Pcos

1. I was diagnosed with PCOS today. I am still digesting.:s Not sure how to deal with this news. I have been trying to have a baby for 6 months and its been unsuccessful. :s :s

I have been buying handbags to take my mind off this.

Does anyone have any similar experiences that turned out positive?

I hope this is the right place to post this. If not, I apologize.

2. *hugs*
    Sorry to hear the bad news ... I don't know much about your condition but I do hope your feeling better with handbag purchases????

3. Could you tell me what this is, please??? And regardless of what it is...I am sorry that you have it!!

4. It is called polycystic ovary syndrome. It is when your menstual cycles are irregular and as a result one does not ovulate timeously. One could also have cysts on the ovaries. It becomes very difficult to conceive a baby...

Thats the best I could do to explain in a simple manner.

5. Sekmeht, sorry to hear about your news. Are fertility drugs an option? Have you considered adoption? (there are so many babies out there who need loving parents.) I hope you hear good news from some of the other PFers! I'll keep you in my prayers!

6. Webmd terminology
    PCOS is a health problem that can affect a woman’s menstrual cycle, fertility, hormones, insulin production, heart, blood vessels, and appearance. Women with PCOS have these characteristics:

high levels of male hormones, also called androgens
    an irregular or no menstrual cycle
    may or may not have many small cysts in their ovaries. Cysts are fluid-filled sacs.
    PCOS is the most common hormonal reproductive problem in women of childbearing age.

7. Thanks Pippi. The doctors have recommended Metformin and Clomid. I am starting those tomorrow. Yes, I have considered adoption. I just want to try every avenue possible before I go that route.

Thanks for the kind words.

Well I start clomid at my next cycle.

8. I got this from wikipedia. (I posted part of it and then the link to the rest of the article below.)

Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS, also known clinically as Stein-Leventhal syndrome), is an endocrine disorder that affects 5–10% of women. It occurs amongst all races and nationalities, is the most common hormonal disorder among women of reproductive age, and is a leading cause of infertility. The symptoms and severity of the syndrome vary greatly between women. While the causes are unknown, insulin resistance (often secondary to obesity) is heavily correlated with PCOS.

Polycystic ovary syndrome - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You poor thing! You have every right to post this here! We're here to listen (and give you hugs!)

Before I started college I was diagnosed with premature ovarian failure. I knew something was wrong because I didn't get my period until I was 16, and even then I had to take birth control pills. I was devestated. At the time, I never thought about wanting children, but I wanted the option. After the diagnosis, I felt that chance was taken away from me. (Around that time I went into FAO Schwartz and I got so weepy I had to leave.)

As I got older, I realized I didn't have to give birth to a child to have children. I could carry and give birth to a child, but it would be some other woman's egg and my husband's sperm. That idea just makes me very uncomfortable. I gradually decided I was meant to adopt. Now, when I'm ready, I'd like to adopt a little girl from China.

I don't think about it much anymore. I have to take birth control pills for the rest of my life to give me the proper amount of hormones.

Thinking about it, there are bright sides: You wouldn't accidentally get pregnant. Once you get married, you can save money on condoms! You won't need them and when you're ready to have children, you'll be able to plan for them! (And other people are stuck with their kids. If you decide to adopt, you'll get to pick yours!)

9. Thanks for the kind and comforting words caitlin. I really appreciate it. My husband and I are going to give this treatment a couple of months and if that does not work out, we are definitely going to consider adopting. To be honest I have already starting looking into it.

10. hi sekmeht..
    i'm sorry to hear about your diagnosis..
    but i hope you've been told that a very large proportion of women with pcos who are treated for subfertility can conceive and give birth..(i'm currently doing an obstetrics/gynae rotation as part of my degree)
    hope that it's true for you too! :smile:
    good luck :L:

11. Oh my gosh Sekmeht, I am sorry to hear this. I hope you get better, and that you are able to conceive. All positive energy for you. Please, relax, and please start treatment asap. I will keep you in my prayers.

12. Sorry to hear that you're experiencing PCOS. I hope this treatment will work in your favor. Best wishes to you! :flowers:

Please keep us posted no the progress!

13. i was diagnosed with PCOS about 4 years ago. i had never had a regular cycle (it wasn't uncommon for me to go six months between cycles). then they all of a sudden stopped for NO reason. i'd been also been gaining weight and breaking out like crazy, among other things.

since i wasn't trying to have a baby at the time, my dr suggested just letting my body do it's thing....but she mentioned that if i lost a little bit of weight, it might help with the outward symptoms (acne, hair growth, etc). i've lost 70+ pounds since then and all my symptoms have disappeared. i now have a regular cycle for the first time in my life (including ovulating every month). if you're overweight (i know not all women with PCOS are, but most fall into that catagory) even 10% of your body weight can effect what symptoms are showing. PCOS makes it SO much harder to lose weight, but it's also the best thing you can do to aliviate symptoms.

when i was first diagnosed i found a lot of really helpful information here: SoulCysters.com: Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) Treatment & Resources the book taking charge of your fertility by teri weschler also really helped me through that time. it taught me what each stage of my cycles meant and how to tell what was going on with my body at any given moment, even though i wasn't on a standard 28 day timetable. i felt much less betrayed by my body once i understood what it was doing.

hopefully the met/clomid will work for you. it's a pretty reliable cocktail that works for a lot of women. i know it's a lot to take in and kind of scary but there are a lot of avenues out there! something will work for you! :flowers:

14. Sekmet - Hi there. I too have PCOS. I'm 21 years old and I've been diagnosed for about 4 years or so. It makes me gain weight really easily and causes abnormal hair growth (so annoying!). I've been on a water pill and birth control for years and it seems to have helped. I've never tried to have a baby before because I'm not quite there in my life yet. Your doctors should be able to help. It's a very common syndrome and doctors have lot's of experience dealing with patients with this. I would suggest just to try and relax and let the medication do it's work befor you jump to any conclusions.

15. I totally understand. I was diagnosed with PCOS about nine weeks ago, and I've been having similar emotions about my diagnosis. While women with PCOS have more difficulty getting pregnant, it's not impossible. Please don't lose hope.

You should check out the Soul Cysters forum (if you haven't already.) ilzabet already mentioned it, but I wholeheartedly recommend it to. It's been a godsend for me.

Take care. :flowers: