People flee Malibu wildfire!!! & other CA fires

1. (CNN) -- A series of wildfires Sunday in Southern California led to evacuations in some areas, including the dormitories at Pepperdine University's campus in Malibu, and shut down the Malibu section of the Pacific Coast Highway.

Three homes, one church, and three businesses have been destroyed, the Los Angeles County Fire Department said.
    Students at the Malibu campus were told to gather at Firestone Field House, while faculty and staff were gathering at Tyler Campus Center, campus police told CNN.
    School spokesman Rick Gibson said school authorities went door-to-door clearing out the dorms. However, he said the school does not believe students and faculty are in any danger.
    Los Angeles Fire Inspector Sam Padilla said the department was encouraging evacuations at the school because aerial views of the fires, fanned by winds, showed some buildings on the campus were threatened.
    Power was also knocked out on the campus, he said.
    The residential area Malibu Crest and vacation area Sierra Retreat also were evacuated Sunday, he said.

About 200 homes were evacuated, said Inspector Rick Dominguez of the Los Angeles County Fire Department.
    "We're all scared to death and we have nowhere to go," Susan Nuttall, 51, told The Associated Press as she sat in her black Mercedes in a cul-de-sac after fleeing her condominium near the Pepperdine campus. She was wearing a bathrobe and holding her Chihuahua.
    Evacuation centers were set up at Zuma Beach, Dominguez said.
    Video showed flames consuming the landmark Castle Kashan, a fortress-like home with turrets and arched windows. Chunks of brick fell from the exterior of the burning building overlooking the coast. The house was not directly in the fire's path, but the powerful winds carried embers to the building, Dominguez said. Castle Kashan is the home of Lilly Lawrence, a Malibu philanthropist.
    Daniel Collins, who has been staying at Castle Kashan for a few months, talked to CNN Sunday afternoon. He said he woke to thick smoke and "flames licking the windows."
    He escaped safely and met with neighbors who all seemed to be safe, too.
    "It's all starting to sink in," he said.
    The winds -- between 60 and 70 mph -- could send embers flying "a mile or two," triggering flames wherever they land, Dominguez said. "With the erratic wind behavior, it's hard to see where they will land," he said. Authorities had aerial teams serving as lookouts, and sent helicopters and fire engines to areas as they became threatened, Dominguez said.
    The Malibu Wildfire had consumed more than 1,000 acres, according to the Los Angeles Fire Department.
    About 250 firefighters were working to combat the fast-moving flames in Malibu, Padilla said.
    Four homes were engulfed in flames and numerous businesses were threatened, CNN Producer Paul Vercammen reported from the scene.
    Residents of the threatened areas include Dick Van Dyke, Mel Gibson, and Olivia Newton John.
    Meanwhile, another wind-driven wildfire has burned more than 500 acres of woodland in the Townsend Peak area of California's Angeles National Forest, in the northern section of Los Angeles County, according to U.S. Forest Service spokesman Stanton Florea.
    The fire, which started just before 10 p.m. PT Saturday, threatens a condor habitat and has destroyed one outbuilding, Florea said.
    The U.S. Forest Service, the Los Angeles County Fire Department and the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection have sent 200 people to fight the fire, he said.

2. [​IMG]
  3. Oh no! Not again! The weather is so freakin' crazy!!
  4. Malibu Celebs on Fire Watch

Posted Oct 21st 2007 2:45PM by TMZ Staff
    Filed under: Breaking News
    James Cameron and Olivia Newton-John have been evacuated, and there are many more celebs in the Malibu area whose homes are in danger. Numerous homes along Pacific Coast Highway have been evacuated.
    The Malibu County and Carbon Beach residents include: Jennifer Aniston, Sting, Bill Murray, Nick Nolte, Robin Wright Penn, Mel Brooks, Howie Mandel, Tatum O'Neal, Rob Reiner, Goldie Hawn, Linda Ronstadt, Jeff Bridges, David Arquette and Courteney Cox, David Geffen, Jeffrey Katzenberg,Tom Hanks and Rita Wilson.

The fire is believed to have started when arcing power lines, downed by fierce Santa Ana winds, ignited dry brush around 5:00 AM Sunday. California has had one of the worst droughts in years, leaving hillsides especially vulnerable to brushfires. Over 1000 acres and numerous structures have already burned. More than 500 firefighters from all over the area are fighting the flames -- still being fanned by gusting winds, which are expected to continue for several days. Roughly 200 homes have been evacuated.

5. L.A. Fire Chief: Three Residences Lost

Posted Oct 21st 2007 3:45PM by TMZ Staff
    Filed under: Breaking News
    [​IMG]P. Michael Freeman, the Fire Chief for Los Angeles County, just completed a press conference in which he said that two commercial structures and three residences were deemed a "total loss" -- but there were no injuries sustained by citizens or firefighters.

In addition, Freeman said that nine additional residences suffered "moderate to minor" damage, mostly to the exteriors.

Freeman also said that four businesses in the Colony Creek shopping center sustained exterior damage.

No word on if any of those homes are owned by celebrities.
  6. Malibu Castle Was About to Be Sold!

Posted Oct 21st 2007 2:40PM by TMZ Staff
    [​IMG]Malibu Castle, which perished in today's fire, was actually in Escrow and set to have the final walk-through on Wednesday.

The deal was expected to close this Friday, and while the final selling price can't be confirmed, it had an asking price of $17 million.

The home is owned by socialite Lilly Lawrence, who was not home at the time of the blaze.
    Hodge Castle Ablaze

The Malibu landmark Hodge Castle is engulfed in flames at this time -- and reports say it has been completely destroyed.
    Hodge Castle, also known as Malibu Castle and owned by socialite Lilly Lawrence, is known for hosting numerous charity events over the years. The castle was also home to a collection of priceless Elvis Presley memorabilia. The nearby Malibu Presbyterian Church was also destroyed by flames.
  7. Ugh yeah I'm down here in San Diego and there is a fire fairly close to looks and smells terrible outside, don't know if we will have to evacuate or not. :s

8. Oh I hope not!! It sounds terrifying to be involved in something like that! :wtf:
  9. I feel bad for everyone in the area:sad:
  10. Ugh, same here. I have nothing else to do but watch the news for breaking stories about this, I'll post a pic in a minute.
  11. Here..not so great but I refuse to go outside.
    100_9834.JPG 100_9835.JPG
  12. I'm visiting my friend this weekend -- who lives on the border of Malibu.
    It horribly Smokey and the sky in an eerie orange cast.
  13. There are 4 right now, Malibu, Aqua Dulce, Canyon Country and San Diego.
  14. How terrible, I feel so bad for everyone affected by this. Stay safe everyone!
  15. Do the Beckhams live in Malibu? If so, I hope they and the Lenos are safe. (They live in the same neighborhood, so if the Beckhams were evacuated or affected at all, so would Jay Leno and his wife.)

Stay safe, everyone!