there is an empty seat where we are seated at....BF would put my bag on it. But I won't specifically ask for a chair for the bag or anything like that. I have balanced my bag on my feet a couple of time but that's just a preference of mine not to put it on the floor. That just doesn't sit well with me.

When taking the train or bus, I always have it on my lap. Never on the seat beside me unless the train or bus is half-empty.

At the end of the day, it's just a bag. Sure, I treat it with lots of love and care but it's just a bag.

ITA. I'm a native NYer and have had to take subways my entire life. You know you can actually get a ticket (maybe $25?) if you obstructing a free seat. Cops have to be really bored to write that one though.
People always put their bags on seats. A good stare at the bag and a stare at the person is the universal sign for "Move it." Sometimes I specifically choose to sit next to bag-seat hoggers for this reason.

Sorry, but I always put my bag on an empty seat next to me. I will be more than happy to hold it in my lap if someone says "May I sit here?" or something of the like, I am not going to not put it there simply b/c people may *think* I've made it "unavailable".