People who know watches don't buy Relex

If Rolex watches were as flashy as the book's author said, the guy that robbed me years ago would have noticed it and taken it away from me.
Any watch (or piece of jewelry, scarf, shoes, bag) can look "flashy" or "tacky": it's very much a matter of taste. I'd never buy a yellow gold+diamonds watch, even if I could afford one, but for somebody else, it might be lovely.
This was a long way of saying: I agree with everybody else, whatever floats your boat!

this is true, nobody has ever complimented my cartier watches...but my plastic casio g watch always gets nice comments

I wonder if people in general feel more comfortable & free complimenting something they recognise as not too expensive. And, of course, its often the case that the cheaper watches look more interesting and in line with fashion.

I had a rolex that I got in college. I wore it every day for over ten years. Never took it off unless I absolutely had to. I never even had it serviced like you are supposed to. It was a wonderful watch. I had to sell it a couple of years ago but if I ever get another watch I want the same exact one.

If Rolex watches were as flashy as the book's author said, the guy that robbed me years ago would have noticed it and taken it away from me.
Any watch (or piece of jewelry, scarf, shoes, bag) can look "flashy" or "tacky": it's very much a matter of taste. I'd never buy a yellow gold+diamonds watch, even if I could afford one, but for somebody else, it might be lovely.
This was a long way of saying: I agree with everybody else, whatever floats your boat!

I was robbed at gunpoint and was actually looking at the time on my Rolex when the guys pulled their guns out. They didn't even notice it. They got $14. :nuts:

Don't base your decisions on just one person, read around.
See what you like. Maybe you fall in love with Rolex or not.
I have one, I don't use it as much as I should but it runs great and looks classic.
I chose Rolex b/c at the time I could not afford a Patek or Franck, or Piaget, not that I have any of the latter but be sure to take a look at your options.

If a person is looking for a well made watch, a proven brand and more accessable, Rolex is great.

But some ppl are looking for a true watch house with history and craftmanship and a little low key brand recongition...than there are alot of other brands that suite that better.

All depends on what your looking for, but this guys seems like he has the resources and the research done to see all the options and to compare...so he's opinion is pretty far fetched in that regard for most ppl and may not be revelvant.

I opted for the GP watch, after some research, because for the price..I felt that it was a better investment to get a watch from a historic watch maker. So I do agree that Rolex might not be the best choice for value and it does come with the brand reconginition that I dont like. All depends on what you want....

A person has to realize that there is always something better. It almost doesn't matter what you pay for something because there will always be something that is MORE expensive, MORE exclusive or harder to get. I guess it depends how just how much you want to play that game. Do you want to get the piece that is right for you, that you love? Or do you want to seek out something you had not considered before to impress people you've never met?

EXACTLY!!! And probably go out of your comfort zone price wise to do it. I think they are beautiful. Not everyone can afford a Ferrari either. Don't get too sucked into keeping up with the Ng's of the world.:P

A person has to realize that there is always something better. It almost doesn't matter what you pay for something because there will always be something that is MORE expensive, MORE exclusive or harder to get. I guess it depends how just how much you want to play that game. Do you want to get the piece that is right for you, that you love? Or do you want to seek out something you had not considered before to impress people you've never met?

ITA! I couldn't have said it better! :true: