People on Ebay make me mad!! :(

Before reading this thread I thought Ebay was the safest way for payment on ebay. Now I have to reconsider it.

It is ridiculous that the seller is punished for someone else's crime. Paypal is losing its credibility, there are fakes all over Ebay...Who will want to shop on ebay for luxury goods anymore after knowing the truth??

PurseSlave & BorsaBella, I do wish you could get back your money in the near future. Best of luck!

Luckily I'm not in a dispute with them now, but if I put up hundreds of items in the next year or so, I have a feeling they'd be on my backside at some point. I've always heard to empty your account after a Paypal desposit, but I'll just avoid the whole issue and go for the money orders.

sonya said:
Watch out though. Because paypal is linked with eBay, sometimes eBay will close your account until the paypal issue is resolved. This happened to me. I couldn't prove that I sent some of the items (they were sent to Europe, and the buyers did not choose express mail so I did not have tracking numbers). My paypal account was suspended. Because my paypal account was linked to my eBay account, they also suspended my eBay account.

It's a lose-lose situation.

Just a heads up for something else to watch out for- my friends just sold a $5000 watch on Ebay and as soon as they recieved and deposited the buyer's cashier's check, sent out the watch. Unfortunately, just a few days later, the bank siezed their $5000 saying the cashier's check was fraudulent! The FBI is currently investigating. Now they're out the watch AND the money. Apparently, even a cleared check isn't fool proof. I'm beginning to wonder if anything is! It's a scary world out there.

I know, this is such a problem as well!!!

Ammietwist: I usually empty my account, but right when all of this was happening my son (9 months) was super sick with the rotavirus and had to be hospitalized, so I didn't do it like an idiot. I just wasn't thinking about this, but the health of my baby. I usually do empty my account, and the one time I didn't...UGH!!

Thanks JoyFish!!

Yes, thank you joyfishyu!

If I already did spend the money (which I didn't) in my PayPal account (I have the PayPal debit card), would they still take that money away to leave me w/ a negative balance?

How is he doing now?

I wonder if emptying the account is enough though because then they can get all snarky and demand that you put the funds back in, or they'll get a collection agency on your tail. Or worse, you'll be in the middle of some listings, and unless you cancel them all, they'll take that money. Paypal seems to be more trouble than it's worth.

BorsaBella said:
I know, this is such a problem as well!!!

Ammietwist: I usually empty my account, but right when all of this was happening my son (9 months) was super sick with the rotavirus and had to be hospitalized, so I didn't do it like an idiot. I just wasn't thinking about this, but the health of my baby. I usually do empty my account, and the one time I didn't...UGH!!

Thanks JoyFish!!

I just had a scary thought.

What if you pay through Paypal ("Instant Payment"), and the seller waits a few days for the money to clear and then deposits it into their bank account. Then they delete that bank account from Paypal and their Paypal account has $0.00 and they never send the item to you? Can Paypal still get to the seller's funds, or is the buyer out of luck?

My DH and a lot of other people were in a big lawsuit with paypal 2 years ago. It was something like holding funds. Or something of the sort. My best friend also has $400 that paypal is withholding from her and when she emails them they just say they are doing a investigation. That is why I don't use paypal anymore.

IntlSet said:
I just had a scary thought.

What if you pay through Paypal ("Instant Payment"), and the seller waits a few days for the money to clear and then deposits it into their bank account. Then they delete that bank account from Paypal and their Paypal account has $0.00 and they never send the item to you? Can Paypal still get to the seller's funds, or is the buyer out of luck?

Wow, that is scary to think about. I'm sure it's happened before!

But, I think Ebay can still prove that you paid. Because when you pay through PayPal, they e-mail you a "receipt" for your payment.

I guess that could happen. Scary for both buying and selling, imo. There are scammers on both ends of PayPal.

I have been reading horror stories of PayPal sending collection agencies after people when PayPal has held or withdrawn their funds to pay back the cc, so they are out the $ and the goods plus collection agencies and potentially ruining your credit. Just not worth the hassel and risk, imo!

I have learned the hard way!! PayPal is so widely used and accepted, that it is hard to avoid it.

I don't want to sound like a whiner. I just want to make people aware of the potential problems and the fact that there is no recourse as it is set up now.

Scammers are using the system to their advantage and know that they will be able to get away with it. Especially if it is international.

This same thing happens to me too. I was so excited when someone finally buys my dior bag.
The buyer emails me that somoene hacked into his account and he is not the one bidding on it. What a load of crap. :sad:
I think he is just having a buyer's remorse. and decided to use the 'hacked account' reason to back out. Worst of all, my auction still has 6 more days to end. so that means i just paid a hefty listing fee for nothing. This really sucks big time.

update: The person says a 'hacker' got onto his e-mail account, so that's why the payment was unauthorized.....stupidddddddd!

PayPal took my money out for good...they marked it "complete." This sucks. Now I have to try to sell my bag ONCE AGAIN...geeze it's taking me forever lol..

whatever, there goes more money down the drain from Ebay listing fees. :sad:

Does this mean the hacker used someone else's ebay ID to purchase the bag? Or use someone's Paypal account to pay for it? Whatever it is, I'm sorry this happened but at least you still have the bag!

So now I'm worried when I get Paypal payment...does this mean I could possibly end up losing the money ANDthe item if I ship it out??:evil:

Gosh! It is getting scarier and scarier now!

Intlset, I hope the scammers are not looking at this thread ^^

The idea that cashier's check could also go wrong never came across my mind. Then, is money order the only safe way to get paid for what we sell? :hrmm:

I sort of begin to hate buying and selling on ebay now...:mad:

BorsaBella, I hope your little boy has gotten well now.